Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Most expensive rig!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
You can take the route I did. Read every thread on rccrawler you can, try and determine a consensus on what would be well spent money. Buy an axial and said selected hop up parts. Test it, tune it, think that it is doing pretty well. Go to a comp. Never once make it through a start gate. Spend more on hop ups. still never make it through a gate. Realize that most people are running hand made tires, wheels, and have access to 6 axis CNC machines at work. Give up on any thoughts of comping. Play at the local park. Total costs, about $2k.

I fully agree - spending money will not make you better - unless you are buying a college engineering degree and a CNC machining center (what about $200,000+?).

Or, buy a box stock 1/8 gas car. install a box stock .21 motor and radio. Win US Nationals with it - 0 hop ups. One sport is about the driver, one sport is about engineering, 2 totally different sports.

Look at the rigs that are winning these big events lately. Yes they use nice high quality parts, but most of them are off the shelf. Kamikaze chassis, links, berg axles, machined wheels, rovers, etc.

No need for hand made tires, or cnc axis. We have progressed the market to where you can buy almost anything you need. You just have to know what to buy. To have the best rigs it does take money but drivetime is more important than anything. Even if you have a poor setup rig you at least need to know how it will act.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Look at the rigs that are winning these big events lately. Yes they use nice high quality parts, but most of them are off the shelf. Kamikaze chassis, links, berg axles, machined wheels, rovers, etc.

No need for hand made tires, or cnc axis. We have progressed the market to where you can buy almost anything you need. You just have to know what to buy. To have the best rigs it does take money but drivetime is more important than anything. Even if you have a poor setup rig you at least need to know how it will act.
I cant tell, are you agreeing or disagreeing?
spiked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #23
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
I cant tell, are you agreeing or disagreeing?
Disagreeing with what you said before. You don't need access to a machine shop or have to design many/any of your own parts to have one of the most capable and well setup rigs out there.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #24

OK then why is it that I could not get an answer for the best product for a losi rock crawler but you can say that the best is better to get.
minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by minator View Post
OK then why is it that I could not get an answer for the best product for a losi rock crawler but you can say that the best is better to get.
A big part of that is just personal preference alone. Different subject completely,but it's relevant....

Allot of guys think stock Rover foam is way to soft,specially in the front tires. Personally,I think it's perfect.

Same thing can be used in motors,ESC's,servo's,battery's,CVD's....anything. Allot of things can be learned on RCC to eliminate some trial and error. BUT,there will still need to be some testing and tuning by the driver in the field.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Expensive parts set themselves up. Didn't you know that?
i like harleys look on things. we have alot in common
KILLER KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #27
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I'd say JIA's hydro steer Scorpion scaler is up there in price....and that's an OG rig to,built before all these fancy new little gizmo's were made up.
He had over $800 just in the steering on that rig!

I've sold crawlers for over $2K. I'd say most of mine have $1200+ in them. My collection I'd say is about $18k-20K+, that's all my RC's

Baller is up there, Joe is up there....I know a few on here that prob have $30K+ in RC's!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #28
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

I'm just going to put it this way rather than throw any figures up on any of my builds

Just since I've gotten into RC crawling (only about 3 years ago), my Paypal account reached it's spending limit. My spending limit was reached about 8 months ago...so it only took just over 2 years to get there.

Anyone with a Paypal account will know how much that amount is

AND......I don't even comp my rigs............it's just a hobby :-P
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

When i add in my labor cost.......
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Disagreeing with what you said before. You don't need access to a machine shop or have to design many/any of your own parts to have one of the most capable and well setup rigs out there.
A straight on incline, or an inclined side crawl - neither one take ANY driver skill, yet it seems to be popular at the comps to see how far they can push them. If the comps would concentrate more on driver skill, I'd agree, but they don't.
Not saying you can not have fun, I do just about every weekend. But it's not at a comp.
spiked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #31
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
When i add in my labor cost.......
And stickers.....
Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #32
RCC Addict

i gave up trying to count after a month into crawlers and my bank account suddenly getting smaller by each passing click of the "pay now" icon on paypal

my girlfriend curses the day i started looking through the vendors and for sale section of rcc
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Our vendors are doing everything they can to make the hobby more expensive Back in the day you could build a comp-winning rig with a pair of TLT axles (JB lockers FTW!), a Pede tranny and 20 bucks worth of aluminum. Those OG rigs can't even carry the jockstrap of a properly set up (and driven) Berg or Losi.

The more stuff you make yourself, the less you spend. The more you bolt on, the better it looks. Some hop-ups are necessary, some are just bling, but none of them will win you a comp without proper testing, setup, and practice.

If you're getting stuck at the start gate you need more wheel time.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

This shits cheap compared to what some of us have into our 1:1's

As someboday stated--you can't beat good quality/well built parts and you typicly pay for that quality. If you can't finish a course--you can't win
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

i think i had about $1500 into my axial but only about $700 into my badas$ berg! maybe less!

Last edited by jamesdicken; 08-25-2009 at 12:45 PM.
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
i think i had about $1500 into my axial but only about $700 into my badas$ berg!
Its pretty funny really---I had alot more into my TLT shafty than I have into my MOA... And the MOA can outdo what my well setup shafty could....
Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
Hateraide

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
This shits cheap compared to what some of us have into our 1:1's

thats not fully true, you can buy a 1.1 for 10k, some rc's can cost up to 5-10k im not really saying crawlers in general but rc's, even scale rigs can cost up to 3-4grand all those little parts add up those sneaky bastards lol

ive prob spent 7k in rc's in the past 5yrs and the past year like 3k damn hobbies
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
i think i had about $1500 into my axial but only about $700 into my badas$ berg! maybe less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Its pretty funny really---I had alot more into my TLT shafty than I have into my MOA... And the MOA can outdo what my well setup shafty could....
Crazy but true! I had over $1800 into my Axial rig and know where near that into my Berg, but I have almost as much into my mini as I do in my Berg....
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Crazy but true! I had over $1800 into my Axial rig and know where near that into my Berg, but I have almost as much into my mini as I do in my Berg....
but your mini is sick!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
thats not fully true, you can buy a 1.1 for 10k, some rc's can cost up to 5-10k im not really saying crawlers in general but rc's, even scale rigs can cost up to 3-4grand all those little parts add up those sneaky bastards lol

ive prob spent 7k in rc's in the past 5yrs and the past year like 3k damn hobbies
Thats true--but I wasn't talking buying--refering to building a rig.. Some of us have more into our axles as some have into there whole rig,lol..