Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith motor and ESC question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial Wraith motor and ESC question

Hello,

Obviously I'm a noob to the forum, so please be gentle....

I'm looking at possibly getting that Axial Wraith (kit) crawler. Since I'm going with the kit, what would you guys recommend for a good brushless motor and ESC? I'm a beginner, but I would like to get something that I'm not going to have to upgrade a couple months after I get it.

Looking at something mid-line, nothing crazy expensive but nothing super cheap-o.

I would appreciate any input, suggestions, or recommendations you have.

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

**sorry if this is not where I should be posting this thread.**
2-shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial Wraith motor and ESC question

Nevermind.... I found the "Choose the right motor and ESC" thread.

I am such a noob!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Don't worry about being a newb. We are all newbs.

DO NOT...AND I MEAN DO NOT GO CHEAP on electronics..especially brushless. Buy a Mamba Max Pro for around $100 on ebay..It will run brushed, sensored, and sensorless brushless motors..it will run 2-6S lipo, it has more programmable features than you can possibly EVER use..

Then pick a good motor for the type of driving you do..

I run a Mamba Max Pro (waterproofed in epoxy) with a Traxxas Titan 12T on 4S lipo. With this set-up I can do slow,technical crawling one minute, then be high-speed power-sliding thru icy trails the next..

Hope that helps...

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 01-22-2012 at 06:30 PM.
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

..and as far as brushless motors, if you want to do ANY crawling with it, you have to use sensored motors. The cheap brushless motors from China may work great for a drifter, but ABSOLUTELY SUCK for crawlers..

If you are married to the idea of brushless, save up for a good 18.5T sensored motor from Tekin or Novak...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

[QUOTE=the_ghetto_rig;3523627]Don't worry about being a newb. We are all newbs.

DO NOT...AND I MEAN DO NOT GO CHEAP on electronics..especially brushless. Buy a Mamba Max Pro for around $100 on ebay..It will run brushed, sensored, and sensorless brushless motors..it will run 2-6S lipo, it has more programmable features than you can possibly EVER use..

Then pick a good motor for the type of driving you do..

I run a Mamba Max Pro (waterproofed in epoxy) with a Traxxas Titan 12T on 4S lipo. With this set-up I can do slow,technical crawling one minute, then be high-speed power-sliding thru icy trails the next..

Hope that helps...[/QUO

Thank you.
Sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm not really sold on the brushless idea in the wraith. After doing some research, I'm leaning more toward the brushed side. Yes, I do like the brushless VXL in my mini e-revo for the speed, but the wraith is a whole different animal.

Ghetto - thanks for understanding my noobness!!

That's kind of why I'm going with the wraith kit. I can build the kit, add the upgrades as I go, while saving for good electronics. Build the perfect beast!!!

Thanks for your help and advice guys, I really do appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

No prob 2-shot..

The biggest thing to take into consideration is "What am i gonna do with the Wraith?"...

Ask yourself the following: What's my local terrain like? Am I gonna be competing with it? Will I run it in water?

I have been through MANY vehicles and set-ups that were absolutely useless for what I had around me..Like when i built a 1/8 nitro buggy, but couldn't get out to the track except every two weeks...or the fact that I LOVE drifters, but all I've got are gravel roads around me..

Figure out what you are gonna have the most fun doing with it, then build accordingly..
Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #8

Talking Re: Axial Wraith motor and ESC question

Just wanted to saty, the guys on this forum are awesome. EVERYONE seems to b interested in helping out the new guy. I've been on here for a week or so , and gotten tons of good advice .
flierwantstocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks ghetto, very good advice. You gave me something to think about at work today.
I doubt I will compete with it. I live in a subdivision, but I have some decent terrain really close to me. I don't care about the speed (have the mini e revo vxl for speed) just want it to be a good all-arounder.

Thanks again for all your help! You guys rock!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #10

Hey new guy here, I got my hands on a used wraith with a novak brushless crawler motor and esc. I had to put a trans in it so I went with the stock unit. After about 10 minutes of running it I got a puff of smoke from the esc area and nothing but some blinking lights and weird noises from the esc. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm thinking I'm going to need a new esc? Also how tight should the nut that holds the spring on inside the gear box from the transmission be? Any chance I over tightened that? Thanks in advance.
oneilj18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm running my Wraith with a Team Orion Method Pro 20t motor and the stock brushed ESC. The top speed is probably about 10mph or so, so it's not a speed demon, but it's good for general off-road bashing in addition to crawling over stuff. And it cost a lot less than a proper sensored-brushless setup, which is what you'll need if you want to crawl with a brushless motor.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneilj18 View Post
Hey new guy here, I got my hands on a used wraith with a novak brushless crawler motor and esc. I had to put a trans in it so I went with the stock unit. After about 10 minutes of running it I got a puff of smoke from the esc area and nothing but some blinking lights and weird noises from the esc. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I'm thinking I'm going to need a new esc? Also how tight should the nut that holds the spring on inside the gear box from the transmission be? Any chance I over tightened that? Thanks in advance.
That spring controls how easily the slipper clutch can slip, to keep the motor from stalling and to prevent the drivetrain from being shocked hard enough to break something. You can't cause the electronics to burn out by over-tightening the slipper clutch, UNLESS the motor was stalled for a long time and it overheated. (a stalled motor is nothing more than an electric heating coil.) However, you really ought to start your own thread to discuss your problem, instead of asking questions in the middle of someone else's thread.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-06-2014 at 02:25 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith motor and ESC question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added! Harley Axial Wraith 2065 05-06-2022 01:02 PM
wraith brushless motor/esc help joelKID984 Electronics 5 12-15-2011 07:43 AM
What motor/esc for my Wraith Kit? KraKenRC Axial Wraith 5 10-12-2011 11:59 AM
Wraith Motor and ESC selection neillarson Electronics 2 07-08-2011 06:37 AM