Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best crawler for $200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best crawler for $200

Hello
I am looking to get a new crawler I have duratrax cc. What is the best crawler for $200?

Thanks
Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I have a Redcat rs10 and an Axial rtc and I can say I like things about each one. The redcat was cheaper, but the radio is garbage, servos are absolutely trash, tires blow and it comes with alot of 2.5mm hardware which loves to snap off. The axial is a little more expensive, but the radio has good reception, servo has held up fine so far" alittle weak, but hey it's a rtr set up" and the tires hook up well after some weights and cutiing of foams. I broke my Redcat constantly at first and have yet to break the axial aside from driveshaft coming off outputs. I love my redcat now that it's reliable and modded up and am sure I will love the Axial just as much when I put a little $ in it.
It usually runs fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Are you looking for a ready to run crawler or do you have a radio, batteries, charger etc? In my opinion for the money the AX10 RTC package is one of the better values out there. Tons of aftermarket support and proven durability. It's going to run you around $250 shipped so I would look at increasing your budget a little or keeping your eye on the classifieds once you can view it. The Venom Creeper is another option you should consider but it's a kit so you will need to add electronics which is probably going to end up being more expensive than the AX10 but be able to keep it in budget with some lightly used gear.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skier View Post
Hello
I am looking to get a new crawler I have duratrax cc. What is the best crawler for $200?

Thanks
I don't think there is one. Maybe a Losi Mini or Micro. Do you want a 1/10 scale? A Losi Night Crawler RTR can be had for under $300 but you have to shop around to find that price.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1201
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
In my opinion for the money the AX10 RTC package is one of the better values out there. Tons of aftermarket support and proven durability. It's going to run you around $250 shipped so I would look at increasing your budget a little...
x2! save $50 more bux and get the ax10 RTC.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/CMaxximus5.0 View Post
x2! save $50 more bux and get the ax10 RTC.
I took this advice! I tried to price out a Venom and using the cheapest parts it came out about the same.
I now have the Ax 10 on the way,for the money it seems to be a great place to start.You can build it into an $800 comp crawler if you want, but get started at $250.
paul6ppca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #7

i have that truck ,, its great . very good starter climber . get new tires , and some wight up front and she does wonders . also you will want to remove the battery from the top ... get it down low . this sight has alot of great tips for that truck . is there a hobby store near you ? do you know how to solder ?

Last edited by itsonlysir; 03-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.
itsonlysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #8

you will see in this pic , that i took the skid plate off and moved the rear brace bars to the inside of the truck . also if you get some 40/40 all thread and some carbon fiber tube that the 40/40 rod will slide into. ( sorry not sure the size of the carbon fiber tube , then get you some aluminum tubing size 7/32 x .014 or ( 5.56mm x .355mm ) . and then get some ball ends . you can now make metal brace arms instead of the plastic ones that come on the truck . the stock ones work , but you will see them flex alot , and they also cause tork twist .

to make them cut the threaded rod , the carbon rod and the aluminum rod all the the correct length . ( dont forget to measure the ball ends in with the length ya need . i just layed the stock bars on the table and layed out the ball ends and measured between them to get my size for cutting . also dont for get the threaded rod stick out about 1/4 inch past the new rods ya cut , so that the ball ends will screw on to them.

then screw one ball end on the threaded rod , then slid the carbon tube over the threads then slide the aluminum tube over the carbon rod , fit's like a glove , then screw on the other ball end , and wala you have a metal ( carbon braced ) brace bar . if you want to do like i did , get some bic pens and cut to size and slide over the aluminum . seams like over kill , but the plastic slides over the rocks easier and the plastic pen tubes spin around the metal helping slip you off the rock . i think buying everything i spent like 22 bucks .
but i did my front steering and linkage bars , along with all 4 of the bottem brace bars .

hope this help's . if ya want pm me and i have alot of tips with this truck .

oh yea hear is mine .

itsonlysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Where can one get this AX10 RTC kit?
SI10 LAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

RPPHobby.com and TCSCrawlers.com to name a couple.
Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I got mine at amainhobby.
paul6ppca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks.

Is an AX10 RTC the best bang for the buck in that price range? I've read some saying that they would just use the axles and trans and piece one together if they had to start over.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

For an off-the-shelf rtr crawler, yes it is...but you will eventually want to upgrade a few parts here and there and change some things around. Put it this way, of all the RTR crawlers out there, for that price range, I wouldn't consider anything other than the AX10 RTC.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Could I build an "AX10" with the upgraded parts for the same $$$$?

If so i'd be interested to here what everyone considers must have upgrades for an AX10.

I know anything can get out of hand but i'd sure like to waste the least amount of moneyt that I can while getting started.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI10 LAN View Post

If so i'd be interested to here what everyone considers must have upgrades for an AX10.

I know anything can get out of hand but i'd sure like to waste the least amount of moneyt that I can while getting started.

Possibly, especially if you got some of the parts used. Must have upgrades would be aluminum knuckles and C's, along with either MIP or Traxxas Stampede driveshafts. Some may also suggest better outdrives for the tranny, but I've never had any issues with mine. It largely depends on if you want to assemble your own, assemble a kit, or buy a RTR/RTC and run it, then tear it down and rebuild it with upgraded/replacement parts.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I think you could come pretty close as long as you get a good deal on the tranny and axles and fab some of your own parts. Here's what I did with my RTC right out of the box.

forbid89's rig in progress

Aside of buying some tools I didn't have I spent very little making my own links out of brake line and delrin, as well as link plates from scrap aluminum. Start watching the classifieds and see if you can score a deal on parts.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

You can build a ax10/scx10 for pretty cheap if you
1. have access to the clasifieds section. (you'll need to wait your 30 days/30 post or buy a star. Buying a star is the best $20 you'll spend on your crawler)
2. A paypal account with money in it.
3. Ebay
4. Patience.

Heck, you could practally build a crawler from RPP's salvage yard section.
They had Axial axles on there earlier today for $45 bucks I think, now they're gone.
http://www.rpphobby.com/category_s/407.htm

or, you can get some really good deals in the classifieds section here. Theres always upgraded trucks (a lot of ax10's) for cheaper then a new rtr for sale. If you go that route you gotta be quick! You need to check it a few times a day and have money in your paypal account. Most sellers here are really good about price. I recently bought a kinda rare item here for $50, there's a used one (only 1) on ebay right now for a buy it now price of $130!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:

Umm, it's real easy to get out of hand!
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214810
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the info! I'm thinking that I am going to try and build one in that price range.

I have a good friend that has a built AX10 so I can look to it for a solid parts list since I really like the way that it works.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #20

Get a used venom creeper, for the money you cant go wrong.
boog1313 is offline   Reply With Quote