Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #701
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
The rock rey looks rediculous, but it needs the center diff locked in my opinion.
Looks like not all have realized that the Rock Ray has a transmission and the Baja Rey has a centre diff.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #702
Rock Crawler

Cant really understand why the Baja Rey and Rock Rey is released as a Losi product. Should have been Vaterra products. Since all recent horizon products with scale detail has been branded as Vaterra.

This is also in direct competition with Axial, same as other Vaterra products.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #703
I wanna be Dave

The turd hammer is a vaterra vehicle. The new rigs are likely built correctly and not nearly as fragile as the turd hammer so why would they release a new rig to be directly in competition with the same brand?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #704
Rock Crawler

You do indeed live up to your name.

First of all its not in direct competition with the Twin Hammers at all, Twin Hammers is 1.9 and this is 2.2. Width and length is different also.
If so, it is just as much in competition with Vaterra products now. Since they are both Horizon products and the same dealers carry them.

And the Awsome Hammers is though as nails. Its the most durable truck with the least amount of required fixes to preform of all my 20 crawlers from a variety of brands. The Yeti is 10x the turd compared to the Twin hammers!

But anyway, this looks good, and tickles my fancy.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #705
I wanna be Dave

The turd hammer has trash steering. Blue monkey has a kit that changes it but it still sucks. The trans is fragile (I bent the input shaft) and the cv axles are weak garbage.

I'm not saying the yeti isn't complete crap too so don't think I'm playing favorites.

Oh and thanks, I like my screen name too, that's why I chose it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #706
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelowDoom View Post
Looks like not all have realized that the Rock Ray has a transmission and the Baja Rey has a centre diff.

Did you realized they use the same trans/diff??
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27 AM   #707
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Did you realized they use the same trans/diff??
Is there a diff inside the gearbox then?
If that is the case I have overlooked it. But how do that work with the U4 rules, don't they ban center diff?

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #708
RCC Addict

Yes, the Rock Rey has a center diff. Look at the photos on the website.

If U4 bans center diffs, just put a locker in there, or lock the diff yourself with JB Weld.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #709
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Yes, the Rock Rey has a center diff. Look at the photos on the website.

If U4 bans center diffs, just put a locker in there, or lock the diff yourself with JB Weld.

Can't lock the center diff with jbweld, will trap your bearing in the outdrive. A few pages back I put a locker on mine. There should be a part number for the locker I used.
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #710
I wanna be Dave

You guys just need to drink some heavy beer and thank horizon and white trash for the butthurt. In my honest drunk opinion the rock rey can suck it and get its own thread.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #711
Pebble Pounder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-I_ahZcc2M

Mostly just testing out the new Karma Grip, but this is also the first time I really ran the BR. What a fantastic truck. So easy to control and drive and TONS of power on stock 3S. There's a speed run or two in that footage (50 seconds in) on the pavement and it got so squirly just because it's so damn fast.

Can't figure out why the audio is so bad, but I've read there are some issues. Need to investigate that.
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:45 PM   #712
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Can't lock the center diff with jbweld, will trap your bearing in the outdrive. A few pages back I put a locker on mine. There should be a part number for the locker I used.
That works.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:14 AM   #713
RCC Addict

My Baja Rey was on the porch when I got home this afternoon. I charged up the only battery that I had that would fit (3s 30c) and took it for its maiden voyage, in the rain, in my culdesac, without regearing... holy crap, that's too fast to be useful for me!

I put it on its lid a couple times, it drives much different than the 2wd sct's and 1/8 buggies I've driven as it is much more "lively" with body roll and brake dive. Even in the rain, the locked rear diff was much more noticeable at speed than I would have expected. I'll borrow my son's 2s and put the truck in some dirt before deciding on 2s vs 3s and gearing. Either way, there will be a new, higher capacity battery in this trucks near future. Judging by the warmth of my pack at the end of the run, 3200mah 30c (96amp) continuous is probably a bit lower discharge than ideal. Any suggestions for something that has a high capacity, ec3 connector, and is a good fit in this truck?

I'm super excited to have finally got a Baja Rey!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 AM   #714
RCC Addict

I use 2S 5000mAh 35C packs for all my RCs. The batteries are warm after a run, but that's fine. It's when they're hot and puffy that you've got problems.

The Baja Rey is easiest to drive when you embrace oversteer as the primary method of turning sharp corners. If you rely on the front wheels to do all the steering, it will traction-roll like crazy. To this end, removing the AVC receiver and replacing it with a normal receiver and standalone gyro, or else figuring out how to disable throttle-control on the AVC receiver, will help immensely.

Take apart the diffs, fill the center one with 30K oil and the front one with plain old grease, then grease the ring and pinion gears on all three diffs. From the factory mine was "greased" with a few drops of some silicone lube that was totally inadequate.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #715
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
My Baja Rey was on the porch when I got home this afternoon. I charged up the only battery that I had that would fit (3s 30c) and took it for its maiden voyage, in the rain, in my culdesac, without regearing... holy crap, that's too fast to be useful for me!

I put it on its lid a couple times, it drives much different than the 2wd sct's and 1/8 buggies I've driven as it is much more "lively" with body roll and brake dive. Even in the rain, the locked rear diff was much more noticeable at speed than I would have expected. I'll borrow my son's 2s and put the truck in some dirt before deciding on 2s vs 3s and gearing. Either way, there will be a new, higher capacity battery in this trucks near future. Judging by the warmth of my pack at the end of the run, 3200mah 30c (96amp) continuous is probably a bit lower discharge than ideal. Any suggestions for something that has a high capacity, ec3 connector, and is a good fit in this truck?

I'm super excited to have finally got a Baja Rey!

rc king batteries is what I use and race with. they have a nice 7200mah batt. has a 140c burst and 70c constant ratings. internal resistance is pretty low. overall good batteries.

at a full charge, I can run my Baja rey for 7-8 minutes and put the battery directly at storage voltage.

and to add on to what fyrstormer said, replace your pinion bearings right away. cause in 3 runs they are likely to grenade. this will save your ring and pinions.

im actually about to put bad horsies diff greas in my center diff. it will probably be the only thing that wont leak out.. 60k went in 6 heats and 2 mains.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #716
RCC Addict

Changing to the 10t pinion on 3s made the top speed more reasonable for me. We got 2.5" of rain last night, but somehow the street was dry this morning so I got to run it through another pack. I played with the avc knob and found that the truck handles odd with avc dialed up, and pulls consistently left with it turned off. Leaving avc a little under the halfway mark allowed my wife and 6 year old to keep relatively good control at full throttle. I read this thread end to end and it does sound like rear pinion bearings are the #1 thing to keep an eye on.

This truck gives me much less desire to mod vs. our crawlers, I like the way it runs and drives right out of the box. That's not to say that I won't modify it, but it seems like I don't HAVE to modify it. On that note: has anyone picked up the Losi branded light bar (los330001) yet? I see the mounting holes in the cage, but I can't quite tell if it mounts below the roofline (hopefully) so as to be protected by the body/cage in a wreck? The price ($24?) and direct bolt-on mounting make it tempting.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 AM   #717
I wanna be Dave

it mounts underside. and the front pinion bearings too. don't forget those.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #718
RCC Addict

The lack of needing to mod the Baja Rey is one of the things I like best about it. It handles well enough out of the box that all it needs is to have the diffs tuned for your preferred driving terrain.

The light bar looks cool, but without taillights as well it's not practical to drive the Baja Rey at night, because you need the extra reference points to tell exactly which direction the truck is pointing when it's not facing towards you. And anyway, the handling is just finicky enough that you need to be able to see the oncoming terrain before the truck gets there, or you'll flip it and roll it all over the place. I don't think it would make a very good nighttime truck.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 01-10-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #719
RCC Addict

I put a full pack through mine in the dark (by moonlight) last night near my buddies house. There is a bmx "six pack" just outside his neighborhood that we we're running on. Since we were just hitting the same 3 doubles over and over, a lightbar and tail lights would have been enough to square up for take off and adjust pitch mid-flight.

I had a couple nose dives (lawn dart!) and one mid air collision, but only slightly bent an upper link (which I was able to bend back.) The head on from the day before took out an a-arm on my buddies brand new slash, with no damage to the baja rey. Luckily he's got parts availability on his side as one text message had a good used one is his hand!

I'm going to see about making some upper links with the Jato rod ends and aluminum tube I've still got laying around. I also am going to try 60wt oil in the rear shocks since that's the only heavier oil I've got and "local" hobbyshops are non-existent (in a town of well over 100,000!?)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #720
RCC Addict

Servo literally melted today while just driving back and forth in the church parking lot. Oh well, finally gave me an excuse to pull the cage off and take care of greasing gears, putting fluid in the center diff, and inspecting bearings.

I see several of you have gone with the Savox 1258, which is 3 times as fast, but about the same torque as the stock Spektrum. Are you happy with the torque? What are some other good options around that same price point (<$60)? I saw a generic "RC Gear" servo at Tower Hobbies (0.18s, 299oz) that's about 25% faster than the stocker, but with double the torque for around $50, or even the $35 water proof traxxas servo looks to be an improvement over the stock servo. I'd like to set my max budget at $60 total but I don't know what kind of speed or torque I should be shooting for (obviously faster than 0.24s and more than 161oz tq)

Edit: I've been digging around and gave Promodeler a look and I like the specs on the 215v3 ($60, 0.09s, 215oz, water resistant.) I purchased their 420v3 last year and it continues to impress, so the 215 is looking like a good contender for the baja rey. It is listed as a high voltage servo , with an operating range of 5.5-8.4v, so I'll need to see what voltage the receiver is currently running before making the plunge or adding a ubec. Still open to other options though.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 01-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM