Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sumo Metal Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sumo Metal Ford

Got my mold for cab structure done, well, the first one anyhow, need to sculpt one for a posts and lower firewall, which will add a ton of strength to the cab.first test part ugly, realized needs to be done in sections, but it will work. Body filler I admit won't last forever, but not intending to make a production line either.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2015, 06:27 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Somehow I just deleted my unposted update. Here we go again. Got some done, as this is Winter project, I'm doing well, but can't wait to crawl! Panels I made already get really strong with inner panels, just like 1:1 counterpart. Negative relief mold worked, but was too deep the way I made it to press metal into, so cast in resin to make positive.

Also sculpted windshield posts and frame, the models roof was broken, and I didn't like how it came out before, so this will sit under roof frame and be the exposed a posts.

Last edited by penneyma79; 10-10-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Next up, sculpt the floor,a posts, and lower firewall. I really like oil clay method. I have background in styrene, but I like reusable mediums, if I screw up, no big deal to do again, no midnight runs for material!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Family napping, Lipos charged, need to get plugs in mailbox, and do some soldering. I cleaned up a few molds, and think I can use them in negative relief after all..

Old 10-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Keeping this question where I can find it. Curious what power options other guys and gals have used in their Sumos? Mah? Successes or failures? Got lost in battery stickies, figured I'd ask all the same.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:11 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Are you asking about power from batteries? "Mah" would be capacity. If you are speaking about motors you can take the gear head off the stock motor and install on a Losi motor. I think the stock motor is faster so that's may not be desirable, but you can run a custom wound motor on it.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

There are other options of course.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Are you asking about power from batteries? "Mah" would be capacity. If you are speaking about motors you can take the gear head off the stock motor and install on a Losi motor. I think the stock motor is faster so that's may not be desirable, but you can run a custom wound motor on it.
Awesome, I'll try to clarify. I get Mah and running either parallel or in circuit. Honestly it has good power for what I want as is, gears aren't a concern either. I don't want to fry the esc or other components with the batteries I jumped into. They are small, powerful, meant for helis.

I'd also like to know for certain what plug this is, as they fit, but are not correct, and I don't want to clearance them for car and be loose in charger, which I understand is the potential danger in Lipo. Going to re read some posts in battery threads sorry for lack of good progress, head is in five places at once, none long enough to do any good!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There are other options of course.
By this you mean what, nuclear fission?? Lol

Old 10-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

When there is a will there is a way!! Lol
As far as the plug, I can't really tell. You'd have to be the judge. I personally like to use micro deans so I change all the plugs to them on all my micro RCs,lipos & chargers. If the polarity is right and it fits securely it should be fine. Each cell has a peak charge of 4.2v and the 3.7v is nominal. The higher discharge won't hurt anything. It just means the battery can discharge more if it was actually needed. 2s lipo won't fry anything on a Losi or Sumo,but I've read on the HSP it can fry things with 2s, I don't have any experience with the HSP or HBX however
Old 10-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Default Sumo Metal Ford

I've got a Sumo non crawler/stadium truck I'll play with from time to time. I rewired the battery boxes and run these I got off fleaBay.

It'll scoot along amazingly fast and hasn't fried anything yet. It does 7.4v at 4600mAh.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
When there is a will there is a way!! Lol
As far as the plug, I can't really tell. You'd have to be the judge. I personally like to use micro deans so I change all the plugs to them on all my micro RCs,lipos & chargers. If the polarity is right and it fits securely it should be fine. Each cell has a peak charge of 4.2v and the 3.7v is nominal. The higher discharge won't hurt anything. It just means the battery can discharge more if it was actually needed. 2s lipo won't fry anything on a Losi or Sumo,but I've read on the HSP it can fry things with 2s, I don't have any experience with the HSP or HBX however
Awesome! Doing floor pan right now, itching to crawl, may have to bust out a super fast metal cab of the Nissan I showed I have as protection until this over done project gets somewhere..lol

Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Well, no good taking pictures, just had some quiet metal and me time. Pan ready to make a mold, but can wait until I make a posts and firewall too. I played with the Sumo Ford a bit, taped my first aluminum hood to it, and intentionally tried to roll truck. Frustrated myself with not rolling it, truck crawls too good, course wasn't challenging enough. I also realized why in a post elsewhere, Metal Masher stated he does this scale with thinner material.
I am really going to have to beat this truck up hard to get more than minor dents. It replicates American steel of an earlier vintage too well, hard to mess up. I may have to experiment with thinner skin on the inner panels I'm making maybe. If anyone else has done that, let me know! Household foil is too thin, but heard extra heavy duty, if I can find it, might just be the ticket. Or I'll have to drive harder.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
I've got a Sumo non crawler/stadium truck I'll play with from time to time. I rewired the battery boxes and run these I got off fleaBay.

It'll scoot along amazingly fast and hasn't fried anything yet. It does 7.4v at 4600mAh.
Holy crap Brake Weight, those are like plutonium in Doc Brown's time machine! Just watched the movie while I was playing last night, still fresh.. Wow those bad boys must run forever too, huh?

Last edited by penneyma79; 10-11-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

They'll run long enough to get bored around the house and yard. I end up just making some high speed passes and quit when the motor is hot enough to sear flesh.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

I'd be great with flesh searing heat considering I am building a full body heat sink! At least until it is painted, then its just a fire hazard.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I completely agree on wanting to keep my posts for hobbies, specifically RC private. We're not the only ones that feel that way and a few of the RC groups I visit on FB have private settings. I actually just sent Jim the group admin a message about changing the settings to private so others will be more comfortable joining. We shall see. As far as the late 30s being old, I guess that makes me old haha (37) at least most people assume I'm much younger (for now)
Forgot to check group members names for you, since we have "real names" in FB land I can assume that alone is anonymity when comparing this online RCC experience to the mess that can be FB. I hate "flamers". in person not one would say the things they do online to one another or viciously attack the way folks do in groups online, esp. it seems on FB So, thank you RCCRAWLER.COM!!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Hi guys, I did make the Micro Rock Crawlers group on facebook private, so your posts won't go to all of your friends anymore. I think it's popular because lots of people can click over on their lunch or slow times at work. It's much easier to post pictures. You don't need to upload to photobucket, then get the link, then add to forum post, then repeat. It's not a problem to discuss product pricing there either, which is a plus. We're up to 659 members now, tons of activity, and I just started the group earlier this year. And there has been no, and I mean zero, flame wars, arguments, or anything like that. That doesn't mean we delete it, it just doesn't happen. Anyway it's all good. All are welcome to check it out. Thanks
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I think so far over the years most RC hobby,specifically the micro scene is pretty friendly. The FB group is especially good, so that's never a worry about that. Everyone is just there to enjoy the micro Crawler scene like the "good ol days"
Old 10-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I am especially glad for that-I am a member of Fungi's group too, and am glad to have been part of the conversation that lead to its privacy, only so I don't blow up my wife's phone if I post or share-Generally speaking I have noticed most people are positive and polite, if not helpful. I have run into a few times, like yesterday, someone makes a comment and people jump on them like hungry hyenas, but that's when I need to just walk away and not read the posts, good, bad or ugly...hopefully more and more posting here in Micro will lead to more people seeing activity and join in the fun. I expect comments, discussion, tips, advice, headshaking, otherwise id keep to myself and be a hermit. As you can tell, I talk a lot and that might cause me to spontaneously combust...
Might have to introduce myself now that it is private. Not caring if anyone sees my hobby, I don't mind posting, its the constant FB posting by the same one time friends that drives me nuts, so my feed is all car and rc stuff now, I don't even follow family much anymore, and I have a pretty big family...

Tags
metal body, sumo

Sumo Metal Ford - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
66 Ford Metal Body C3 sam63 2.2 Scale Rigs 65 08-05-2015 06:17 AM