Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southeast > Louisiana

Notices

Thread: Cold Cajun Crawler Party 1/21/12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #21

Default Re: Cold Cajun Crawler Party 1/21/12

Sorry for the late reply Shell.. I have a Losi Comp Crawler that I bought exactly a week ago today.

I just threw in some old stuff I had lying around to get it crawling. Right now it has 7oz of weight in the front wheels , 3oz in the rear. A 15 turn Orion brushed motor on a old novak duster 2 esc. I bought a new servo for it the strongest the local hobby shop had which wasn't enough. Only about 170 oz of tq..

I took it out crawling a few little things and found the weak spots in my setup I was running a pinion that was way to big at first. Thought I had toasted the motor

Any way I'm taking the Castle sidewinder out of my Race truck sc10 4x4 and upgrading that truck. I just have to find a motor for it. I'm hearing good things about the ballistic 13.5 and 18.5 turn. I'm running it on a 2s 5000 mah lipo now, I have to order something smaller that will fit the battery holder and still offer good run time. Also ordering another receiver for my 3pm-x so I can run the dig.

urbanassault is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareDiver View Post
Hey Shell if im in ill show up with my mini. I believe it still works from the last time i played with it.
Sounds good Brandon, hope to see you there. Been trying to decide if I'll fix mine before or not. Needs rebuild and electronics got cannibalized.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanassault View Post
Sorry for the late reply Shell.. I have a Losi Comp Crawler that I bought exactly a week ago today.

I just threw in some old stuff I had lying around to get it crawling. Right now it has 7oz of weight in the front wheels , 3oz in the rear. A 15 turn Orion brushed motor on a old novak duster 2 esc. I bought a new servo for it the strongest the local hobby shop had which wasn't enough. Only about 170 oz of tq..

I took it out crawling a few little things and found the weak spots in my setup I was running a pinion that was way to big at first. Thought I had toasted the motor

Any way I'm taking the Castle sidewinder out of my Race truck sc10 4x4 and upgrading that truck. I just have to find a motor for it. I'm hearing good things about the ballistic 13.5 and 18.5 turn. I'm running it on a 2s 5000 mah lipo now, I have to order something smaller that will fit the battery holder and still offer good run time. Also ordering another receiver for my 3pm-x so I can run the dig.

I think that's a great start. I started with a night crawler 2 years ago. Good platform, and you will learn alot while tuning it. Hope to see you out here.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Got some work done yesterday and today. All the rock is off the trailer and about 75% of it is in place. Finished washing it down right before the rain started, so it should be super clean in a couple days when this monsoon stops. Great timing on the rain, things should settle in nice and tight with the ground this soft.
Will post a few pics later, I'm going to go more into detail of the what and the why in my rock garden thread mentioned in the first post up there.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Here's the pics, didn't have any upload speed last night for some reason.
These are totally posed shots. I can't even climb this stuff. Pics don't really show it well. The rock was dirty and dusty so we will see today whether I need to dumb it down.

The car is about 18" long, to put it in perspective.

Overhead doesn't show as well either:

Big squeeze
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Shell...I see you got some new Dlux wheels how you like em so for.....I'm coming in from offshore Thurs 12th
Bcampisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #27

Looking good
Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Thanks guys, I think you'll like it. Got out there for about 5 minutes, it's hard but alot more doable now that the rock is clean.
These wheels are neat! Super light too. Those are six inch tires I made. Came out to the same weight as those narrowed Ibeam hybrids on SLW's. Will narrow you up a half inch overall on both axles, still getting used to that. May switch hubs.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Got the last of the new rock laid down over the weekend. Cleaning made a big enough difference that I won't be moving anything around, it's just going to be a hard section. I did manage to make it over the big central pile once, and I'm sure that others will find new lines this Saturday. More than one opportunity for a bounty climb if you guys are into that. Everybody throws in a buck, whoever makes it first gets to name it and pocket the cash.
The new section is a big ring with a canyon inside, circling a large pile. There are 2 squeezes to the outside that are tall enough that you can't span it for a climb, and narrow enough that a 2.2 won't fit unless it's on it's side.
Here's some pics:

Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #30

Looking good
Old 01-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #31

I'm getting my truck together, but I can't find an esc. Everything is sold out. I'm looking for a Torquemaster or an FXR.

Edit: Got an FXR Pro on the way. Gonna run one of my old motors for now. Need to go pick up my tires from my LHS.

-Ryan

Last edited by CajunTaco; 01-16-2012 at 01:58 PM.
CajunTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #32

Hopefully my new motor and receiver will come in so I can swap to the brushless setup and add the dig.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Ha, we are all gonna be last minute wrenching gettin ready for this. My dual esc adapter started screwing up today. Will look at it tonight and swap in my spare if I have to.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunTaco View Post
I'm getting my truck together, but I can't find an esc. Everything is sold out. I'm looking for a Torquemaster or an FXR.

Edit: Got an FXR Pro on the way. Gonna run one of my old motors for now. Need to go pick up my tires from my LHS.

-Ryan
Taco if your going to hobby towne I think they have a set of proline's their, I'm not sure which ones. I'm probably going over there tomorrow to get a servo for the dig, if I think about it I'll tell you what tires they have.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #35

Yeah, I checked out the tires last time I was there. I forget what they were, but I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. I still haven't built my chassis, lol. But I have the axles built, transmission built, and will pick the chassis plates up from the waterjet guys tomorrow. I should have a roller tomorrow night and I'll post some pics of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Custom waterjet'd chassis plates. Awesome. Somebody's been doing some studyin... Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunTaco View Post
Yeah, I checked out the tires last time I was there. I forget what they were, but I'm going to pick them up tomorrow. I still haven't built my chassis, lol. But I have the axles built, transmission built, and will pick the chassis plates up from the waterjet guys tomorrow. I should have a roller tomorrow night and I'll post some pics of it.
Where is there a water jet in town ... This sounds interesting!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #38

So here is a sneak peak. The chassis is all 6061. Skid is 1/4" gives me some material to mount links in the plate and also adds weight in a good spot, the very bottom. The CG of the chassis w/ trans is about 3/4" from the bottom. I think this is key for a good shafty. The trans started life as a Juggernaut 1 trans. (I bought a ton of the Jugg 1 parts after they recalled them). I use this trans in my 1.9 crawler, but in this one I made all the trans shafts from 5mm Case Hardened Steel rods. I filled it with Abec 5 bearings and machined a 7075-AL gear hub for the output instead of the hex set-up it had before(think like a wheel hex, prone to stripping). I then machined down the input spur gear which was ~30 teeth. I drilled it to bolt on a 66 tooth E-Maxx spur gear, and machined a motor plate to mount 1 motor as low as possible. Hopefully it is not geared down too low. Like I said before the axles are based around E-Maxx parts and they too are completely aluminum (Should have pics of them tomorrow). I'm onto the hardest part now which is suspension set-up and shock placement. I'm not sure if it will work great, or even good, but I've had a blast building it so far.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Wow! I don't know crap about the Jugg or emaxx but but I can see you have out a ton of thought into it. Sounds like you made some great decisions as far as the upgrades you made to the parts. Chassis looks really cool, sleek.
This is Kustom, folks. Can't wait to see it.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #40

Not sooooo good on my end, hobby partz sent out the motor and battery today so it won't likely be here. The receiver, BEC, and the new esc came in so I moved the sidewinder into the comp crawler. All that said right now I still don't have a motor.

I have my 55 turn stinger, 15T Orion..both brushed I have a10.5 turn brushless...

Sooooo I don't know what to do.

Cold Cajun Crawler Party 1/21/12 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Party in Hong Kong takzi Outside the US 27 04-22-2008 09:12 AM
Crawler party in Hong Kong Edison Videos! 3 10-26-2007 12:13 AM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM