Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Micro FJ Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Micro FJ Cruiser

After 3 months of searching toy stores and hobby shops high and low i finally found an fj cruiser body. I have many plans for this build which i'll explain later but heres what i've done so far. Mounting the body was a little tricky at first but once i realized i could mount it to the sliders it was simple as can be. Then i had to trim the fenders a little and stuck my lil CB antenna on the back. The first antenna was a little to tall and didn't last long and the second one has lasted quite a bit longer. It actually crawls really well, i think that the weight of the body gives it a little bit better footprint and the cog isn't too bad. ok heres some pics, don't mind the holes in the roof i gotta fill those in.

Mocked up

Mounted

Test run

Sliders doing their job

One tire in the frame twister

All four in the frame twister

2nd CB Antenna and some good flex

The angle of the pic is weird but it's got about a 4.9 in wheelbase

All 4's stuffed

So i'm in a mechanical design program in college and i just got approved to draw some bumpers, sliders, roof rack and snorkel for a project and print my prototypes out on the 3d printer that prints out in abs plastic. I'm super stoked about but it's gonna take 2 months to do the letter of proposal and all the drawings and then i gotta present it. I'll keep you guys posted on how it's going.

Live fast, Crawl Slow

Evan
T4RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

thats the same toy i got my fire jeep from =D but i added a bunch of things to it i was going to make a fj from the same body as what u have but i guess u beat me to it ='( lol
DuraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sweet! Tires tuck good. Are you going to repaint it or leave that scheme. Either way it looks good.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Durajeep, yeah i saw your fire jeep thats pretty cool, did you stiffen up the stock springs? I put like a 1/4 piece of fuel tube above the spring.

nascarkeith, Yes i am thinking of painting it fire truck red, leaving the roof white (because it's a fj!), then painting the rims and beadlocks black and the snorkel/bumpers/roof rack/sliders black. And printing out scale stickers.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good actually. Not the biggest fan of the toy RC bodies on them as most people find one that's a direct fit and call it scale. At least you lengthened it and it actually looks really good. Whats the idea for paint?
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RCrawler View Post
Durajeep, yeah i saw your fire jeep thats pretty cool, did you stiffen up the stock springs? I put like a 1/4 piece of fuel tube above the spring.
yea i just put some springs i found at the swap meet and it holds the back up good. had to strech the wheel base to fit but works great. lol people at rcp crawlers Love it.
DuraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looks really good! The width of the axles match the body perfectly. It's gonna look even better painted and maybe add a fews accessories.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

x2 looks awesome i was looking at one of those the other day.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah i'm pretty stoked about the project. I'm about to start on designing the bumpers very soon. Gotta wire up the led's that are in there. I'm going to paint it red and all the bumpers and stuff will be a flat black, it's gonna look sick.

Last edited by T4RCrawler; 04-20-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

UPDATE= I've widened the wheelbase so the wheels are a little wider than the fender flares. Well iv'e been working on designing the rear bumper for this first and it's coming along very well. I got a little hi lift jack, spare tire mount, tow points and faux lights. Also i designed it so if i wanted to i can put lead weights for a better cog cause i'm making a roof rack with some gear in it (the front will have that feature also). Here's a pic

Last edited by T4RCrawler; 05-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

sick!
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Update! I changed up the front and rear bumper. I'll be printing these out on monday then it's fitment time and paint the whole thing up! I also made a snorkel.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Here they are! I still have to clean some of the support material from the printer out from below the hi lift jack and some other places. I'm super happy with how these came out. I got the rear bumper mounted on it last night and pretty happy with it. I love how the tow strap on the roof rack came out! Here are the pics!!!!

And my favorite pic VVVVVV

Now i gotta sand these and start painting!
Old 06-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

That thing is sick nice work can't wait to see it done
CRAWL UGLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Very cool! I love the rack that you made up for it, looks very clean and smooth! Now we wait for more updates!
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

New Update! I've got most of the stuff test fitted and ready to paint. I got to sand the bottom of the roof rack so it sits more flush with the roof and then i gotta start painting this stuff. Hopefully i'll get it done by Friday cause we're going to Idaho and i want to bring it. Here are the pics!!!!!!!!!!!

No more front bumper

a bumperless monster

Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

wow that is gonna look awesome when its all painted up!
BOBO_XLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

The best MRC build, ever!
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

TEASER pic from Idaho! I will post some more pics soon. i gotta do a couple more things!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

yea that is awesome! How do you clean up all the raised lines from the 3d printer? Did you hollow out the underside of the roof rack? Is solid works alot more user friendly than cad?
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/micro-scale-rigs/244234-micro-fj-cruiser.html
Posted By For Type Date
My New Rig!!! - Page 2 - Toyota 4Runner Forum This thread Refback 10-07-2011 10:08 AM