Notices

Thread: Tommy's Beast II 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #101
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: Tommy's Beast II 6x6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Some have sponsors and it seems they add small "billboards" to them for their sponsors' logos.
ok noooow i know why you painted it blue
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
ok noooow i know why you painted it blue
LOL! Y'know, I'm not even really sure why I painted it blue to be honest. I think because I thought the color could work as a Russian logging truck, a trials truck, or even a huge RV overlander. And at the time I painted it, I really wasn't sure what I was going to build!

I think if we had more big trucks like this locally, I'd have kept it more like a logging truck so I could haul stuff. But since we don't I'll end up running with much more capable rigs, which is why I've gravitated to making it a more capable trials truck so I could keep up. "Capable" is up to creative interpretation, of course, 'cause this thing has significant limitations! That being said, if you can get the front end on top of something (no small feet with all that overhang), it'll climb with the best of them. Loads of front weight and 6 super soft Flashpoints really help its climbing ability!

But for the color, I'm thinking of painting the bed silver to make it "sponsored" by Red Bull or I may paint it yellow/white and go with Bilstein. Not sure yet. I figure the right decision will come to me in a dream.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Looking good. Hmm....I have yet to see a video of this beast hauling anything. #6pack?
Well, it's not a video. And it's not beer. But it is a picture. And it is Miller Lite.

And a quick pic from a friend's backyard crawl spot tonight.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

good looking rig .I like where you have gone with it but did you shorten it to much to add another axle , or is there even a plan for that
fullsizecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizecrawler View Post
good looking rig .I like where you have gone with it but did you shorten it to much to add another axle , or is there even a plan for that
Maybe... I'd move the front axle just a bit farther forward and put the 2nd steering axle as close to it as possible. With everything else I have going on right now, I'm not sure this one will become an 8x8, but I sure would like for that to happen....

A bit of an update. I wheeled it this past weekend with some buddies. Unfortunately, in my effort to keep up with their rigs I pushed the 6x6 too hard. I broke something in the middle axle, popped out both front windshields, and cracked the roof. I was pretty disappointed with myself that I let that happen 'cause I wanted to wheel this thing more mildly and not tear it up. When will I learn?

Anyway, some pics before the carnage...

Old 01-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Got some bad news and some worse news...

First, the bad news. Last time crawlin' something gave out in the rear end. Best I could tell it was in the middle axle. Finally today I had chance to tear into it. Looks like one of the pinions (the front pinion, I believe) has stripped!

Here it is compared to the good pinion.

Now the worse news...

The 6x6 is going to a new owner. I fear I may regret selling this one more than others I've sold because I've ALWAYS wanted a 6x6 or 8x8, but I'm in the midst of taking on a pretty big, pricey project for my 1:1 Jeep and this cash will help fund it.

I'm really not going to enjoy letting this one go, but it has to happen...
Old 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Default Tommy's Beast II 6x6

Sad to see you have to let it go, but it looks like you got a lot (a lot) of enjoyment out of it. Thanks for sharing your build and adventures while you had it. Top work, as they say!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Thanks, man, I appreciate the kind words! I really did enjoy working on this one and I hope before I know it I'll be putting another one together. But for now, it's time to part ways, unfortunately.

Tommy's Beast II 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Beast II 6x6 IronGut Multi Axle Rigs 7 04-22-2015 09:30 AM
The Beast 6x6 revised blumaro Multi Axle Rigs 9 03-14-2014 02:11 PM