Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Micro Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: stock motor getting hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default stock motor getting hot

Hi folks. I have a SCX24 Deadbolt that I have been working on with up graded parts. I am not sure why but I noticed that the stock motor was real hot after a 10 minute or so run. I will list what I have done: All new aluminum links, brass diff covers for front and back, brass C hubs for front, wheel extenders, aluminum bead lock rims (4) and 4WD tires that are about 2.2 inches tall. I also upgraded the servo along with the front steering linkage. I do not know but is this what is causing the stock motor to get hot. It was not hot enough to burn me but I felt it. With the extra weight is it putting to much strain on the motor? Do I need a new or bigger motor?
This is all new to me so any help or suggestions would be very helpful.
Regards
Tar

Last edited by Tar18; 07-30-2022 at 09:11 AM.
Tar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: stock motor getting hot

Yes, the original motor is very weak. It will die quite fast. You can buy a 050 motor if you wanna stay brushed. Check youtube for updates and options.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

There are definitely a few 050 motors out there these days.. Hot Racing, Injora, Samix, Furitek, Dynamite... the list goes on. It would be really cool if someone did a detailed side-by-side/ bench comparison of most or all the currently available 050 motors to see how they actually stack up. I assume that not a lot of individual enhancements ( design, performance, testing, etc) goes into any of these motors and that some are simply branded and re-branded off of a fairly generic platform... labeling being the most noticeable difference between them lol.

Unfortunately, reviews are pretty mixed throughout the internet so I'm not sure what I'd recommend. Some people swear by one but others will have a completely different/ negative experience. I feel like at least some of it is due to this being such a tiny rig and tiny motor, that even the most subtle nuances in weight, driving style, etc may be enough to hinder performance... unlike bigger rigs and bigger motors where a great deal of R & D is done, improvements are made, consistent bench numbers are achieved, and so on.

At least the prices on these 050 motors are pretty cheap so it doesn't hurt too much to try one and then another if necessary. Good luck... Wish I could recommend a clear cut winner.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:53 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Hi folks. A great big thanks for the comments. I kind of suspected that was what was happening.
Now I will get a better (I hope) 050 motor.
Thanks again.
Tar
Old 07-30-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Good deal, Tar18. I'm getting ready to drop the Hot Racing 050 into my scx24. I'm adding a little bit of weight to the rig so it seems like a good time to upgrade the motor as well. My factory motor also gets a little warm but it's still working... I just don't want to push it to it's limits with adding more weight to this rig.

BTW- Someone recommended to me in another thread that the factory motor plate is drilled out differently than the stock motor plate but if you're tying to save some money, you can re-drill the stock plate to accept the 050 motors. I opted to get a new plate from HR but like I said, modifying the existing plate is apparently an option too.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The ox motor is very good also. It creates a lot of wheel speed, which is needed to get over steep obstacles.
2471:24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:01 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hi folks. My stock motor did not quit (yet) it just got real hot. High Plains drifter I think that is what happened because I guess that I did add quite a bit of weight to the little rig with what I did to her. But what a difference the mods made. Now the whole rig is tight and now will work on the shocks. This little rig sure has surprised me more than once to what she can do.
I have the Injora 050 already just in case so now I will install that and see.
Thanks again
Tar
Old 07-31-2022, 01:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Hi again and since I am trying to learn about this side of the RC hobby what is a ox motor?
Thanks again
Tar
Old 07-31-2022, 05:11 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The OX is a 55t brushed 050 motor that fits the same mounting bolt holes as the factory motor... although you need to cut one of the battery tray posts for it to fit. It's supposedly the current "end all" to all these micro motors although it seems to be out of stock often and it runs about $25 plus shipping which is a little steep imo.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:51 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Hi folks. Thank you for the info on the OX motor. Before I go on would like to mention something that I mentioned that was wrong. I have 1.2 inch tires on my Deadbolt and not what I put in the post. Now for an update: I got the motor put in yesterday and all went well. I did have to cut the one post off of the battery tray but other than that it went well. I had to reverse the wires on the motor so that it would work the right way but it was a quick fix. I cannot wait until we get a nice day so that I can take her out for a real good run.
I would like to say thanks for all the help and I did learn some new stuff.
Regards
Tar
Old 08-02-2022, 07:02 AM   #11

I would look at MOFO RC motors, he has a lot of newer motors, from brushed and brushless. I went with the TorqueBeast 2.0 *050* and Im very happy with it, tons of power for climbing without much sacrifice on speed.
Krez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:49 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This is a comparison of many of the 050 motors currently available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=157wLxSU4T8

I've been running the Barrage motor for 2 years without issue. Looking for slightly more torque before going brushless so I just ordered the Injora 50T Pro. Hasn't arrived so I can't speak to my personal experience with it.

The Barrage was a huge upgrade over the stock 030 motor. I think any 050 would be worth the swap.
Bray D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Cool to be able to see some comparisons. Thanks for the link.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:40 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Very cool! Most helpful! Well done sir.
BIGW0RM is offline   Reply With Quote

stock motor getting hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Hot Motor bigdogs21ford Axial SCX-10 23 08-21-2014 03:30 PM
How hot does your stock motor get on losi lipo? atracys Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-19-2011 07:12 PM
How hot is too hot for the motor? Mr. Ed Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 06-13-2010 11:09 PM
motor temp - how hot is too hot? wicked4x4 Newbie General 16 03-18-2010 09:49 AM
Hot New Items! In Stock! L@@k RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 7 10-24-2008 07:04 PM