Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Ty's Super Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Ty's Super Rubicon

So being sick the last few days I worked on my scale-ish MRC based Rubicon. This was the only body I could find in town and turns out the Road Rippers body is not available anywhere I have looked online..I will prob get the bigger one sooner or later but this one has really grown on me today.

Losi Micro Axles/Transmission/Motor/Hardware
TCS U-trail chassis
Tekin B1-R ESC
Not sure on RX yet, I don't have another micro Spektrum so it may be a stock axial radio/RX until I can get another micro RX...
New Bright Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
WB = 3 15/16"

TCS U-Trail, just have to make mounting plates for my ESC/RX and battery.

Front body mount screws into the body stub through the bumper plate. Excuse the fuzzy pic, camera won't cooperate in the light sometimes.

Rear body mount, same method as the front.

Rockstar can for size referrence and my poser rocks!

Poser flex shot, it has enough and nothing rubs.

Complete detailed interior on this body, I was impressed and of course it needs an air freshener!

Overhead shot, the body is a good width.

Overall I'm happy with the way it's turning out but it's not as scale as I wanted at all. This body is short and the wheel wells are small but they could be cut off and replaced with flat rock tube fenders, which would look sick. The body is as low as I could get it as the rear shock hoops hit the tub and the trans is literally 1/16" from hitting the bottom of the interior. I used Losi Micro-T links to shorten the wheelbase and match the body/chassis as best I could. I also shortened all the shocks by about 1/16" to try to get the truck lower. It is pretty much droop, sits all the way at the bottom of the suspension.

Let me know what ya think!

Last edited by Ty@Tekin; 11-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Looks good man, I like that body! Looks scale enough to me. I'd like to see the tube cut out fenders, hint hint LOL...
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It's not bad, I like it more and more. A little tall, but I think it will house crawl just fine this winter. Hopefully I'll have it wrapped up soon, just waiting on some driveshafts and my extra set of tires to replace that ugly plastic round thing on the back!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Oh BTW, I said I was going to use the Axial RTR setup for the radio/RX. Yeah....NOT going to happen, there is not a chance it is going to fit in this thing. Micro Spektrum is the only way to go that is going to fit under the hood, pulling one out of my 1.9 Broncho to make sure before I order another one. Other than that the rig is pretty much done! Pics tomorrow of it *hopefully* running.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks great Ty
jimbiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheelbase?

What's your total wheelbase, and what's the wheelbase the SMC chassis "Wants" (By "wants" I mean center to center of the wheel arches on the chassis) I'm looking to do a 1:20 scale grand cherokee and I need the wheel base roughly 5.5 inches. How long are the chassis plates in total?

LoL! Sorry, that sounded demanding. Just lookin for a little info, sick build by the way!

I just haven't been able to find chassis dimensions anywhere yet.
DSchulten88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
RCC Addict

My WB is 3 15/16" as it sits right now. The chassis is a TCS U-Trail, I'm sure the total length as I chopped the back portion a bit to fit my body, but I would guess they are right about 6 1/4" length. The chassis keeps the same WB as the stock micro if you use the stock links but by either getting threaded adjustables or making a different transmission skid you could change the WB to just about whatever you need. I think you could do a 5.5" WB no problem with this chassis.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well I finally found the body I wanted, the Road Rippers Jeep Rubicon. Picked it up today at Toys R Us for $13! I'm currently on vacation so I'll be rebuilding this rig into the new body and I like it MUCH better!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Glad you found the road ripper! Im curious how that chassis will work out with that body... May have to buy one myself
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Now thats one sick looking Jeep Rubicon! Was there any modifying needed to the Chassis to get anything to go together?? Man I might have to grab one of those TCS Chassis's..
monsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterman View Post
Now thats one sick looking Jeep Rubicon! Was there any modifying needed to the Chassis to get anything to go together?? Man I might have to grab one of those TCS Chassis's..
I had to cut the rear of the chassis rails about 1/2" to get them to fit the body. I'm going to pick up another set so I can build a new one to fit the Road Rippers Jeep.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I just realized I never updated this build after I got the new body! Stretched the WB and extended the MRC driveshafts, I'm happy with the way it crawls. I have to remember to keep the terrain scale so my expectations aren't over the top for what it is capable of but it sure is a fun little rig. More scale stuff needs to be done like roof rack, limiter straps, tires and such, I'll remember to update this time lol.

Standard poser shot.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Thats pretty cool, alot better than the silver body...alot. haha. Keep up the good work. Are the links custom?
Hydro-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrccrawler View Post
Thats pretty cool, alot better than the silver body...alot. haha. Keep up the good work. Are the links custom?
They are Mini-T threaded links and are stretched about as far as possible! Now I just need to find some scale stuff and get this body painted.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Went wheeling for about 10 minutes, since that's all my battery will last lol. Time for a bigger capacity LiPO in the near future, I want more wheelspeed to get up the loose stuff too.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Nice Ty, that little guy is bad ass

Later,
Farmer
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I like how the tires go in the wheel well, thats scale! What scale accessories are you planning on putting on?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Farmer View Post
Nice Ty, that little guy is bad ass

Later,
Farmer
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrccrawler View Post
I like how the tires go in the wheel well, thats scale! What scale accessories are you planning on putting on?
Yeah the track width is perfect for some tire tucking action! I'm going to try to find either some 1/24 stuff or 1/20, first up is to get a roof rack made and I might order some RC4WD tires.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
Yeah the track width is perfect for some tire tucking action! I'm going to try to find either some 1/24 stuff or 1/20, first up is to get a roof rack made and I might order some RC4WD tires.
I am getting boggers from them some time. It will look awesome with my 1/20 toyota body that is coming tomorrow.

So you are wanting a different body?
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I'm staying with this one, I'm going to cut the fenders eventually, make some fender liners to hide the daylight underneath. I have lots of plans I'm just slow in executing them during the summer haha I'm too busy with work, TKD, my WRX and chillin with the wife and friends. Come winter I get a lot more project stuff done.