Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Just getting started need some help pls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1

Default Just getting started need some help pls

hoping someone can point me in the right direction. i have been in the RC WORLD on and off for 20yrs, started with nitro planes, nitro buggies electric planes,helis. pretty much just do it on my own never belonged to any clubs, mainly did it alone and with a few friends. have kinda been out of the loop for the past 4yrs, and have just got back into running my nitro buggies. this may sound weird but i just found out about rc crawling. and is something i'd like to get into, but know zilch about it. athough i am amazed at some of the rigs i've seen, especially the axles on them. i have seen videos on youtube an have looked at a few different crawlers just don't know where to start. what would be a great crawler to get. i kinda like the AXIAL AX10 i have seen a few by LOSI. i would want a crawler that i can upgrade down the road,so availabilty for parts needs to be the type of crawler i'd want. i won't be entering any competions, so i don't need the top of the line stuff, but i do want a VERY CAPABLE one. i don't want to sound dumb but i also want to have one with fully locked axles & 4 wheel steering & 2.2 wheels and tires. i enjoy building things so a kit is no problem. i do have a good radio and receiver already, that has the ability for 4wheel steering and mixing options.i don't know a lot about electric motors or esc though so i get lost on all the kv & motor turn stuff. i would like to go the least expensive rout at first but don't want junk either. so would it be better to start new or try and find a good used roller? any help that anyone provides would be really appreciated. thanks to anyone that responds...
jds98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Just getting started need some help pls

Welcome to RCC, have a good look at the different sections in here and work out if you want a scaler or crawler (it sounds like a crawler is what your after)maybee see if there is a comp or gtg close by that you can check out and talk to a few of the members on here (they might even let you have a drive of a few different types of comp rigs to see what you like, I don't know much about comp crawlers as I have scalers myself, but have a look at the AXIAL AX10 or XR10 crawlers and you will get an idea of what they are, if not have a look at the AXIAL SCX10. Hope this helps.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

thanks. i don't necessarily need one that is scale in looks. one of the reasons i haven't been into rcing the past 4 yrs is i lost the ability to drive. so getting around isn't easy for me. i callled local hobby stores and asked if there was any local events and there isn't any. i am hoping to hear from some one that has been into this for a while and already been through the trail and erro phase.
jds98zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It sounds like a comp crawler is what your looking for. Check out the Axial XR10 section and the Enroute Berg section on here. XR10's probably the way to go for you if you're looking for aftermarket support. Berg is usually more of a builders rig - but you never know.
new2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Xr10 is a great way to start. For a capable comp rig from stock at least.. Or I would look into the Axial ridgecrest or maybe a Wraith if you want something faster??
gtxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

I started with AX10 Scorpions, and can whole-heartedly recommend them. However if those were to go bye-bye, I'd more than likely make the jump to an AX10 Ridgecrest before buying a used Scorpion.
Only thing I would caution you on with the XRs would be that they have a reputation for needing to be upgraded right out of the box. Stripping gears is a known issue, though they may be coming with stronger gears now. If the budget's kinda tight, remember the XRs need two motors versus the Wraith/Ridgecrest only one, which will require two decent ESCs or one really good one (read: don't skimp if going single). On my Scorpions (and Wraith/Ridgecrests) you only need to deal with one motor and ESC, which tends to keep your costs down. 4 wheel steering can get to be kind of an expensive proposition, might not want to get hung up on absolutely having that just yet. I don't think shafties need it, and I think a dig switch on an MOA would be cheaper and more effective. (or channel mixing if you have the capability)
If you had more experience with crawlers, I might recommend going used, but if you're starting out and you buy used, it's going to be rather difficult for you to know how things on your rig 'should be', and any posts asking for help are going to be quite lengthy if you know what everything is and have to go through telling us of your entire setup just to get an 'is this right?' type of question answered. Hit the practice area and get good at posting pics and/or vids, is about all I can say.
I have, and like, the shafties, so that's what I personally would suggest. But I think it's all going to come down to personal preference. If after lurking in the XR section you can pretty handily figure out what the guys are talking about, then you've probably got enough knowledge to go MOA. Just don't know that I'd send a beginner down that path.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Go with the ax10. lots of support and tons of aftermarket parts. Easiest way to get in to crawling. XR10s are good but I suggest the ax10 to start.

Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I would recommend the ridgecrest to start out if you're looking for fully locked and four wheel steering. It also has a ton of upgrades already just out of the box plus the aftermarket support as already stated is great.
jray is offline   Reply With Quote

Just getting started need some help pls - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions pls??? sabohead Paint and Body 6 04-26-2011 08:47 PM
Need advice.....pls? sabohead General Crawlers 9 01-18-2011 04:01 AM
Ok I need help pls.... sabohead General Crawlers 9 01-16-2011 11:18 PM
SWX pls help channo Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-14-2009 05:20 PM
Some help pls! G-crawler General Crawlers 3 03-08-2007 04:13 PM