Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Scratch built micro trailer - brass & wood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Location: Working in my dream RC workshop and remodeling my entire home.
Default Scratch built micro trailer - brass & wood

I wasn't really sure where to put this exactly, but I figured it would be alright here. I have been playing around more & more with brass and solder. I have recently built a GMC Sonoma micro truck using Losi running gear and decider to give it a go at finally constructing my own chassis. It took awhile, but in the end it came out great. After that, I tried my hand at building a tuber chassis loosely based on a 1/10th scale Wraith. This was a bit more challenging, but I like how it ended up , too. I think I'm hooked on using this stuff, so I thought I'd build a trailer big enough to put the "big" tuber on. Enough chatter, I guess. Here some pics...

Here's the Sonoma in action.

The mighty tuber. Looks a little funny, but it climbs so well.

And its finished frame.

My plan for the trailer is to have a brass frame and a wood "board" deck. I want it to sorta end up like this.

I started out with some plans on paper.

I drew it up in actual size and cut pieces to fit. The hardest part for me was trying to keep everything square. It is somewhat imperfect, but it's not too bad.

I wasn't sure what I was going to use for the deck exactly. Just so happened I was in Michael's looking at model kits and I came across longer thinner Popsicle sticks for crafting or whatever, and thought they'd be perfect.

I cut them all to length and shaped the ends a bit with a dremel.

After getting some soldering done, of course.

I decided to just put some spacers on the bottom rails and tack some tubes to hold threaded rod axles.

Tonight, I got most of the boards laid out, and decided that I need to put a strip over the joint to give it a cleaner look. Not sure if I want to stick with this board configuration, or if they'll be placed across the trailer. I'm going to stain the boards before installation also. Still some brass work to do, but it is getting there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAXXMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scratch built micro trailer - brass & wood

I need one to!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapascrap
tgh117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

No way, Tim! This is taking forever! It is going well, though. I got a little more done the other night. I got all the "boards" stained and a little more brass work done.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Got the chance to add a few finishing touches to my trailer project the other night, and last night, I gave everything a coat of gloss black paint. It's really starting to look like something now.

Got the brace in for the tongue.

I also attached a stand for it.

I also added a rack to hold some spares.

Looking nice with some paint.

Not permanent yet, but I had to lay the boards on there to see how it will look.

Sweet!

Gotta have some flashy bling on the trailer wheels.

Let's see how the crawler fits.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Needs some fenders to be PA legal. Where's the hitch setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapascrap
Old 02-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm gettin' there, Tim. Stop nagging me! As for the hitch, a Losi mini ball end fits perfectly in the square tube. I also have to construct a receiver for my Sonoma, which won't be any problem. Gonna tack on a piece of square tube and have a smaller piece with an attached ball stud slide in and out like a real one. (That's what she said! LOL!!)

Tonight I got half of my "boards" glued in place. Only half, because when I laid out the other half, one of my boards has mysteriously disappeared. Once I'm done with this trailer nonsense, my basement shop needs a serious organization session. I'm sure it will turn up then. Didn't feel like putting in the effort to make one board, sand, and stain and then glue everything, so left it alone. After working from 12a - 9a, then 7p -4a, I'm kinda beat. Last week, I worked 54 hours and also had a nine hour meeting in Pittsburgh on top of that! Good thing they switched my position from salary to hourly two weeks ago!! Anyways, my little trailer project should be wrapped up soon!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

keep up the good work. Someday I hope to have your free time. lol
Old 02-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Been working on some other stuff lately, so I haven't made too much more progress. I did pick up some Plastruct "ramps." I think they are supposed to be scale ladders, but they will do the job, and it's a lot easier to make these work rather that try to construct my own. No pic of those or the tiny chain I got to complete the hitch. About all I have so far, is a few poser shots!

I also need to make the receiver for the truck's bumper and I plan to make it adjustable just like a real one. I also have some hooks for the safety chain. Need to make up some scale straps to hold down what is being hauled.

Scratch built micro trailer - brass & wood - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep Mighty FC - Micro (Scratch-Built Styrene Body) Soulo747 General Scale Talk 1 01-04-2014 02:29 AM
Jeep Mighty FC - Micro (Scratch-Built Styrene Body) Soulo747 Micro Scale Rigs 6 12-25-2013 06:00 AM
New boat and scratch built trailer :) DKS_ONE Scale Videos! 6 09-11-2013 11:29 AM
Scratch built trailer B94Cast Scale Accessories 16 11-04-2012 05:21 PM
JeepinCA's Micro Willy's MB & Trailer JeepinOR Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 0 12-25-2009 03:53 PM