Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: newbie Wraith questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #1

Default newbie Wraith questions

Hi All

just getting back into the r/c car hobby after a few years off, well about 25, and have decided to go for a crawler rather than the fast buggies of my youth!

I have just ordered a Wraith RTR as my first project (RTR to get me running quickly) and intend to mod it up later.

I have read many of the topics regarding gearing etc and no doubt will be sorting this once I have cooked my stock motor.

My first question is going to be where to purchase spares, there seem to be a couple of UK based retailers with some basic spares but am looking for some recommendations for the more serious upgrade parts.

thanks in advance

Chris
Cornwall, near England
chrisring is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
THW
Rock Stacker

Default Re: newbie Wraith questions

Take a look in the Wraith section, l0ts of good info there. MIP driveshafts, replace the plastic links and a better than stock servo should top your list.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome,
A good place to look for parts both upgrade and replacement is RPP Hobby. They carry many different manufactures products. RPP is in the US so shipping will hurt a little.
There are a lot of UK people here, might need to ask someone about a local supplier.
RPP is here RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models.
Happy trails.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Hi Chris,
I have purchased parts from RcBitz which is located in the UK and the purchase went well.

Rc-Bitz in Salisbury, Wiltshire RC Model Shops

You can browse the rest of the directory for other local hobby stores.

If shipping cost is no object then RPP Hobbies is dealer to buy from.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hi from yorkshire, I have a wraith and would highly recommend it if you do a few simple things.

I would replace the front dogbone driveshafts with the axial universal driveshafts because the steering is poor and they wear out quickly, jam up and break knuckles and C-hubs(which are a PITA to source in the UK)

I would also get a LiPo for it because NiMh aren't powerful enough, are too heavy and give bad run times.

I would also add around 60grams to the front wheels, and flip the link/shock mounts, both of these help to lower the centre of gravity.

If you get stuck post on a forum because UK modelshops tend not to know crawlers, if a UK modelshop shows out of stock then I would always order from abroad because it will be miles quicker and cheaper.

But for serious upgrades: a castle creations mamba max pro and tekin pro4 3300kv and CC BEC for a new high torque servo, different Tx/Rx if you want dig or a winch, robinson racing transmission internals, MIP driveshafts, Aluminium knuckles, C-hubs, lockouts, Vanquish wheels, R35 ripsaw tires, upgraded links, Upgraded steering links, Shorter (or just limit stock) shocks, Move the battery forward to where the ESC is.

I would join a UK forum such as rccrawling.co.uk or ukrcrc.com to find out where you can meet like minded people.

Hope this helps and have fun

Last edited by ROCKST*R; 07-03-2012 at 11:42 AM.
ROCKST*R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisring View Post

Cornwall, near England
And here I thought the Cornwall area WAS part of England.

A couple of US based parts suppliers I use are AMain Hobbies and Toadz RC, both in California. They both offer great shipping to Canada, and I'm surmising just as decent to the UK and have fairly large inventories.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
And here I thought the Cornwall area WAS part of England.

A couple of US based parts suppliers I use are AMain Hobbies and Toadz RC, both in California. They both offer great shipping to Canada, and I'm surmising just as decent to the UK and have fairly large inventories.

In England they like to think that
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKST*R View Post
Hi from yorkshire, I have a wraith and would highly recommend it if you do a few simple things.

I would replace the front dogbone driveshafts with the axial universal driveshafts because the steering is poor and they wear out quickly, jam up and break knuckles and C-hubs(which are a PITA to source in the UK)

I would also get a LiPo for it because NiMh aren't powerful enough, are too heavy and give bad run times.

I would also add around 60grams to the front wheels, and flip the link/shock mounts, both of these help to lower the centre of gravity.

If you get stuck post on a forum because UK modelshops tend not to know crawlers, if a UK modelshop shows out of stock then I would always order from abroad because it will be miles quicker and cheaper.

But for serious upgrades: a castle creations mamba max pro and tekin pro4 3300kv and CC BEC for a new high torque servo, different Tx/Rx if you want dig or a winch, robinson racing transmission internals, MIP driveshafts, Aluminium knuckles, C-hubs, lockouts, Vanquish wheels, R35 ripsaw tires, upgraded links, Upgraded steering links, Shorter (or just limit stock) shocks, Move the battery forward to where the ESC is.

I would join a UK forum such as rccrawling.co.uk or ukrcrc.com to find out where you can meet like minded people.

Hope this helps and have fun

many thanks for all the info. my list of upgrades is getting bigger and not even run the thing yet!

some advice has said "AXIAL WRAITH STAGE 1 ALUMINIUM LINKS KIT" would be a good first ugrade.
Is the drive shaft mod you suggest AX30780?

Also is the Level 3 CMS a good option?
and what else could I do up the front if doing those mod's

cheers
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
THW
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisring View Post
many thanks for all the info. my list of upgrades is getting bigger and not even run the thing yet!

some advice has said "AXIAL WRAITH STAGE 1 ALUMINIUM LINKS KIT" would be a good first ugrade.
Is the drive shaft mod you suggest AX30780?

Also is the Level 3 CMS a good option?
and what else could I do up the front if doing those mod's

cheers
The driveshaft mod is to use a 6mm bolt epoxied into the male end or a 6 mm metal tube epoxied to keep it from collapsing and destroying itself. As for links, try making some out of allthread and brake tubing with some good rod ends. I made a set in 20 mins for around $1.50 american per link, plus you can play with driveline angles and lengths. Use the same technique to make a steering shaft, the plastic is terrible. Never used a CMS, so I cant help, but a bit of sheet delrin or Carbon Fibre and you can fab your own lowering kit, it helps stability. Spend some time in the Wraith section and absorb some of our tricks.
THW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

these are two great threads to subscribe to:

Wraith Beginners Guide

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith
zidaro is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie Wraith questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie questions skid plate Comments, Suggestions, and Help 1 05-17-2012 11:15 AM
Li-Po newbie questions Grumpster1980 Electronics 0 02-24-2010 12:25 PM
newbie here have questions on what to get hdcherokee Newbie General 8 12-17-2007 07:55 PM
Newbie here- some questions veewee25 HPI Wheely King 4 06-09-2007 01:08 PM
newbie, few questions eaglesfn68 Newbie General 4 12-03-2006 05:18 PM