Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: Axials SMT10 Grave Digger Monster Truck RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #21

Default Re: Axials SMT10 Grave Digger Monster Truck RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I've been keeping an eye on this truck, and am considering getting it for Christmas. If I do, I'll be going into it with the understanding that, in order to make it perform as a capable monster truck, it'll need similar upgrades as a Wraith would, in order to make it perform as a capable rock racer. Hence, making it brushless-capable. i.e. Steel tranny gears, drive shafts, etc. I've already got a nice brushless power plant that I think will be just right for it.

Like others have mentioned, I wish they'd have made it brushless-ready, since that is the logical upgrade, given that a 27T brushed motor is going to be kid-speed. I mean, in consideration of a kid getting one of these, and opening it up and playing with it on Christmas day, a 27T brushed motor will likely ensure that it will last through the day, at least, right? If I get one, I'll immediately yank the brushed system and resell it, as it'll be a decent entry level, budget crawler system.

Thing is, I have a kit-built Wraith that I've yet to finish up with upgrades, and looking at getting another AX10/AR60 based rig, with the intention of upgrading for performance, is sort of not looking so appealing, as it'll just be another money and time spender. I know, that's the hobby. Maybe I'm starting to peak. Haha!
If you want to build another AR60 based kit that doesn't need much upgrading look at the Bomber. It comes with more upgrades than any other Axial kit. It's definitely brushless-ready out of the box. It's the way every Axial kit should be! I can't tell you how much I love mine!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-12-2016 at 07:44 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If you want to build another AR60 based kit that doesn't need much upgrading look at the Bomber. It comes with more upgrades than any other Axial kit. It's definitely brushless-ready out of the box. It's the way every Axial kit should be! I can't tell you how much I love mine!
I have read that the RR10 Bomber is a great rig, but I've yet to be drawn to it's visual appeal. I went ahead and bought my Wraith Spawn kit right after the Bomber had been announced, because I didn't really like the look of it. It looked too rock racer-specific, whereas the Wraith had more of a neutral, off-road buggy look, with potential to be turned into a big 2.2 scale truck. Now, that could all change at some point, because even the Wraith was unappealing to me, when I first discovered Axial products. I really like the Grave Digger, though, because it's just a neat looking truck, and my first 1/10 RC truck was a Traxxas Son-uva Digger, and I always wished it could've been a 4WD, off-road capable rig.

I have some old video footage from when I tried running my 2WD Digger up an old muddy logging road, in the woods at my in-laws' place, and learned about the severe disadvantages of 2WD. It would be cool to make a new video, in the same wet, muddy conditions, but with an SMT10 Grave Digger, and sort of put the two videos together, in a split screen style, side-by-side. What would be even better is doing that with an SMT10 Son-uva Digger! If I had a hint that Axial would release one, I'd definitely hold out.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I have read that the RR10 Bomber is a great rig, but I've yet to be drawn to it's visual appeal. I went ahead and bought my Wraith Spawn kit right after the Bomber had been announced, because I didn't really like the look of it. It looked too rock racer-specific, whereas the Wraith had more of a neutral, off-road buggy look, with potential to be turned into a big 2.2 scale truck. Now, that could all change at some point, because even the Wraith was unappealing to me, when I first discovered Axial products. I really like the Grave Digger, though, because it's just a neat looking truck, and my first 1/10 RC truck was a Traxxas Son-uva Digger, and I always wished it could've been a 4WD, off-road capable rig.

I have some old video footage from when I tried running my 2WD Digger up an old muddy logging road, in the woods at my in-laws' place, and learned about the severe disadvantages of 2WD. It would be cool to make a new video, in the same wet, muddy conditions, but with an SMT10 Grave Digger, and sort of put the two videos together, in a split screen style, side-by-side. What would be even better is doing that with an SMT10 Son-uva Digger! If I had a hint that Axial would release one, I'd definitely hold out.
I hope Axial releases the Son-Uva Digger too! Awesome looking truck. Even more, I hope they release a generic SMT10 kit. I don't care what body they put on it, but if it has all of the upgrades that the Bomber has it will be amazing.

When the Bomber was first released I had no interest. I thought "It's another friggin' Wraith." I saw the Bomber RTR in person and I liked it even less after I saw it perform on the trail run. It was just way too slow and underpowered. But then I drove my SMT10 and realized it was so fun to jump, handles decently well at speed for a solid axle truck, and it would still "crawl" in my backyard despite the open diffs. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I realized the Bomber was similar to the SMT10 with 4 linked suspension and trailing arms. I assumed the Bomber would also be fun to jump and crawl well and so far that assumption has been correct. The look grew on me because I didn't like it at first either. For some reason my Wraith has never appealed to me.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:31 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

In answer to Killerbird: Only thing that réally needs upgrading, is the idler gear. That strips far too easily with anything hotter than a 27t on 2s.

It's the only thing I actually broke, running the SMT10 with a somewhat mad 4300kv K4. I dìd carefully adjust the slipper, though. Locking that up, will strip the innards of the gearbox in no-time short, sometimes even within 1 batterypack.
The slipper is the first thing I'd check when running a fresh-from-the-box GD. Mine was locked só tight, everything was almost glued together. Not. Good.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:18 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Well, it’s a full year later. Grave digger still works admirably after an innard-transplant in the shape of steel gears.

But... It seems to me the whole “Axial Monstertruck line” died an untimely death. Expensive license, and only 2 trucks to show for it. Bummer. I hoped for a Metal Mulisha, or even something mad like the Avenger in due time. *sigh*

Is it just me, or did the SMT-10 line flop in a major way?

Last edited by Jay-Em; 11-13-2017 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Tai-poh
Old 11-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-Em View Post
Well, it’s a full year later. Grave digger still works admirably afther an innard-transplant in the shape of steel gears.

But... It seems to me tne whole “Axial Monstertruck line” died an untimely death. Expensive license, and only 2 trucks to show for it. Bummer. I hoped for a Metal Mulisha, or even something mad like the Avenger in due time. *sigh*

Nice one year update!

I don't know if it'd classify as a flop, but seems to have fallen into more of a niche. That being said, both versions have had significant price reductions the past few weeks. First was the GD, and now the Max-D... $279!

I want to buy the Max-D, just because I haven't built my GD pre-roller. Of course, it would be another truck requiring upgrades, unless I kept it under stock brushed power. Most likely, I'd sell the body and electronics, and maybe even the wheels, although I like the orange rims. Overall, I think it's a good base for a 2.2 Mega truck, solid axle basher, etc.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Hmm.. Many people even stripped the innards with the stock 27t, be it on 3s. Overhere, in the EU the SMT10 is still in the €380.- range. A bit much for just a base for a build. If they drop below €300.- I probably get the black chassis, indeed.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hmm.. Many people even stripped the innards with the stock 27t, be it on 3s. Overhere, in the EU the SMT10 is still in the €380.- range. A bit much for just a base for a build. If they drop below €300.- I probably get the black chassis, indeed.

eBay my friend. That’s where I got Just my chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheddarcheesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #29

Great deal @ 279.

Got the GD and the stock brushed motor burned up immediately (defective i think)
included servo is weak
sportbikeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikeco View Post
Great deal @ 279.

Got the GD and the stock brushed motor burned up immediately (defective i think)
included servo is weak
I noticed, again, that Tower has removed the Max-D from its "Weekly Specials", yet the price remains at $279, and that now seems to be the current price from all retail outlets. It seems that they may have decided to make that the new price, which would mean that the market is reflecting the past prices were simply too high. Regardless, I think my one SMT10 will be sufficient, especially since I'm not in any clubs, and don't participate in any races.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

I was wrong...the MAX-D RTR has returned to $329. That's fine, because I just bought a MAX-D roller, complete with drivetrain & body, for a very good price off eBay. I'll probably sell off the body, and put a basic truck body on it, then replace the cheapo plastic trailing arms with steel links and make it a mega(mega fun!)/trail truck. Something about that chassis just makes me giddy!
Old 11-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I wouldn't say it flopped but it definitely wasn't a game changer. Axial had a real chance at setting a new standard in MTs but it got caught up in trying to meet the "Clod standard" so it ended up with a truck caught in the middle of 2.2 and 2.6 worlds.

The drivetrain isn't up for Clod sized tires in a go-fast MT application and it seems like Axial knew that but wanted to make a truck that would look like it would. In the end we a got a larger than 1/10 scale truck with a 1.10 scale body and 2.2 tires. That left buyers with either living with an out of scale slow truck or going into a death spiral of spending money on making it look right, go faster, and hold up to more power and stress.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't call it a flop simply because of that glorious frame/rollcage design. For scale appearance, there's still nothing better once you switch to some clod-sized tires/wheels. Problem is, you're already caught in that "death spiral of spending money" once the big tires are on.

Like others, I would have greatly preferred a kit. I don't appreciate the fact that the only way to get a black chassis is to get the silly-looking (in my opinion) Max-D body. I sold off that body immediately, along with the tires/wheels and ESC. That's a lot of work packaging/listing/shipping parts just to get to the starting point of a build. Also the screws backed out on the center diff lockout almost immediately, and I didn't realize until they already began machining away the inside of the transmission case (I hear this is common). Wow, now that I'm thinking about it, maybe it's not a very good truck after all. Anyway, I'm still happy with the end result now that all the bugs are worked out.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Well, it’s a full year later. Grave digger still works admirably after an innard-transplant in the shape of steel gears.

But... It seems to me the whole “Axial Monstertruck line” died an untimely death. Expensive license, and only 2 trucks to show for it. Bummer. I hoped for a Metal Mulisha, or even something mad like the Avenger in due time. *sigh*

The SMT10 is a flop because it's such a slow, weak POS out of the box. You can't put shit in a box and try to sell it at $400 and expect it to be popular. The word got out that it needs at least $400 in upgrades to be fun and durable - at least.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Even though I'll probably never race it, I used the Trigger King Sport Mod class as a guideline. So it has a 17t brushed motor and a Hobbywing 1060 ESC. On the big pinion it's plenty fast enough to be entertaining but still slow enough to seem scale. I added steel tranny gears as a precaution, but that should be all it needs to be durable at this power level. Where people really need to spend the big money is when they go brushless.

My favorite thing about this build was picking a name. Meet Stampy

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I bought the max D because of the black frame. Added my own body , 3300 kv brushless hot racing full steel tranny stainless steel lnks and the jconcepts tires wheels. Pretty fun to drive but the hot racing ring and pinon gears i put in the axles blew out 2nd run. I am running 3 s but maybe slipper too tight. Axila underdrives on the way. I have several rc rigs and i like this one because it is so different from my others. Just a blast to bounce around with and it handle quite nicky on my track. Jumps better than the bomber but not as good as my go fast tekno eb48sl rigs.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGGYBOY View Post
I bought the max D because of the black frame. Added my own body , 3300 kv brushless hot racing full steel tranny stainless steel lnks and the jconcepts tires wheels. Pretty fun to drive but the hot racing ring and pinon gears i put in the axles blew out 2nd run. I am running 3 s but maybe slipper too tight. Axila underdrives on the way. I have several rc rigs and i like this one because it is so different from my others. Just a blast to bounce around with and it handle quite nicky on my track. Jumps better than the bomber but not as good as my go fast tekno eb48sl rigs.
I've been eyeing this monster truck, looks like a lot of fun and reminds me of my old Kyosho Mad Force (back when people ran Nitro). =) Maybe after my TF2 build.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote

Axials SMT10 Grave Digger Monster Truck RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCAX-MT Grave Digger Monster Truck Build johnfm3 Mega/Monster Trucks 59 01-12-2016 04:24 PM
grave digger cammok5 Paint and Body 3 03-08-2007 06:03 PM