Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: ~~ MNRCRC 2.2 Sportsman Summer/Fall Season ~~

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Answer me this Kevin if there so competitive and equally paired why don't you drive one?

well said
irok22s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
RCC Addict

[insert Jeopardy theme here]
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

times up we need an answer!

-pimp- answer "what is a shaft?"
Old 07-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I think Shafties can be just as competitive. They don't have the breakover clearance, but other than that, I think shafties can hang on any course. In some instances, I think shafties are better. The Losi I had seemed to be more "predictable" and was consistent. My Berg I had, I could "power" through more stuff. The Losi was a little more "finesse" which is not a bad thing.

That being said. I think Kevin drives a MOA because that is what he prefers. Some like the way a MOA drives, some like the way a shafty drives.

I have no doubt a nicely set up Losi could hang with the MOA's. Mine was close, but the worm issue needs to be resolved. Other than than, it was just about golden, only a couple small changes needed to be as good as my Berg.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Way to suck the fun out of that question

I only see breakovers and throttle mixing to be all I'm lacking compaired to moa, but I make up for that with consistant drop offs by dragging the links and skid.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Casey I certainly appreciate your view and experience. I believe your correct about the Losi it is the best of the shaft designs out there to date it's basically a Gatekeeper 2 with front dig and the most competitive shaft truck no question.

The WCC open class is identical to our current format and anyone can choose to compete MOA or shafty. The addition of a pro shaft class would remove the nasty Sportsman stigma of being for beginners but still provides maybe better opportunity for beginners. The potential of a full out 2.2 shaft competition class (Pro) seems to have it all covered on all bases. I'm personally don't see anything detrimental for a local club?

We are considering giving up our dig and joining the Sportsman class for the MNRCRC Summer/Fall season looking for the a level playing field to compete in and support the shaft trucks. I believe they are a very worthwhile series and can serve the club well. It would be a shame to just say good bye to these great machines by encouraging their extinction which is happening.

It might be time for clubs with growth in mind to embrace rule making that discourages the early extension of decent equipment that is still fun and challenging to compete with by not putting all the emphasis on the constant costly and discouraging upgrading.

So my real question is is anyone else considering the sportsman move for the Fall season?

Last edited by Stormin2u; 07-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
RCC Addict

I feel like my first two years were wasted crawling without dig, and I'm never looking back.

As far as a level playing field goes.. I really don't want that neather. A level field wouldn't give me a guide line of who to beat.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I hear ya on the dig it makes driving a lot more fun and interesting we (Greg and I) feel the exactly the same we're struggling with that very fact.

So your a definite no?
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Firm no. If my dig don't work I don't drive my truck.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Good to know Chad we (Greg and Norm) haven't committed 100% yet but we both think it would be good fun if the class had more driver interest. Jerry and Jerry are both excellent drivers and good competitors. Mr Gunn won the spring class with good driving and perfect attendance so the sportsman class has plenty of potential to build on.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Greg is a great driver and you have a solid performing rig, but I'd hate to see the team taking a step backwards (in my mind) and as my hero Joe Dirt says 'Just keep on keepin on. Ya dig?'

As for Jerry and Jerry.. I miss you guys being in Pro
Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #32

Default Don't leave the pro class

Stormin & Greg I'd hate to see you leave the pro class, and love to see the Jerry's come. All of you are way to good of drivers to be in sportsman. Its to bad that we haven't seen any new comer's join the club this year for that class But at the same time I guess I don't care who's in what class or how many different classes we have. O ya I forgot about Tommy (Your OK)
Spider Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Yup it's a tough decision not helped by the fact that sportsman doesn't have a dig. Which really makes the drive much more interesting. I really feel like we should support a shafty class. It would be a huge loss if one day soon there were no shafties competing at all. The Sportsman class is the only current formula in scale rock crawling.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I think Shafties can be just as competitive. They don't have the breakover clearance, but other than that, I think shafties can hang on any course. In some instances, I think shafties are better. The Losi I had seemed to be more "predictable" and was consistent. My Berg I had, I could "power" through more stuff. The Losi was a little more "finesse" which is not a bad thing.

That being said. I think Kevin drives a MOA because that is what he prefers. Some like the way a MOA drives, some like the way a shafty drives.

I have no doubt a nicely set up Losi could hang with the MOA's. Mine was close, but the worm issue needs to be resolved. Other than than, it was just about golden, only a couple small changes needed to be as good as my Berg.
Well said Casey. That's why I respect you.

As for the rest of you... I prove that shaftys can hang, and you jump my case. Casey says shaftys are cool, and you all start sucking his shafty. I see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Casey I certainly appreciate your view and experience.
Storm, wipe you chin.

Quote:
The WCC open class is identical to our current format and anyone can choose to compete MOA or shafty. The addition of a pro shaft class would remove the nasty Sportsman stigma of being for beginners but still provides maybe better opportunity for beginners. The potential of a full out 2.2 shaft competition class (Pro) seems to have it all covered on all bases. I'm personally don't see anything detrimental for a local club?

We are considering giving up our dig and joining the Sportsman class for the MNRCRC Summer/Fall season looking for the a level playing field to compete in and support the shaft trucks. I believe they are a very worthwhile series and can serve the club well. It would be a shame to just say good bye to these great machines by encouraging their extinction which is happening.

It might be time for clubs with growth in mind to embrace rule making that discourages the early extension of decent equipment that is still fun and challenging to compete with by not putting all the emphasis on the constant costly and discouraging upgrading.
Alright, I'll give you a 'well said' too. This is why I offered the suggestion up for discussion. I don't want to see the shaftys disappear, just like I don't want to see the Supers or 1.9's disappear either. Whatever we can do to prevent extinction, is well worth the effort.

USRCCA gets a lot of their ideas from the local clubs. If it works on a local level, they'll use it on a national level. Take free-crawl for example: The first time I know it was used was at the BattleGrounds (in '08?). They tried something different, and it worked great. USRCCA saw it worked, and incorporated it in all of their events.

This is the time for us as a club to try new things, now in the Fall Series when invites aren't on the line. If it works, great. If not, then we know and we can opt to drop it. If it keeps the shaftys coming out, then I think it's well worth trying.

Quote:
So my real question is is anyone else considering the sportsman move for the Fall season?
Mark me down for no. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I feel like my first two years were wasted crawling without dig, and I'm never looking back.

As far as a level playing field goes.. I really don't want that neather. A level field wouldn't give me a guide line of who to beat.
Thanks Chad. This is what I like to see. People trying to challenge themselves. A wise friend once told me; "The best way to get better, is to compete against those that are better than you."

Quote:
Answer me this Kevin if there so competitive and equally paired why don't you drive one?
I like to challenge myself. With all the different methods to driving a MOA; front & rear dig, rear bias, reverse rotation, clod stall... it really makes me think, and helps push me to the next level. Plus, I started crawling with a Clod: MOA. It's what I learned to crawl with, and what I'm most comfortable with. Like Casey said, it's what I prefer.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
just like I don't want to see the Supers or 1.9's disappear either.

omg u didnt say whats a 1.9

dont worry i saved that quote for ya
Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Last year I would agree over the advantages of moa vs shafty. But this year driving a Losi I don't agree. Yes I have a mechanical dig but it shifts instant and every time. Plus I have front and rear dig.

So.... myself. I fear no moa
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

well thats better A guy needs an MOA or LOSI to break the top 10
so as long as you can keep up with tech. you'll be fine....then I might as well stop wasting the little money I have on this dumb Axial AX-10 that most the country has been running for yrs.

GTK
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Great responses Kevin I thank you for your open mind I to have a open mind. On one hand I don't want to see the shaftes disappear or discourage membership and participation yet I certainly don't want to see the club suffer any ill side effects either.

At this point in time Greg and I would defiantly consider participating in a Pro Shaft class but only if it had a sufficient driver following.

But after talking with Greg I don't think we're interested in participating Sportsman due to the dig rule.

Any thoughts guys subject appears to be open for your consideration?

Any Pro Shaft class drivers?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #39
RCC Addict

I'll run Pro Shafty class! But I'm keeping score against Pro MOA
Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
well thats better A guy needs an MOA or LOSI to break the top 10
so as long as you can keep up with tech. you'll be fine....then I might as well stop wasting the little money I have on this dumb Axial AX-10 that most the country has been running for yrs.

GTK
Hush now you have a class that changes all that if you want Champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I'll run Pro Shafty class! But I'm keeping score against Pro MOA

Good idea Greg will sign up for that I'm sure.

That's two any more?