Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: course build thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Defy Gravity

Default course build thread.

korn and i got together, talked heavily about building an indoor course, and came to the conclusion that one will be built. he took pictures of my shed, and outside where go fast guys can run around. i'm going to be gathering materials this week to get our base built. i have panels we used to use for grain storage, they are solidly built (2x6 frame with 3/4" ply skin), 8'x8' and planning to make each base table a different terrain type (smooth concrete, thrown concrete, wood only, etc) and using at least 4 of them. tables will be different heights as well.

i have this stuff just laying around ready to go, so why the hell not?

korn will post pictures tonight of everything, and we'll keep this thread as a standing build log.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: course build thread.

Using real rocks, or a combination?
Keep us updated.
semnmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i wanna say thanks again for having me out today pete. heres some pics of the areas pete want to use for courses. theres tons of potential out there we just need to get a couple guys out there and start building. we talked about real rock outside somewhere. pete said if i want or anyone else wants to haul them out then well find a spot to set them up. inside we talked more about concrete with chicken wire frames and maybe all wood in one section. skys the limit, hes got tons of material and any other input and ideas are more them welcome.
Attached Images

korn_2956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

no problem man! its good to have people over and do a little crawling. its really a how much work do you want to do thing out here. i'm stacked on materials and have more than enough space to spare. the southern mn guys are kinda stuck for places to crawl, and i'd like to fix that. i can do a lot of the work myself, but there are some things that another set of hands or 5 would be really helpful. as far as real rock, i probably have a large pile somewhere on my farm, just a matter of finding it. my grove is planted in rows, with some minor bushwacking there could be a few scaler trails or one really long run.

i'm not really out anything doing this, the shed sits empty now, and the large outside areas aren't used for much. occasionally my uncle will load trucks in the gravel area, but the grass area is never touched except by the mower. i have everything we need really except for some sack crete and that's cheap as hell. i'm going to start on the base tables this week, and then korn is going to stop by sometime in the next couple weeks. you all are welcome here, so if you're interested in an indoor course in southern mn, pm me and i'll give you directions.

many hands make short work, those interested that come by and help will be accounted for, there will have to be a small (5 bucks or so) charge after its finished, that's just to cover the sack crete cost really. all other materials are here for the taking.

and to the go fast guys, come and bomb around, put up some ramps outside and have fun.

i'm basically opening my home to you guys, respect my place, and you're free to come and go. if you use a machine and break something, its a you break, you buy policy. other than that the only solid rule is do not mess with my cat, always a toss up if she's going to run, play fight, or light your hand up. and, well, she keeps the mice away.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'm gonna try to get out there next Saturday. Ill bring my drills sawzall circular saw jigsaw table saw and other stuff I think we might need. If next Saturday don't work then definitely the Saturday after.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Defy Gravity

i'll have the drills charged and tools at the ready i should have some basic tables ready to go, and scrounge up as much chicken wire as i can between now and then. and to the guys that are reading this and just watching, if i'm home, the course will be open. i don't really leave the farm that much, so after its completed, i'll post any closures that may come. those are almost always during the week. it would be great to throw some gtg's and drum up more guys to crawl with in this area, and should be fun building it too. not out to profit on this at all, after the costs of the sack crete get covered, not really any overhead.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

When I lived out on the lake my dad was able to get a Bunch of field stone from Farmers that just wanted it gone. Heck a lot of them helped load it. I don't know any farmers in the area nor do I have the means to move them. Well I spose I could get a trailer from my uncle. I could try and find some to bring out.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Honestly I should say it will be a while until I am able to commit some time to this as well. I have a ton on my plate but if some time opens up I will let you guys know.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Defy Gravity

its cool man, its not like it needs to be done tomorrow just a summer project here, and figured if you guys wanted to come down, i'd put the offer out.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

Ha ha yeah I would just like to be a part of it especially if I utilize it down the road!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Defy Gravity

i understand and appreciate that i know its a little out of the way for many, but seeing as that the other closest place for most is taylor falls...i'm not the biggest fan of driving in the cities myself. here at least will be easier to access. its really a pitch in what you can thing. any help at all is appreciated. the thing i'm having the most trouble with is the actual design of the course. we've got the basic concept down on the bases, but from there, its all up in the air.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Just wanted to share something diesel kawboy and I have been working on for our MRC's..mostly made out of scrap from my work and a latex paint/sand mixture..Very inexpensive, plus it's light-weight and very customizable. Panels can be turned or tilted however you want...Here's some pics and a vid...

6-Gate indoor 1.9 Crawler course - YouTube
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Defy Gravity

that's pretty sweet ghetto. could probably do something like that with the base tables, have different terrain panels than could be swapped out or have them on hinges. we're building primarily for 2.2 classes on this. i'll for sure keep that paint idea in mind do you think that using a foam core would be superior to the chicken wire and concrete? would still have to cover the foam core with some sort of traction surface like your paint or sack crete.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
that's pretty sweet ghetto.
Thanx man..

Quote:
do you think that using a foam core would be superior to the chicken wire and concrete? would still have to cover the foam core with some sort of traction surface like your paint or sack crete.
For 2.2's the foam will not hold up IMO.., but it works pretty well for the minis..The chicken wire and crete sound the most durable..I'm looking forward to seeing your progress..Subscribed!
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Looking good I forgot I was 3 hours away from you I would come out and help when I get back but it would be rare when I can.
TheREDCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
Defy Gravity

like i said, any help is appreciated even if its standing around staring at a potential course piece, or wandering the grove to setup a scaler trail. all the trees are planted in rows, so with a little bushwacking, it could be a great scale trail area.

forgot to mention earlier...i'm big on safety. my everyday glasses are safety rated. if you are using a power tool, safety glasses or a face shield is what i would like. if you choose not to use them, i am in no way responsible if you get hurt. a little safety goes a long way, before i had an incident with my hand, i thought safety measures were useless, but now, i push for it when working with anything that puts out chips or dust. wanted to get that little thing out of the way, if you want to use a tool and don't know how to use it properly, ask someone else that's building to help. you name it, its hurt me. my drill press has wrapped my hand up and bit my finger, had a run in with the chop saw, and my belt sander took a sweatshirt sleeve. those things aren't fun. not discouraging guys that want to come and help, i'm just looking out for your own safety as well as the other people around you. a decent pair of safety specs is under 10 bucks, a face shield can go from 15-30 for something that will work well. i have a couple pairs of glasses i can loan, but not too many.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
like i said, any help is appreciated even if its standing around staring at a potential course piece, or wandering the grove to setup a scaler trail. all the trees are planted in rows, so with a little bushwacking, it could be a great scale trail area.

forgot to mention earlier...i'm big on safety. my everyday glasses are safety rated. if you are using a power tool, safety glasses or a face shield is what i would like. if you choose not to use them, i am in no way responsible if you get hurt. a little safety goes a long way, before i had an incident with my hand, i thought safety measures were useless, but now, i push for it when working with anything that puts out chips or dust. wanted to get that little thing out of the way, if you want to use a tool and don't know how to use it properly, ask someone else that's building to help. you name it, its hurt me. my drill press has wrapped my hand up and bit my finger, had a run in with the chop saw, and my belt sander took a sweatshirt sleeve. those things aren't fun. not discouraging guys that want to come and help, i'm just looking out for your own safety as well as the other people around you. a decent pair of safety specs is under 10 bucks, a face shield can go from 15-30 for something that will work well. i have a couple pairs of glasses i can loan, but not too many.
I dont think anyone will hold wanting to be safe against you. I agree with all of that. Plus I have hurt myself more then once on stuff. Lol. Also its your property. Don't feel bad about setting the ground rules.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #18
Defy Gravity

yeah, in the end its just to save some hassle, if those who want to help are prepared, that's all the better for all involved. i also know that not everyone knows how to use a lot of power tools, its something i grew up with, but others haven't. a little teaching session on the tools to people interested keep those people that know on top of their safety game, and teaches the newer people too. a win win for everybody. best way to teach anything involving a tool is to do it, and learn to do it safely from the beginning. i kinda view this as an experience where everyone can learn something, be it running a table saw or learning course design. i know i look forward to it! next weekend i'm going to be ready to rock, busy all this week sadly. saturday or sunday doesn't matter to me, pm me for info if interested.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i should be there saturday. i have a face shield and some glasses i can bring aswell as the tools. cant wait man been thinking about it since i left your place. its gonna be sweet.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Defy Gravity

sweet, i'll get those 2 panels that are already out up to the shed this week for sure. doing a menards run for sack crete if it doesn't rain while i'm in mankato tomorrow, or wednesday.

i've been thinking some stuff up too, have a short design session and then hit it.

course build thread. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread) swezy207 2.2 Scale Rigs 43 09-19-2011 07:01 PM
My Build Thread Biggons Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 38 02-03-2010 10:51 PM
another jeep tj build (and my first build thread) scorpion/king 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 12-18-2009 02:04 PM
My first berg build (my first build thread) jdacus EnRoute Berg 106 07-26-2009 07:29 PM
not really a build thread more of a upgrade thread... dragit Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-02-2009 10:11 PM