Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Winch setup questions/advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Default Winch setup questions/advice

I'm building a tow truck out of my Axial SCX10,and as far as electronics go a flyskygt3b and a 3racing winch but I was reading about a 'BEC' setup,exactly what is that,by the way. Anyway I would appreciate any input and advice about setting this thing up,thanks
318 wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #2

a bec setup is a little power source that comes from castle creations. You Cana get them at a hobby town.a they normally come in a five amp or ten amp bec. What it does is that it give you power through the battery. If you look on castle website they should show you one. What you end up doing is taking the power away from the esc so that the esc just runs the truck and the the bec will direct the power somewhere else so if you running something that need power it comes straight from the battery.Thats why also you can set the becona how much volts you wants to make it give. Hopefully this helps you and if you need anything else I can try to help you
silverside83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Castle isn't the only one who makes BECs.

A BEC is a a Battery Eliminator Circuit. Most escs have a BEC build in but more esc cannot handle the amps that are needed when you have a crazy servo or a bunch of lights or a bunch or other accessories like winches and such.

A BEC like the CC BEC or a RC4WD BEC tap power directly from the battery and feed it into the receiver through any open spot completely bypassing the ESC.

When running a BEC you will want to remove the wire on the esc connection at the receiver that feeds power back to the receiver or it will blow something.
Deerhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #4

Default Re: Winch setup questions/advice

Ok that makes sense,but is a BEC necessary, Or what?
Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

What esc are you using , Most of them wont handle two things running under a load at the same time. Like if your winching are trying to steer at the same time it will just shut down.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318 wagon View Post
OK that makes sense, but is a BEC necessary, or what?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
What ESC are you using? Most of them won't handle two things running under a load at the same time. Like if your winching are trying to steer at the same time it will just shut down.
The short answer is, "It depends".

The ESC you have is part of the question, the servo or winch is the other part.

If you have a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL, you can run a hefty (250inoz+) servo off it fine.
If you have most other ESC's, they get funky with a single ~200inoz servo let alone 2 servos.
Then you need to look for an external BEC.

If you are only running lower torque servos/winches, then you may be fine off the ESC BEC.

If you decide you may need an external BEC, then you need to decide on how to hook it up.
I prefer direct to the servo, but it's a little more work and there are several ways to do it.
If you run it to the RX, it's a little easier but it's more than "just plug it in".
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

Welp I have the stock servo and stock esc,so I'm guessin I'm going to need one..

Winch setup questions/advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
noobie looking for setup advice... crudeau Venom Creeper 2 11-10-2011 04:43 PM
steering setup advice GEARSCIENCE EnRoute Berg 8 10-05-2009 01:50 PM
My proposed total setup... need opinions and advice phunkodelic Newbie General 9 06-16-2009 07:07 PM
3racing winch setup questions... kingcobra Electronics 1 04-25-2009 02:22 PM