Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Sumo Metal Ford

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Sumo Metal Ford

Ok, here we go. Got my feet wet with X-mods, and finally pulled the trigger and bought an even more "hobby grade" rig. Chose the Sumo after a lot of thinking and asking a bunch of you questions, and decided for the sum of its parts, and what I won't likely use, I like the sumo for the more scale axles and t-case/trans, and for a rig this size, I don't want to spend more than an "almost new" one on Amazon. Happy B-day to me.

I am a salesman by trade, Car parts. I also talk too much and use a lot of words, my college professors hated it too, they got 30 page novellas when they wanted a 10 page dry ass report-lol. I have this old 79 Ford model I shortened WB over ten years ago on, but was bought used on Evil Bay when I was static modeling, before I considered RC'ing one. PO glued doors back on, crummy paint, been stripped and repainted a few times. I want a Metal Masher style metal body, and here's what I'm going to try and do and have already done-

Been practicing mold making with silicone caulk, corn starch and mineral spirits, works pretty well, keep it thin! Used to make molds, don't want to invest a ton for a Toy truck just now, kids, dog, 1:1 etc..lol made a few pulls in resin, even made hood in resin pressing orig into oil clay first, it worked better than silicone since that method is hard to brace and keep its shape, but ultimately decided body was wrecked anyhow, and id follow Mr Mashers suggestion and pull skins from the styrene model itself Another hint, I used olive oil cooking spray misted as mold release, again, being cheap. It works well to gently strip paint and primer, and NOT soften styrene like goof off or other cleaners I've used, or even oven cleaner.

Next ill make some simple(ha-ha) molds for inner panels, I'm building first pull from baking sheet I've rolled smooth with a dowel rod I've shaped into a nice pressing tool. Ill stop while I am behind, toss a couple pics up and post up later!
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Sumo Metal Ford

Old 10-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Please forgive the storage bin, I found in my wife's old things and I think it was hers as a little girl, didn't bug me much until I just posted this..haha Good thing a scaler 1:24 course is under construction as well, my 3.5 year old little man insists(he has the XMod truck).
Old 10-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Cool truck! Ive never really gotten into the small scale stuff. I'm interested to see this progress.

I'm really interested in your mold making techniques. Care to explain a bit more?
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishead1101 View Post
Cool truck! Ive never really gotten into the small scale stuff. I'm interested to see this progress.

I'm really interested in your mold making techniques. Care to explain a bit more?
Be glad to, you DID read where I admitted to being long winded, right?

Kidding. Actually, I read a lot of Metal Mashers posts on the topic, he started off using alum baking pans, which are .005 thick.
Before I Buy "tooling foil" online for 25 bucks, I want to hone my craft and use found materials, so I rolled out the aluminum pan and worked the creases out on a smooth chunk of 2x4 until it was smooth enough to form. I challenge you to familiarize yourself with guys who do this at a reasonable scale for their expectations Project true scale - Aluminum Toyota body!
I do expect my 3.5 year old will have a wonderful scale junkyard when I am done fooling around!
Casting in silicone molds works, but reinforce the silicone with clay or some other medium, foam even, as it has no strength for casting on its own, one part silicone caulk, one part corn starch, and a splash of mineral spirits to thin and dilute. heard you can add drops of lithium to aide in curing, but thin mold is basically useable an hour later, I don't have time enough to work faster anyhow!
I have even tried pressing hard styrene model parts in warm oil based modeling clay and casting from there, that works nice if like me, you are afraid of demolishing the original being heavy handed, but it will warp the panels in finished plug if you aren't careful, use olive oil or cooking spray, something as a mold release to help pull part out so it doesn't disrupt the clay as you remove. Again, see some of the thread above, he's got this down pat!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Short update. I cut the body since it was hacked previously, and I figured I could make better parts if I did. Cowl got separated from doghouse, as did the fenders. Windshield post was cracked, so cut them evenly.not the best place, but it will work. The metal is easy to work, if your patience is topped up and you think a few steps ahead.
Fenders probably won't get much better in this scale, detail was lost just a little, May hand stamp marker lamps in more crisp, we will see. I don't have interior from the model, and being of scale mindset,I plan on making a full cab with potential for one. So, I'll be making that up as I go, sue me.

It's late, good night.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

One more, these two chill at work, but are mad they are too big to roll the beast Ford.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I just spent a bit of time on the truck. Let me say, building a cab this way is super fun, but super challenging.I am glad I had a beer and a taste of wine, or is never have lost my attention enough to actually PLAY with my little Ford. I grabbed a model cab I cut probably ten years ago or so for my x mods, and used it to protect the Sumo as I played.I am testing for the inside crawler park that's in my mind anyhow. I did make clay molds of the rocks seen, then poured plaster in them to make copies, another proof of concept.
The real thought in this project is in building the rest of the firewall and floor, as it strengthens the entire cab.This is a test, only a test, and will be destroyed.
My little man played hard with his xmod or monster truck as he called it. Hope I can instill done engineering and thinking into this project. He knows it's a icky weather activity, but asked constantly to play with me until I gave in and neglected my other chores.thanks for the random thoughts forum..
My model was all busted up anyhow, so I pulled it apart. Now of course I see an easier way to do the cowl so I'll probably have to reinforce cab with tape to mold entire windshield apature together, then glue roof skin to that, too hard to keep cab square otherwise. Here are some flex shots, enjoy.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Forgot, tossed on the swampers too, crawls awesome, way more scale. Here's a crummy progress shot of the cab, I'm building a brass frame, not a monster, don't worry. Sectioned stand in floor and firewall, taped together for fit proposes.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I was tired last night, and didn't take pics. I am currently laying clay inside model body to mold inner reinforcing panels. After spending more time crawling than working the past few nights, I have realized as soon as I bolt up even my ugly test body I am gonna destroy it rather quick. So, I am making it braced inside, and molding the inners and assembling much the same way as a 1:1 truck panel is, glued, is much stronger and better looking. Also I will have a place to nicely seam the roof skin to the a posts and cab corners, and it wont have to locate the other parts during assembly.
My question of the day is this. I am putting a lot of effort into this small rig, which I don't mind, ill never compete even if I were to get a bigger one. I want a more realistic scaler than what many seem to be able to achieve with currently available parts, and tires scale out to ridiculous sizes and wheels are nutso big. Has anyone successfully molded and cast slightly smaller scaler tires, and what material have they used? I have read the threads on tires, but I'm talking potentially making my own-Secondly, anyone seen scale stamped metal wheels, or know of a thread for making their own? I have some ideas, but I would love to see what other guys have made. This scale is not easy to work in, but when it all works out it looks so good and is pretty rewarding..
Old 10-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Nice work! If you look back far enough you'll find some very detailed scale builds. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished in this scale.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Nice work! If you look back far enough you'll find some very detailed scale builds. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished in this scale.
We need to bring even more life to micro scalers! Maybe a friendly contest for micro indoor playgrounds? Open to ideas..

Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

That would be cool. I've always been the guy telling my other RC friends the joys of Micros lol. Jim aka Fungi does great things for the micro scene these days. Lotd of cool 3d printed parts. Unfortunately it seems like everyone is the FB group rather than here. IMO I'd prefer to spend my time here.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Ok, great point. I watch a few FB posts too, and nothing against any of them, but,I don't really need my entire judgemental family commenting on my special quiet time activities. I love the community around the hobby, even belong to car websites for my 1:1. Without getting on my old guy soap box (only late thirties) social media isn't always the best place for hobbies and interests which are specific to yourself. I don't want to defend tiny trucks to the family and friends,I wanna share an occasional pic of the kids and like those of old friends.
Anyhow, here is the sculpt, pre polyester body filler mold.it should hold up fine to pressing metal, and I have extra going to waste otherwise.letting it set up overnight.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Here is my other toy, mad at me for being neglected.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I completely agree on wanting to keep my posts for hobbies, specifically RC private. We're not the only ones that feel that way and a few of the RC groups I visit on FB have private settings. I actually just sent Jim the group admin a message about changing the settings to private so others will be more comfortable joining. We shall see. As far as the late 30s being old, I guess that makes me old haha (37) at least most people assume I'm much younger (for now)

Last edited by spoo76; 10-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Sweet beetle BTW, I've always wanted one...or two. One that's mostly restored and another that's a wicked volksrod
Old 10-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Preach on brothers! I'm personally not on FB, and would rather post here. I love this place even if it's a little slow sometimes. By the way, I'm loving the bug! And the truck! I've thought about doing this with one of the 1/20 Toyota's, but I don't have enough patience or time for anything so involved. I admire you for being able to do this. I can't wait to see it get mangled!
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Haha, well I'd prefer to post here, but both have a place. FB can be pretty convenient on a mobile phone. Though I use the Tapatalk app so its just as convenient if not more. I'd like to see both getting lots of traffic honestly
Old 10-08-2015, 03:39 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I'm up. Joy of four month old. I'm 36, wife won't let me forget it's my late thirties now. Both tapatalk and fb have their place, but this is a better forum for this hobby imo..
Metal body is just evolution of the hobby, with out something new, or different, it's boring.afraid that's what my bug is right now, nothing fun left to do..right price and person afraid I'd sell.. Metal challenges me, needs problem solving. Hopefully I'll have a mold to form some structure tonight..or, I'll go to bed early tonight.hmmm

Tags
metal body, sumo

Sumo Metal Ford - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
66 Ford Metal Body C3 sam63 2.2 Scale Rigs 65 08-05-2015 06:17 AM