Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2016, 01:38 AM   #681
RCC Addict

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

They look fine to me. I wouldn't mind if they were anodized a dark color instead of shiny silver, but that's my only complaint.

And yes, I have several parts from you and they're attractive as well as functional. ;)
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #682
I wanna be Dave

took 4th place in the amain, I q'd 6th place. I moved the rear shocks out one hole top mount and link mount.. truck slid around even more, I lost forward bite but I was more consistent in the jumps. I think im going to move the shocks back to the front holes after track change. I also need to play around with shock oils and im going to taper the underside of the piston holes for quicker rear drop. front is fine... im gaining lap time because my steering is getting really worn out.. the alum steering stuff should fix this. hopefully my order comes in before the 7th of jan.. btw.. im 3rd in points this series. with a solid axle truck. IRS can stick it!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #683
Pebble Pounder

sounds like a great time cm9000!! what servo horn are you running?
jreckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #684
I wanna be Dave

im running an associated sc104x4 servo horn. its a pain to get on the truck but its the best plastic one im using.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #685
Pebble Pounder

I need to tear into mine. It seemed like the last time I ran it the steering was all over the place. not sure if its the horn or possibly the servo? so much snow here now I am kind of stuck with it on the bench for now until I can do a track day somewhere for some test and tune.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #686
RCC Addict

If you have the stock servo and horn, the problem is both. Spektrum servos are crap, and the plastic servo horn develops slop really fast. I use a Hitec HS-7955TG servo and a Team Losi aluminum servo horn (part number LOSA99033 to fit a 24-spline servo).

My aluminum front shock tower and servo mount showed up a few days ago. Still waiting on other backordered upgrades from Losi. I'm not installing them until I have all the parts I need, so I only have to remove that damned rollcage once. (and yet, it's still better than the Axial EXO.)
Old 12-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #687
RCC Addict

Rear shock mounts and rear link mounts showed up today. The rear shock mounts are really impressive pieces of machining, definitely primo-quality parts. I assume they would use good aluminum for parts this complicated, anyway.

Still waiting on aluminum bellcranks to arrive. And dammit, I wish they would make a set of aluminum shocks.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #688
Pebble Pounder

looks like new servo and horn need ordered. thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #689

The Rock Rey. Looks much better than the Yeti IMO.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #690
RCC Addict

So besides the locked rear diff, is the chassis/drivetrain largely the same as the Baja Rey? I like the look of the Baja Rey better, but the Rock Rey looks to have the makings of a better basher.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #691
RCC Addict

The Baja Rey also has a locked rear diff. These IFS/SRS trucks just don't work well with unlocked rear diffs; there's too much torque-steer.

Dammit Horizon, how am I supposed to stop buying toys if you keep coming up with good vehicles? I was thinking about getting a Bomber, but now I want this. That center diff makes SO much difference in a vehicle like this.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 PM   #692
RCC Addict

Okay. I've seen enough. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Baja Rey. It really wasn't in my budget so I had been looking into the Yeti JR SCORE 1/18 as a cheaper alternative... the reviews from the early adopters made me decide against it. I also didn't get the Proline Ambush that I asked Santa (my wife) for, so I had a little more leeway on blowing some money. The stars aligned when I came across an "open box" Baja Rey at a significant enough discount to consider, hopefully it's in good shape!

The new Rock Rey looks nice too, but we've got a handful of crawlers that will certainly out crawl it, and the Baja Rey should do a better job at giving me my "go-fast" fix. Looking forward to it!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:05 PM   #693
RCC Addict

I jumped on the Baja Rey as soon as it became available, but I'm going to let other people test the Rock Rey first. I think it will be nice, but I want to see whether it traction-rolls and tail-hops constantly like my Yeti did.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #694
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
I jumped on the Baja Rey as soon as it became available, but I'm going to let other people test the Rock Rey first. I think it will be nice, but I want to see whether it traction-rolls and tail-hops constantly like my Yeti did.
The combo of my Bomber Kit and the Baja Rey pretty much covers me. I don't miss my Yeti RR at all. Tho it was kind of nice to be able to go back and forth between RR and Trophy Truck w/ some tires/body/bumper. 10 min. and you have a new truck. Maybe the Baja and Rock Reys will be able to do the same?
Dbdynsty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #695
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=Dbdynsty25;5628956]The combo of my Bomber Kit and the Baja Rey pretty much covers me. I don't miss my Yeti RR at all. Tho it was kind of nice to be able to go back and forth between RR and Trophy Truck w/ some tires/body/bumper. 10 min. and you have a new truck. Maybe the Baja and Rock Reys will be able to do the same?[/QUOTE/]

They should, although it'll take a while - all that looks different to me are the:

Bodies
Bumpers
Roll cages
Wheels/tires
Front shock towers
Front shocks (RR's are longer, hence taller shock tower)

Everything else seems the same, but it'll take more work and time to switch from BR to RR...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:47 AM   #696
I wanna be Dave

The whole front suspension is different. And btw ecerybody.. I took second place with the baja rey at the last race. The only thing i have to show for it is a podium picture. The rock rey looks rediculous but it needs the center diff locked in my opinion. And to everybody who wanted the baja rey to be what its not. Go thank horizon for making it. You now can put 2.2 crawler tires on a "trophy truck"
Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #697
RCC Addict

I'm betting that really thick diff oil will work better in the center diff than a locker would. It's not a rock crawler, it's a rock racer. You're not supposed to come to a stop while climbing over stuff with it.

I pre-ordered a Rock Rey last night. Gonna try to sell a couple vehicles in the meantime to make up for it.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-31-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #698
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
The whole front suspension is different. And btw ecerybody.. I took second place with the baja rey at the last race. The only thing i have to show for it is a podium picture. The rock rey looks rediculous but it needs the center diff locked in my opinion. And to everybody who wanted the baja rey to be what its not. Go thank horizon for making it. You now can put 2.2 crawler tires on a "trophy truck"
Let the butthurt flow through you, yes let it all out.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #699
I wanna be Dave

Rock Rey looks badass and Losi quality and engineering tells me it will walk the dog on a Yeti. If I was a rock racer I'd be in line to get one.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #700

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I'm confused. Are you defending or bashing the Rock Rey and Horizon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
Rock Rey looks badass and Losi quality and engineering tells me it will walk the dog on a Yeti. If I was a rock racer I'd be in line to get one.
I'm sure it will. Losi knows how to make suspension geometry from their racing heritage and their durability and quality are light years better than anything Axial has made up to this point.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM