Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: Sportsman Class Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #41

If you do the sportsman class,more wheel time for me!!!!! yippeeee!!!!!And I'll spend just as much as i want,and when someone balks at my rig and what its worth,ill fight it tooth and nail.no way to prove what i spent!!!!!! then just when you think its over i'll spend some more!!!!!
1428turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
Ty
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1428turbo View Post
If you do the sportsman class,more wheel time for me!!!!! yippeeee!!!!!And I'll spend just as much as i want,and when someone balks at my rig and what its worth,ill fight it tooth and nail.no way to prove what i spent!!!!!! then just when you think its over i'll spend some more!!!!!
Where are you, and how is that fat ankle of yours. Hope you are good and I will see you soon.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Well I"M SORRY! For trying to get a class started for the new guys. I just thought that if we had more than a few SPORTSMAN rigs we could get a class started and it would be worth the effort to run a second set of courses. I would like for Max to be able to run his crawler with other new people. We have seen his intrest as of late. I stated in a previous post that Heather and myself would just run till the class grew.
Sorry again Chad
Psychomonkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

So now we are talking about running pro 2.2 sports 2.2 and 1.9s?

Wow, glad we all have won the lottery.
major94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
$500.00 limit...going to cause problems. It sounds more like you want a box stock not a sportsman. $500.00, is that retail, sales price, what you can find them used for, etc? What about those who are capable of making their own parts?

I think if we do this it should go according to the "Sportman" rules that were put in place by the USRCCA. That way there is less confusion and bickering (which we all know will happen).
remember this post... now that we have decided to go by the rules you are making a big deal out of it...
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
remember this post... now that we have decided to go by the rules you are making a big deal out of it...
I think I am doing a poor job of explaining myself. I will try to explain myself a little better and keep the discussion going.

I think a sportsman class is a great idea, as a beginners class (as in for Max, Greyson, new people or the younger crawlers out there) to get people used to comping and driving. What I do not want to see, nor do I think the intent of the Sportsman class ever was by reading quotes from Jason Henzel and others that have more experience in setting up and running crawler classes, was to turn into a second class for the good drivers to beat on the new and young crawlers.

If the 1.9 thing does not seem to be something that is wanted, lets put together a "fun" class. We can run Sportsman with the 2.2 class like I mentioned before and then run a separate class that is limited to...

Shaft driven
No dig
2 channels only to be used (first channel steering second for throttle/brake)
2.2 max wheel diameter
11" max width
11" wheel base
???
???
???

If we run the Sportsman with the 2.2 on the same courses and then run the Fun Class instead of the 1.9's I think it would be a good idea. This would give guys and gals a second class to run on comp days while leaving Sportsman for the young and new crawlers.

I am sorry if some think I was attacking them or somehow singling them or their ideas out. I just want crawling to thrive and grow in the NSCA but I see what the increase in driving skills and experience this group has achieved in the past year has done to drive new members from trying to compete. I think there should be a safe haven for the new to cut their teeth and learn while having fun. I also think having a second class for those who compete in 2.2 would do a lot to increase the fun factor of our hobby.

Are these all ideas and points that we can all agree on or at least debate until we can come to a consensus that meets the concerns of all of us? I am strongly against starting a sportsman class claiming it is for beginners or as a more cost friendly alternative to 2.2 when it is pretty obvious that neither will be true at all.

Now, any thoughts on what I just said?
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #47

We need to remember why this was brought up in the first place:

In the "Who's ready to man up" thread-
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
i don't know about adding another class to our comps yet... i think it would get more people interested in the club (under a 500 crawler ) and make us better drivers...you really have to think about your lines with a shafty and no dig... as for rigs id think ax10's, venoms , losi night crawlers, redcats you get the idea... no bully & berg rigs

i think sats at hobby town will help them out as well and us guys that have been running for a while can help the new people out...grow the club

We all want the club to grow and we all want to go out and have fun. Maybe at the meeting you could discuss just adding a couple of digless gtg's to the the schedule (so everyone knows about it) and people can get out their old rigs to play with, instead of them collecting dust. This way any new people that are interested can come by and hang out, find out more about crawling, join in the fun, see what we are up to and not feel intimidated by the whole comp situation. By just adding the dates to the calendar maybe we could get a better turn out from our club members, instead of a last minute thing that very few people can make it to. Some of the people we have met even said they would come play, but they don't get into the whole "comp thing". Maybe if we just have the dates posted ahead of time we would get a few more people to show up, they might not want to join the club, but word will still get out about us.

The club isn't going to grow if we continue getting upset with each other over opinions. Like Jim said earlier, please bring your ideas to the club meeting on Oct 2.
Rockin' Shafty Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Shafty Chick View Post
The club isn't going to grow if we continue getting upset with each other over opinions. Like Jim said earlier, please bring your ideas to the club meeting on Oct 2.
I don't think anyone has gotten upset, at least from what I have taken from the posts in this thread. This thread is to get everything out so that when we get to the meeting on October 2nd, we will have a jump start on getting to a point were we all can agree. This is just a healthy debate between people who are passionate about our hobby
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #49

Quote:
I don't think anyone has gotten upset, at least from what I have taken from the posts in this thread. This thread is to get everything out so that when we get to the meeting on October 2nd, we will have a jump start on getting to a point were we all can agree. This is just a healthy debate between people who are passionate about our hobby
My mistake, I guess I misunderstood, I'm not used to this kind of passionate debate!
Rockin' Shafty Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
My mistake, I guess I misunderstood, I'm not used to this kind of passionate debate!
Sorry if you thought I was upset, didn't mean to come off that way
Old 09-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

fun class sounds fun to me. Been doing this for a year and i still drive like a noob
ax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
By just adding the dates to the calendar maybe we could get a better turn out from our club members, instead of a last minute thing that very few people can make it to.
This statement is confusing to me. . . .

Our Summer Series scheduled was posted to the club website on March 11th for the entire season. Here is the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctz28 View Post
I just want to use the Axial I have just sitting here, and I love to comp. I would like to run 1.9 but like Dew said I already have the Axial. I dont care about a point series or anything like that, I just want to get better at crawling. Looking for a 1.9 now!
I think that this simple post by Ty says it all.

People were saying "Sportsman", which to me says "Novice".
What you really wanted was a shaftie - no dig class.

It seems like there is a lot of interest in it, so let's try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
Are you just wanting a random Sportsman comp here and there, or are you wanting to add it to the entire comp schedule?
Maybe we should drop the "Sportsman" name and call it something else so that there's no confusion.
My suggestion would be that we schedule a couple of comps before the snow flies that will only be shaft driven - no dig comps.
We could have them at HobbyTown to try and draw more interest too.

How does this sound?
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Brent, you are an angry fellow..........

I like 666 idea of having a 2.2 sport and 2.2 pro running the same course and cutting the sport off after 5 gates then progressing the 5-9 gates difficulty from there. I don't feel that we can get two classes completed in a reasonable time frame on such a small indoor course. We would definitely need to get more organized with our structure in order to finish something like this by midnight.

This looks kind of like some want to have a class for their children and if that's the case run them after the adults in their own separate series. We could have a trophy event for 16 and under.

Endless dollars spent on rigs will always happen that's what happened to me in real 1:1 competitions, it was still fun beating California guys with my farmer custom built crawler. Flashy rigs like Brent's definitely shows that money can't buy you a win.
no2hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Rich, I do not think we could run 2 separate classes in the winter series indoors. Like you said, a major lack of room. The Fun Class would be for outdoor comps this fall and for the summer series next year.

So are we starting to come to a middle ground? Sounds like it to me
Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Rich, I do not think we could run 2 separate classes in the winter series indoors. Like you said, a major lack of room. The Fun Class would be for outdoor comps this fall and for the summer series next year.

So are we starting to come to a middle ground? Sounds like it to me
Not sure if that's what others think, the feeling I got was for this winter.
no2hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

"well screw all of you " in my best Cartman voice "im going home"
dont you love how playing with toy cars gets us all excited
Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #57
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by no2hud View Post
Not sure if that's what others think, the feeling I got was for this winter.
Ya, I hear ya. I think 2 classes would work if we break it into 2 different days or run the 2.2 and Novice class like we did last winter and then run the fun class in Tuesday or Thursday nights. Sound reasonable?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

HobbyTown already has their own crawling thing going on Tuesday nights now. Tuesday Night Crawler Nights at the Plex
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

chad and i are going to come down on Tue the 12th to see how it works out for them...

i would like to run the fun class on Sat's once a month and not on a comp day...that being said we can always bring them and play between runs at most of the places we crawl cept maybe for hobby town
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
HobbyTown already has their own crawling thing going on Tuesday nights now. Tuesday Night Crawler Nights at the Plex
Yup, so lets try and run the fun class on Saturday or Sunday. See, easy