Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Michigan

Notices

Thread: SE Michigan scale/G6 chit chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SE Michigan scale/G6 chit chat

It's getting to be that time of year again guys and gals, the snow is melting, the birds are chirping, and the LiPo's are poofy from sitting all winter. I figured I would start a thread to discus any of the upcoming events or get together's that happen, post up pics of your new rig, trash talk on the interwebs after a few cold ones....whatever.
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: SE Michigan scale/G6 chit chat

well startin to do research on brushless motors for my scaler...liked the wheel speed but the 35t didnt!!!
m0d3ds1ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'm sticking with my good old GEN I Tekin 13.5t motor in my scaler. I have it geared way down, I think I have 13-90 or 13-93 on there right now.
I know that sounds REALLY low, and it is. But with the 13.5 on 3s, wheel speed has never been a problem.

There are lots of 13.5 motors that can be had cheap, the Turnigy ones from Hobbyking come to mind, that way if it gets a little wet, you aren't out a bunch of money.

I've been really thinking about selling my comp truck to build another scaler, or two. I really want to build a 8x8 or 10x10. The only problem is the cost of everything is CRAZY. I priced out wheels and tires, X 10. OUCH...
Never realized how much that kind of stuff could cost.

But right now, I still have the 2.2 Superduty. I have a DMG chassis Jeep buggy that has 1.9s with TSL XLs under it right now. Some VP SCX axles and some other goodies. Working on the styrene for interior and wheel wells to get looking good for this season. Just need to get a couple light bars so I can play at night.

I'd like to build another monster truck, I sold the two racing ones I had, and who knows what else... Been spending lots of time working in front of the mill and working on the carpet cars.

Our local carpet oval track is closing down, not because we want too, but because the building is being sold. So the owner and I are working on a deal to rent a space at the local mall. Am hoping we will have some space to maybe set up something with some rocks. Wink wink...
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

If there is no interest in the 2.2 comp my rig is getting sold and everything that goes with it.

I'm in the process of building a 1.9 Ultra4 buggy for some of the G6 runs this summer, just need to finish the rear suspension.
I have a full Axial Spawn drive train that is just waiting on a cage.
My SCX Cherokee has a broken front output from the scale run at Davisburg last weekend

This Rc thing is like another full time job....

Hopefully we can get some events posted up soon, get out and run theese things.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I'm sure there will be some 2.2 comp action, but with the low numbers last year I'm not real excited to make a schedule.........Give me until the end of next week and I will get some dates and locations posted These comps with include all forms of rigs. The idea is to get things rolling again in hopes to get a good crowd again. Jeff pm me when you have time
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
I'm sure there will be some 2.2 comp action, but with the low numbers last year I'm not real excited to make a schedule.........Give me until the end of next week and I will get some dates and locations posted These comps with include all forms of rigs. The idea is to get things rolling again in hopes to get a good crowd again. Jeff pm me when you have time
Later,
Farmer
heres an idea....howabout a MiRCa scale comp?...yea you have your G6 stuff but what about sorrca rules? SORRCA.com
Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hey fellas!!! Sun is out and I'm ready to crawl!!! Farmer and I were talking about it today, and I'm excited to get back out there. Jeff DONT sell your comp rig man, let's give it another shot first to run a season, but actually mix in the scale/ultra4/fun stuff and not just talk about it right?

Let's do this guys!!!!
superduty03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0d3ds1ash45 View Post
heres an idea....howabout a MiRCa scale comp?...yea you have your G6 stuff but what about sorrca rules? SORRCA.com

Tim, we have been running scale and G6 events at Honchoforever's house and few other places over last summer, and the groups kept getting bigger at every event. The best part and what I think keeps people coming back is the fact that we have only a few simple rules....this keeps it fun for the people who not really into the competitive thing and no one has to sit and keep score. More people show up with their families and bring their friends to the next event. Most are on Saturday nights and i think all have involved a cook out.

I think there is a time and a place for the comp thing, but most people seem to be turned off by all the rules and five guys on a rock pile calling out gates and reverses. I think an adjustment to the rules could help this or some type of novice scoring system or something.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:24 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Tim, we have been running scale and G6 events at Honchoforever's house and few other places over last summer, and the groups kept getting bigger at every event. The best part and what I think keeps people coming back is the fact that we have only a few simple rules....this keeps it fun for the people who not really into the competitive thing and no one has to sit and keep score. More people show up with their families and bring their friends to the next event. Most are on Saturday nights and i think all have involved a cook out.

I think there is a time and a place for the comp thing, but most people seem to be turned off by all the rules and five guys on a rock pile calling out gates and reverses. I think an adjustment to the rules could help this or some type of novice scoring system or something.
sorry jeff i havent read any other of the posts...like i sayed im just getting back into it and hopfully be making it down there on some of the saturday nights that i dont work...it sounds like alot of fun
Old 03-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0d3ds1ash45 View Post
sorry jeff i havent read any other of the posts...like i sayed im just getting back into it and hopfully be making it down there on some of the saturday nights that i dont work...it sounds like alot of fun
Check it out here:
G6 at Honchos House Aug 23rd

We get a lot of support from the guys at Hartland Rc, they also do a great job of stocking parts and getting the word on the street. More or less recruiting anyone buying a scale truck and inviting them to the next event.
The last event at Honcho's was 50 gates on a half acre lot and took almost an hour and twenty minutes to run one lap. The last event a Ewans house only a few people finished, the rest broke or got lost.
All you can hear from the darkness is a bunch of hootin and hollerin......LED lights going every direction.

If an event is held at someones house or property expect to pay a fee to run there... just like you would at a private ORV park $5 dollars is the norm.

Basic rules:

#1.) No Hand of God (H.O.G) If your tuck rolls over the only way it can be put back on its wheels is to be pulled winched or pushed over by another truck. This keeps it scale and forces people to drive their rig smart. ****This is the most important rule.***

This is how the real G6 guys do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xvrjqGbe8

#2.) Gates must be run in numerical order and in their intended direction. The number of gates can range any where from 25 to 50 gates.

#3.) Night runs...Lights "must be attached to your vehicle". a pocket flashlight is ok to use for repairs, winching, recovery.

#4.) Two tires must pass between a gate in order to make "progress" to the next gate. We are not keeping score but this makes it fair for everyone. If you can not progress a gate on your own a buddy can pull or winch you through a gate.

#5.) Have fun. This is more of an adventure than a race, but it is fun to see who can out drive everyone and finish first.

#6.) A tow strap with hooks is mandatory for every vehicle. This can be made with a shoe lace and some hooks from the hardware store for about $5 dollars.

**Be prepared:**

Tow strap with hooks
Spare parts
Extra batteries/charger
Bug spray/suntan lotion
Tools/pocket flashlight
show up ready to run

All trucks are run by tire size, by far the most popular is 1.9 class. Trucks are started smallest tire size to biggest 30 to 60 seconds apart. We have done two man teams, we can run three man team....what ever the group decides. Really no requirements other than what is mentioned above. The point to all this is to hang out have a good time and run scale trucks.

No real limit as to what you can run as far as truck, motor or whatever....this may change as things move on and the group decides to limit something.

Show up ready to run! Plan to run two or three 20+ gate courses. The last event went till 1am, one course was run in the rain and all courses took about an hour to run start to finish.

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 03-19-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

What what? It is that time again!

Beer, beer, beer, gate! Beer....mmmm

Yellow wrangler will have a partner this year, a 2.2 buggy, and a 1.9 Chevy (clod)

Ready and waiting - except my lipos
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Blkxj this year it's you, every year someone wants me to bring suntan lotion, bust the fat rolls out and get my tan on.....

"Sunscreen" don't be bringing your girlfriends hemp oil
Old 03-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Two posts 4 minutes apart..........stay on topic.........That's all we need you to do!!

Topic+you+on it=

And who's GF's hemp oil sunscreen? And update your Sig you made five years ago. And no one should be drinking Bailies from a shoe at 9am on a Thursday...then posting on RC Crawler......Just sayin......
Old 03-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Me+beer+tacos+clod build= nothing done

In all seriousness who would like to go venture around on Sunday, maybe check out a couple spots? Were going to need some fresh territory! Blkxj and I typically do some scouting, were planning on doing more this year, and we have some fresh ideas to bring to the table

I am ready for some good scaling, maybe some 2.2 racing. <more to come on that.

Last edited by twilight; 03-20-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Me+beer+tacos+clod build= nothing done

In all seriousness who would like to go venture around on Sunday, maybe check out a couple spots? Were going to need some fresh territory! Blkxj and I typically do some scouting, were planning on doing more this year, and we have some fresh ideas to bring to the table

I am ready for some good scaling, maybe some 2.2 racing. <more to come on that.
Where on Sunday? I'm suppose to pack for Florida but I could prolly get out for a couple of hours. Let me know!
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honchoforever1 View Post
Where on Sunday? I'm suppose to pack for Florida but I could prolly get out for a couple of hours. Let me know!
Checked around a little today, way to muddy to do anything as far as trail runs yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #17

When you guys decide to do some get together or comps I'm in! Been looking for a while
bonosxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

are you guys running this weekend?
Old 03-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Check Book Face, some of the Mid Michigan guys may have something going. Real cool, easy going group. I can tell you I am still buttoning some stuff up with my 1.9 rigs and I just picked up another Wraith that I am in the process of moding out for a fast U4/Basher rig.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm in Florida so no running for me this weekend. My house is thawed so we will be running soon guys just need to do a little repair/maintenance/improvements and we are ready.
Honchoforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SE Michigan scale/G6 chit chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chit chat MX70 New Mexico 3 07-11-2010 03:44 PM
Chit Chat Map Us out. Help!!! JIA's Dad Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 06-17-2009 02:34 PM
chit chat MDcrawler08 Maryland 4 10-15-2008 08:37 PM