Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Most expensive rig!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #41
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
You can take the route I did. Read every thread on rccrawler you can, try and determine a consensus on what would be well spent money. Buy an axial and said selected hop up parts. Test it, tune it, think that it is doing pretty well. Go to a comp. Never once make it through a start gate. Spend more on hop ups. still never make it through a gate. Realize that most people are running hand made tires, wheels, and have access to 6 axis CNC machines at work. Give up on any thoughts of comping. Play at the local park. Total costs, about $2k.

I fully agree - spending money will not make you better - unless you are buying a college engineering degree and a CNC machining center (what about $200,000+?).

Or, buy a box stock 1/8 gas car. install a box stock .21 motor and radio. Win US Nationals with it - 0 hop ups. One sport is about the driver, one sport is about engineering, 2 totally different sports.

If this is a *&^% measuring contest I win
outofreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofreach View Post
If this is a *&^% measuring contest I win
no you wouldn't!
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #43
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
no you wouldn't!
You misunderstood the me, I didn't mean how many I measured.......
Old 08-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You misunderstood the me, I didn't mean how many I measured.......
ha, nicely done sir!
Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #45
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
ha, nicely done sir!
All in fun Now where were we

I have a berg and x-crawler each with tons of hours in them and $1,500 plus each and they both still suck.

Last edited by outofreach; 08-25-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
All in fun Now where were we

I have a berg and x-crawler each with tons of hours in them and $1,500 plus each and they both still suck.
thats why i ditched my axial!
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #47
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Quote:
A straight on incline, or an inclined side crawl - neither one take ANY driver skill, yet it seems to be popular at the comps to see how far they can push them. If the comps would concentrate more on driver skill, I'd agree, but they don't.
Not saying you can not have fun, I do just about every weekend. But it's not at a comp.
I disagree, picking a line up the incline or across the face of an off camber rock take driver skill but, another large aspect of the hobby is rig set-up. Most of the time off camber side hills and inclines are designed to test the rig. If all the lines were doable by a box stock axial it would get boring really fast. Gives you something to work for.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #48

Well im not gonna argue - we can agree to disagree. But I will leave you with a prediction; crawling may (despite itself) get big enough for the powers that be to start specing tires, wheels and inserts. I've seen it happen before in other rc competition, and for the exact same reasons. Some people consider it 'tuning your rig' , but it will turn off the masses, and the vendors are driven by volume, vendors not happy; sport dies. Or maybe becomes what some people would prefer - no off the shelf participation, custom made only. I dont think there is anything wrong with that, there are several, low volume RC sports as such - 1 meter sailing (hand built from plugs only), open wheel dirt oval (hand built frames/etc/.21 engines) - the just never get many people into them. Just depends on where you want the sport to go.
spiked3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #49
Hateraide

Quote:
Well im not gonna argue - we can agree to disagree. But I will leave you with a prediction; crawling may (despite itself) get big enough for the powers that be to start specing tires, wheels and inserts. I've seen it happen before in other rc competition, and for the exact same reasons. Some people consider it 'tuning your rig' , but it will turn off the masses, and the vendors are driven by volume, vendors not happy; sport dies. Or maybe becomes what some people would prefer - no off the shelf participation, custom made only. I dont think there is anything wrong with that, there are several, low volume RC sports as such - 1 meter sailing (hand built from plugs only), open wheel dirt oval (hand built frames/etc/.21 engines) - the just never get many people into them. Just depends on where you want the sport to go.

sounds like your mad because nitro vehicles have died and electric and crawlers have jumped up....noob
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Thats true--but I wasn't talking buying--refering to building a rig.. Some of us have more into our axles as some have into there whole rig,lol..
X2 ....lol
bige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
LEft field is over there
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Was there actually a point to any of this? :?
Nate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Here, you dropped these: [offtopic] [/offtopic]
Karadjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:

Gosh not again
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddill View Post
Gosh not again
Didn't know I needed your permission to express my opinion. My apologies superior crawler king.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Default BOooM!!

Here you go, These expensive enough for you! Twin Bergs

carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #57

It's just an opinion. some people feel it is an attack on them or something. Instead of discussing it they just resort to childish replies.

Anyhow, it's not like I dont understand RC competition. I have been in RC since 77, 1/4 owner in a $2million/yr RC hobby store, Sponsor and Engineer for 2001 National 1/10 touring car champ, and participant in many heated discussions with ROAR executives - i've been around. I don't need a newb telling me I'm mad about something when I have never expressed any thing like that. I've said it over and over, if I wanted to compete I would (I have a CNC in my spare bedroom for petes sakes), I don't want to, its too much effort for where I am in life. That doesn't mean I don't have a valid opinion about how many new people feel about the sport.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
This shits cheap compared to what some of us have into our 1:1's
That is so true 4 me! I have/had(sold it) 15k on a 5k jeep wrangler! Lift, 3 sets of tires, kc lights, hard top and a whole lot more!
h2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

There is an artical in the crawler mag. He added 1,200 to a losi mini? Why? What a waste!!

Quote:
Didn't know I needed your permission to express my opinion. My apologies superior crawler king.
h2oboy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #60
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oboy21 View Post
There is an artical in the crawler mag. He added 1,200 to a losi mini? Why? What a waste!!
Really not that hard to do, start adding everything up that you would want. Nothing is "cheap" in this hobby.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote