Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: MNRCRC 2016 Winter Meeting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default MNRCRC 2016 Winter Meeting

**Update - The meeting is now scheduled for Sunday December 4th from 1 to 3pm at Davanni's at 6345 Penn Ave S, Richfield, MN 55423.**

I'm going for a record... The EARLIEST that we plan the winter meeting!

Date:
Seems like early December has been working for us the past few years. How does Sunday December 4th work for everyone?

Topics:
(Please post up suggestions for topics and I'll keep this post updated)
  • Comp Series
  • number of comps
  • what classes
  • Sporty Class?
  • Entry-level class
  • running order (do we continue with 1.9's first?)
  • Scaler Events
  • number of events
  • locations
  • TTC
  • General Topics
  • Attendance - How to increase
  • SORRCA - Can we utilize anything from SORRCA for our comps?
  • Beginner friendly comp class
  • U4 Races?

Last edited by Nicklepimp; 11-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: MNRCRC 2016 Winter Meeting

Sounds good pimp!
rex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Great start Kevin. I've been talking and poking around for ideas already as many of you know.

Key topics I want to discuss
- Attendance - this is a super broad topic I know. Do we want to do anything to attract new people to comp , rules changes, class changes, etc. does that matter really?? For us all to discuss.

- SORRCA class 2 or 3. I don't want to count sleeping bags, beer cans and cup holders but I want the club to talk about this. Are there things about sorrca that can make comps more attractive or even make them fun for us experienced drivers. From winches, to dig, and rear steer, to course design. I really want the discussion to center around the intent of the class, I look at real off-road rigs and there are a lot of things they use that we don't allow. Also things we use that don't actually exist in 1/1. At the end of the day, the course is timed so if you are going to do something like winch you have to account for that.

- Sporty class, I've had quite a few people ask if we could bring this back; maybe not an individual class. We could possibly just have them run the same pro courses. So no extra course setup, heck we could even at the same time rather than waiting to go with the class?? They would just go on different results sheet.

- To reinforce pimps ideas, the scale events, types, qty, and locations. I'm not sure if chuck is still interested, but is U4 even an option? There are a lot of bombers, yetis, and fast 2.2 trucks out there now in the other FB club.

Disclaimer for all the Trolls: these are ideas not the new rules. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
- SORRCA class 2 or 3. I don't want to count sleeping bags, beer cans and cup holders but I want the club to talk about this. Are there things about sorrca that can make comps more attractive or even make them fun for us experienced drivers. From winches, to dig, and rear steer, to course design. I really want the discussion to center around the intent of the class, I look at real off-road rigs and there are a lot of things they use that we don't allow. Also things we use that don't actually exist in 1/1. At the end of the day, the course is timed so if you are going to do something like winch you have to account for that.
I was always kind of curious why you guys didn't run a more sorrca rule set. I hope to make it out to some events this year. I'm working on a more comp oriented rig now.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I was always kind of curious why you guys didn't run a more sorrca rule set. I hope to make it out to some events this year. I'm working on a more comp oriented rig now.
When we started, there was no such thing. It was USRCCA. That is what our comps were built around. Over the years, we have adjusted our local rules to best suit the club, rather than strictly follow the National rules-set.

When SORRCA first popped up, they couldn't get their act together. We never wanted to count scale points. Aside from it being cumbersome, it doesn't address the real issue - True scalers will never be as capable as a purpose built competition rig. There will be intense competitors that will take it too far and just slap a bunch of scale items on their lightweight C.F. rigs and continue to be dominant. And newcomers will still be frustrated that their rigs can't keep up at their first comp. Bottom line, 'Scale Competition' is an oxy-moron.

My $0.02
Old 11-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

What were the previous rules behind sporty class?

As I'm getting my kids into this and getting them rigs they will be cheaper rigs. I'd like them to participate and be held to standards where they get DNFs if they drive like... kids, but I'd like to find a class where they aren't up against the pro's comp rigs, just because their cheap rigs don't have frames or scale bumpers. Is this what sporty class is?

I agree with Dana about making some of the scaler class things more about how actual 1:1's work.
colombiapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiapunk View Post
What were the previous rules behind sporty class?

As I'm getting my kids into this and getting them rigs they will be cheaper rigs. I'd like them to participate and be held to standards where they get DNFs if they drive like... kids, but I'd like to find a class where they aren't up against the pro's comp rigs, just because their cheap rigs don't have frames or scale bumpers. Is this what sporty class is?

I agree with Dana about making some of the scaler class things more about how actual 1:1's work.
Hey Diego,
Sadly, the "sporty" class is about as far from beginner as the Pro class is. In the world of crawling comp rigs, it has taken on as much technological innovation as the pro rigs and therefore has moved away from the original intent. We should just call them "shafty" as they are 1 motor with driveshafts.

We definitely should talk about maybe a stock vs. modified class for 1.9 or 2.2. There is a balance of time and course setup we need to consider, but it makes sense that we could do something to encourage first time and novice drivers. I'd love to see more kids trying it out and novice drivers having fun.

All will be good discussion for the winter meeting.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
Web Wheeling

My sx10II is stock, other than the body, bumpers,sliders, wheels. And it keeps up with the mofded 1.9s just fine. We just need to ban talent. Or keep other drivers in mind when setting up a course. Just because you can do it with your truck doesn't mean others can.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #9

I would like to see a 1.9 beginers class i would have 4 willing participants that would show up.
Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

following !! thanks for getting this started !
drjones1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I just updated the original post to include discussions of how to be more beginner friendly. Thanks for the great feedback so far guys!

For those who would like to attend the meeting, be sure to also post up whether the date and location work for you.

Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #12

Hey guys... I've got my first crawler on its way. Hoping to get it by the end of the month. Due to budget I went to a 1/24 scale truck. Which made me think I wonder if there is a group doing indoor micros. If not it might be a way to get attendance up due to much lower cost of rigs.

Just an idea from a new guy. That don't mean it's a good one tho...
eyeofinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:29 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I am going to try and make it.

msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I just reserved the room at Davanni's. We have it from 1 to 3pm.

*Please remember that they won't charge us for the room if people are eating there. So come hungry! The lady also said if you call in your order early (at least the morning of) that you would get a 10% discount.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I think I can make it on Sunday, I'll have my newest crawler with me. Dana has mentioned something about the use of the almost completed course at my mom's farm. As things currently stand, I have not been able to reach an agreement as far as usage for a club sanctioned open to the public event. Quite frankly, the discussion has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth as I feel if the track were to continue it would have to be invite only and I'm not sure how I feel about excluding people from the fun. You would like to continue with the discussion at the meeting we can but that is where things currently stand far as track usage at my family property.
But I do look forward to seeing everybody again

Last edited by diesel kawboy; 12-01-2016 at 08:00 AM.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #16
Donkey Punch Champion!

Might or might not make it.

Any remaining MNRCRC Tshirts will be there too...bring your cash ladies. $20 each whatever sizes I got left.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Sounds good baller. I need to grab another shirt.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Were out for this one guys, sorry. I'll regret not seeing Ryan if he makes it and those shirts are really nice.

Have a great meeting. I'll be looking forward to hearing what you come up with for 2017.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #19

Going to try to make it but theres a good chance i wont. Id like to throw in my words that id love to see a run what you brung novice class as long as it is in the spirit of scale crawling that puts 1.9, 2.2, moa, etc together with the thought that through vote members of novice class can be and should be promoted up to competition 1.9 or 2.2 where full build rules apply if they are driving too well.

Back when i races buggys there were often 3 heats of novice drivers. The top three out of every A main got put in stock class. Once you were there you couldnt go back to novice. Kept the racing competative and got a ton of people in the sport. For novice they ran trucks and buggies together and after that seperated. Youd see tamiya grass hoppers and traxxas stampedes in that class. It let people have fun and compete with non competative cars, and also let those with competative cars but a lack of driving skill hone their abilities so they could confidently
step up with the pros of the track once they made it out of novice.
colombiapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well.... I got a sick kiddo this AM and the wife has to go into work to catch up with the weekend crew.

Looks like I am not going to make it after all.

msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote

MNRCRC 2016 Winter Meeting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MNRCRC (Winter?) Meeting Nicklepimp Minnesota 40 04-05-2014 08:56 PM
MNRCRC Winter Meeting.... CmdrZod Minnesota 167 04-15-2013 12:49 PM
MNRCRC Winter Meeting for 2012 Season Nicklepimp Minnesota 100 02-10-2012 02:03 PM
2010 MNRCRC Winter Meeting Nicklepimp Minnesota 79 04-04-2010 12:40 PM
MNRCRC Winter Meeting #1 Nicklepimp Minnesota 55 12-10-2008 08:56 AM