Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help me choose a battery and charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #1

Question Help me choose a battery and charger

First off i have searched and have a good basic knowledge of batterys but just couldnt find the answers i needed. I just got my first rc crawler a few days ago and love it! its a max stone 10. Im ready to upgrade the battery to get longer run time and shorter charge time. I understand lipos seem to be the way to go but it seems like a decent nimh would work fine as well. The battery that the rig came with is a 7.2v 1800 mAh. I found this package deal that has 2-7.2v 3800mAh batterys and a charger that charges in 1-2 hours Amazon.com: Two 7.2V 3800mAh High Power NiMH Batteries with A 7.2V-12V Smart Charger: Toys & Games

Would this do okay? Could someone suggest a better option? im open to a lipo set up if they arent to outragously priced.
blake22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: Help me choose a battery and charger

can pretty well guarantee you those batteries won't be charged in any less than 2 hours 15 minutes each. The batts would probably work quite well for you, but there's better and cheaper chargers out there.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Why not go lipo?
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
RCC Addict

look into the
thunder ac6, decent price about 50 bucks and does a crap load of different batts.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I like Turnigy, I 'm sure there is better out there but, for me this does the trick - Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories (USA Warehouse)

And get a Lipo!!!
5VoltDetonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i use the onyx 235 charger it dose them all with great results an comes with a bunch of adapters in the box
tdevilman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I use a turnigy 200 watt charger and computer supply I converted into charger power supply. Less the 60 bucks into hole system. A 5000 math lupo takes 20-30 minutes to charge at 2c which is 10 amps. 2200 batteries take 8-15 minutes. I try and buy lipos with a charge rate of 4c or higher.

NiMH just plane takes forever no matter the charger used
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

It's hard to beat the Thunder AC6 for the money. Charges almost anything and comes with a bunch of different adapter harnesses.

For batteries you'd likely be best served with cheapo 2200mah 30C or 40C rated 2s packs. The better budget options are from Turnigy or Fly Sky.

They'll ditch a lot of weight compared to the NIMH stick packs. The smaller size also opens up more mounting options.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
It's hard to beat the Thunder AC6 for the money. Charges almost anything and comes with a bunch of different adapter harnesses.

For batteries you'd likely be best served with cheapo 2200mah 30C or 40C rated 2s packs. The better budget options are from Turnigy or Fly Sky.

They'll ditch a lot of weight compared to the NIMH stick packs. The smaller size also opens up more mounting options.
I looked at the diffrent options yall have suggested and the thunder AC6 does seem pretty good for the money. I have a question about the c rating on batterys. Can you have to high of a c rating for your electronics such as your esc or motor? how long would a 2200 mah 30c battery last??
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #10

Just found this battery. wow 10000mah!! that must last 3 hours!
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-10...se-direct.html

What about this battery? it seems to have some good reviews. would it work for me? http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

what would the charge time be?

Last edited by blake22; 12-29-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I bet close to an hour runtime

Bout an hour to charge at 10 amps bout half hour at 20 amps.
evan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan03 View Post
I bet close to an hour runtime

Bout an hour to charge at 10 amps bout half hour at 20 amps.
Don't listen to this. Don't charge any LIPO battery at this high of a rate, you'd kill the battery if not cause it to puff and catch fire. Check what the manufacturer recommends for charge rate and use that.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

^^ lol so how long will it really take to charge the second lipo i posted? Also how long will it last?

again.. can you have too much battery for your esc? as long as i stay with 7.2v i should be okay right? i could have a 400c the esc doesnt care. thats how i understand it but please correct me if im wrong
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake22 View Post
so how long will it really take to charge the second lipo i posted?

With a 'budget' (50w) charger, the most you'll get for output is around 5.95 amps. With doing a 1C charge rate of 5 amps, it'll be between an hour five, and an hour & fifteen minutes.

Also how long will it last?

Too long, IMO. That's a really heavy battery, I'm guessing it gets mounted pretty high up in that chassis, that thing's going to have a noticeable effect on handling. And with lugging around that much weight for the silly-long run times you're looking for, heat issues could very well plague those RTR electronics. A 2200mAh battery would be close to half the weight of that brick, still give more run time than you're getting now, and provide you with a reason to occasionally shut the truck off and let it cool, check condition, etc.
(Not supposed to tell beginners this, but, I charge my G-Force lipos at 2C, cuts the charge time down to @28 minutes. You will need an extremely stout charger to ever get to 2C with your chosen battery. But, a 2200mAh battery can easily be charged at 2C on even a modest budget charger. Something to think about for down the road when you've got some more experience under your belt.)

again.. can you have too much battery for your esc? as long as i stay with 7.2v i should be okay right? i could have a 400c the esc doesnt care. thats how i understand it but please correct me if im wrong

So long as that extra C doesn't weigh any more or cost any more than an adequate battery, then no, the higher numbers typically shouldn't upset anything (or at least, not that Ive ever seen).
Might want to weigh your batteries that you've been using in that crawler and make sure the lipos you're looking at are close to the same weight (or preferably even lighter).
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #15

Thats weird.. i cant see the orginal post only the quote that trubble made? anyways..

After running the truck a few more times for about an 45min to an hour. I dont think i need any more run time. If i get the AC6 will it charge my current battery faster?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake22 View Post
If i get the AC6 will it charge my current battery faster?
Faster than what? Don't know what you're currently using for a charger.

IIRC, your current batts are 1800mAh? The charger you linked in your first post will charge them in about an hour (@ 1.8 amp setting). Charging at any more than that will likely damage them. So in that case, no, the AC6 won't be any faster. But if you ever go LiPo and/or get anything larger than 1800mAh, then yes, the AC6 would be faster than the one you linked.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevilman2009 View Post
i use the onyx 235 charger it dose them all with great results an comes with a bunch of adapters in the box
I have this charger and I love it. Does my LiPos and NiMH just fine and you can program up to 10 diff battery settings
Armistice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Faster than what? Don't know what you're currently using for a charger.

IIRC, your current batts are 1800mAh? The charger you linked in your first post will charge them in about an hour (@ 1.8 amp setting). Charging at any more than that will likely damage them. So in that case, no, the AC6 won't be any faster. But if you ever go LiPo and/or get anything larger than 1800mAh, then yes, the AC6 would be faster than the one you linked.
I was asking if the ac6 will charge my 1800mah faster than my stock charger that came with the truck. My current charger takes 8 hours to fully charge
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #19
Proverbial threadkiller

Oh Geez! Yes, the AC6 will have you charged up in an hour.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #20

Thnaks for helping me and sorry for all the stupid questions!

Help me choose a battery and charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery/Charger ?? NiMH's w/ NiCD Charger ? 56effie Electronics 5 10-31-2014 01:23 PM
Help trying to choose a Lipo battery craddock35 Newbie General 10 07-23-2010 05:06 PM
choose my next battery... syber70 Electronics 25 02-28-2009 06:03 PM
which tuber to choose and battery.. Daddydancool Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 03-13-2008 01:46 AM
Ultimate BATTERY THREAD How do you choose toy4crawlin Electronics 11 06-08-2007 05:22 PM