Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Upgrades...where to get them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Upgrades...where to get them?

I was reading over the stickie posts and many of the links for MRC parts are dead. I understand this is a discontinued platform and thus...I'm sure many aftermarket parts makers have also stopped supporting the MRC.

So I'm just wondering where one might still find some upgrade parts for these rc's? Are we limited to ebay and used? I have two of them coming that I'd like to upgrade to varying degrees. I'll admit...I haven't done an exhaustive search yet, but so far what looking I have done has yielded little.

And another related question, are products from Hot Racing and Integy any good? Those are the only ones I'm really seeing out there other than some Losi stuff. Not having the trucks yet I don't really know what I want to upgrade....I figure though that the common knuckles, chubs, and rear lockouts are good things to do and possibly bent links and some internal stuff in the axles and transmission.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #2

Default Re: Upgrades...where to get them?

Another option could also be to custom fabricate/ make things such as upper and lower links
CJP_8_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Probably an option I'm not going to be able to tackle...know how and tools for that kinda stuff are both lacking. I'll certainly look into it though and perhaps it's not as difficult as I think it would be.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Try and contact dravpnir.. From Dravtech. He makes axles, chassis etc..
Also vaterra has a similar car. Made from the same parts...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D6503 met Tapatalk
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Try and contact dravpnir.. From Dravtech. He makes axles, chassis etc..
Also vaterra has a similar car. Made from the same parts...
Thanks. Sent him a message. I also just learned that the SlickRock was basically a Losi MRC so I'll be watching for parts for them as well.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #6

The parts are where you find them which does require a lot of searching but most of it is available out there. Anything drive-train is in common with the Slickrock: motor, tranny, axles, etc. Hi quality motors are the biggest hitch right now as the only few options are too fast requiring really low gearing.

Last edited by 0reo; 01-18-2016 at 09:29 PM.
0reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I've never had a mini before. I'm sure if it wasn't a huge hassle everyone would be doing it....but what about shoehorning a full size motor in there? Is it possible with some chassis work or a new chassis or is there more issues than just fit? I've never had or been around a mini so I don't know the actual size difference in motors but I don't remember the full size ones being very big.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Rpp does carry some things that would work for the MRC.
Vaterra Slickrock 1/18
The Best shocks I've found for them are the Aluminum Shock Set with TiNi Shafts.
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The two I got are both Pros so they have the metal shock bodies but I assume they are some sort of steel shafts? Seems like from what I've read so far they should be pretty solid units out of the box...maybe a driveshaft upgrade if I can find them and better servos to start. After that not sure...might stock up on some parts just in case of breakage. Some bent links. Metal steering components. I don't plan to get all crazy and end up with something that ends up not even being a Losi anymore. But I do want something that will be tough and take some abuse and perform decently.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 AM   #10

I've had good success making steering linkages out of titanium turnbuckles. It requires putting a very slight bend in the long one but that's easy.

IMHO, E.Y. Designs makes the best knuckles out there but I wish they used tungsten rather then brass. The aluminum front chubs are available as slickrock parts. The only CVD axle shafts available right now are ERacing. The best drive shafts are SDI propeller shafts. Its an odd adaptation but it works and they are quality parts. RC4WD makes a good wheel widener kit. Otherwise you can fit 8mm wide hexes if you can find ones that fit these skinny axle shafts. If you have the Pro then you already have the aluminum rear hubs and one piece axle shafts? Those are out there but very rare and out of production now.

If I think of anything else I'll post it here.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Probably an option I'm not going to be able to tackle...know how and tools for that kinda stuff are both lacking. I'll certainly look into it though and perhaps it's not as difficult as I think it would be.
A dremel is really the only tool you need.

Lots of reading!
Quote:
I've never had a mini before. I'm sure if it wasn't a huge hassle everyone would be doing it....but what about shoehorning a full size motor in there? Is it possible with some chassis work or a new chassis or is there more issues than just fit? I've never had or been around a mini so I don't know the actual size difference in motors but I don't remember the full size ones being very big.
Hahaha.. It's been done, a time or 2.. But once you get a mini in your hands, you'll realize, is not something that you can just bolt on.
I made a go at it once.. Custom adapter plate and all.. Just never went thru with it, cause it would of just broke parts.

A lnc tranny would be the route to go, but then a wider skid is needed, to fit the tranny.. I've also started this route, as well.
Specially now with the XR modded front, on one rig and DravTech axles on another.
Quote:
The two I got are both Pros so they have the metal shock bodies but I assume they are some sort of steel shafts? Seems like from what I've read so far they should be pretty solid units out of the box...maybe a driveshaft upgrade if I can find them and better servos to start. After that not sure...might stock up on some parts just in case of breakage. Some bent links. Metal steering components. I don't plan to get all crazy and end up with something that ends up not even being a Losi anymore. But I do want something that will be tough and take some abuse and perform decently.
Your Pro's should come with cvd's.. The drive shafts, either MIPS or SDI 4mm.

If you want to upgrade the knuckles, make sure they are high steer knuckles!
Rcbros or EY designs.. Just buying aluminum knuckles, is a waste of money. (In a better steering, point of view)

If you search my screen name, I have a "couple" mini threads.. All have a good bit of what I'm talking about, with pictures and mods..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

Does SDI still make CVDs for the MRC/Slickrock?

Upgrades...where to get them? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Upgrades?? Tommy_Boy_1184 Axial XR10 17 12-09-2010 11:24 AM
upgrades daleo8803 Duratrax Cliff Climber 6 11-01-2008 12:05 AM