Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want to get into Crawling - Help me make Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Default Want to get into Crawling - Help me make Decision

Hi Guys,

I'm wanting to get into crawling, but would like some pointers before spending the bucks.

I have a few questions below. Sorry if they have already been answered somewhere in this forum. I know there's a wealth of knowledge here. So instead of typing all over again for me the newbie, a link to relevant info is also much appreciated.

I've shortlisted a few rigs but below are the questions to each.
I have a 4PL system, but wouldnt mind an RTR to get things started quickly.

1) SCX10 Jeep Rubicon RTR
- what are the must have upgrades (not cosmetics) to beef it up?
- aluminium links? - what brand and where can i get them?
- servo upgrade?

2) Dingo Kit
- what ESC and motor, best bang for bucks?
- what must have upgrades?

3) Honcho RTR
- is the tubings part of the honcho body?
- can a honcho chassis have a jeep rubicon body?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
rokie1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Want to get into Crawling - Help me make Decision

I have read and fully respect the For Sale 30/30 rules.
I'm an active member of Savage-Central and RCTech (in tradings) and 100% ebay ratings.

Just some questions here:

4) If i buy the Green Star - will i be able to trade and treated like a genuine buyer/seller instead of a newbie?
- Given i live in Australia, is the For Sale section limited only to within the USA?

5) How possible is it to find out there's anything in the marketplace that suits me now, rather than me going to Towers to buy new?
- any kind person willing to hook me up with a good buy?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
In the band for now.

starting here will answer all your questions and then some

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Axial SCX-10 at RCCrawler.com
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

Axial Wraith is what you're looking for
MississippiWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #5

thanks for the link lemonhead....would you mind taking the trouble to streamline it down for me? i.e. link me to specific threads?....
Old 07-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The chassis are all the same. Everything else is up to you.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The JK and Honcho have a 12.3 wheel base and the Dingo has a 11.4 inch wheel base. Changing the wheel base is pretty much just changing links.

Pretty minor changes requires to swap body types -- Bumper change and battery location. You could change from Dingo to JK in under 30 minutes if you had the links ready to go.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
In the band for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokie1432 View Post
thanks for the link lemonhead....would you mind taking the trouble to streamline it down for me? i.e. link me to specific threads?....
Don't really have any specific threads for you since every body has different ways to set up or accessorize. I would just start reading /researching and see what you think would work best for you.

I spent months just reading and searching before I found what would be the best route to take for my builds. (and still do)

Good Luck and welcome to the world of empty pockets
lemonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

You cant go wrong with a honcho. Its a little cheaper and you get a light kit that the jeep doesn't come with. Search DIY links. When you get it get revo rod ends with it and some extra body clips. You will want to make new links almost out of the box. Next upgrade for any scx 10 will be with stearing . You will want to diy a tie rod and drag link and add a aluminum servo horn to that list of stuff to get. From there you will find out the hard way what to get next. For me was aluminum c hubs and knuckles and a stronger servo. The stock o e works for trails but lacks power on the rocks. When u get a new servo you will need to get a BEC as well with it. Oh yea most important must have... extra 3m hardware and an assortment of leanghts
RyanRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

DON'T DO IT!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!

I started with a Wraith RTR, now have about $1200 in it.
I liked that so much I got an R1, and now have about $1000 in that one.
I liked that one so much I got a THammer, and have about $800 in that one.
I am still modding and adding and changing!!

Going to get a SCX next and make a custom build..........$$$$$$$

RUN AWAY!!!!
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadace View Post
DON'T DO IT!!!!

RUN AWAY!!!!

I started with a Wraith RTR, now have about $1200 in it.
I liked that so much I got an R1, and now have about $1000 in that one.
I liked that one so much I got a THammer, and have about $800 in that one.
I am still modding and adding and changing!!

Going to get a SCX next and make a custom build..........$$$$$$$

RUN AWAY!!!!
Two words, self control.
I too have dumped more money than I care to count into my Wraith but, I also realize my limits.
I broke the last driveshaft I had a couple weeks ago & as much as it pains me right now I cannot afford to get it running again.

Getting into crawling does not require trying to get into a penis match with people out of your league.
You can get what you want from the hobby.

I read a kid at the last Axialfest finished the G6 with a bone stock Rubicon so you can have fun & "get into crawling" with a stock RTR (tho I will admit the draw for MORE POWER & PERFORMANCE is there.)
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
RCC Addict

This is simply my opinion and only from my experience - I'm not a vender, I'm a married (limited funds) enthusiast!

Crawling and trail riding are TOTALLY different!!! The 3 vehicles you have chosen are "Trail rigs" with very limited crawling capabilities and not actual rock crawlers. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page as to what you are planning to do with your RC.

SCX10 Jeep Rubicon RTR
- what are the must have upgrades (not cosmetics) to beef it up?
- aluminium links? - what brand and where can i get them?
- servo upgrade?

If you purchase the KIT and build up, you already get aluminum shocks, steering and axle links. Upgrade the front C-hubs (on anyone you chose - axial or VP are the best fitting parts), locktite the transmission diff gears. Using the stock AXIAL ESC and 20 or 27 brushed motor will work just fine but I would recommend a motor with a removable end bell...higher quality motor. Servo upgrade - all your truck choices will be fine with the stock servo unless you add bigger wheels and wheel weights - then you will need something over 220 oz torque and an external BEC.

2) Dingo Kit
- what ESC and motor, best bang for bucks?

3) Honcho RTR
- is the tubings part of the honcho body?
- can a honcho chassis have a jeep rubicon body?

These are the same platforms - all the above comments apply except for I think the rubicon is the only one that has aluminum shocks in the kit. yes the tubing is part of the honcho body.

I own a Rubicon (wife's kit build) and a Honcho. I converted my Dingo to the Honcho and I think the Honcho is the best driving vehicle of all 3. It has a lighter weight body (keeps the center of gravity lower) so it out performs both the other 2 vehicles. I have added beadlock wheels and front wheel weight rings with 3 weight slugs to each wheel on both vehicles and the Dingo still runs the best.

If you are looking for scale and not performance, whichever looks best to you is the one you should buy.

With all that said, this is the most important think I have to say....IN MY OPINION, Building your first RC car is 1) the most informative way to learn your car, 2) the most rewarding experience, knowing you did it alone (or with your family), 3) the most exciting part about the RC hobby! Buy a kit and build it the way YOU want it!

Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

Last edited by redsawacs; 07-26-2013 at 11:11 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Thanks alot guys for all the helpful info...

@RyanRay - thanks ryan...tbh, i was almost set on the JK until you mention abt the honcho....hahaha...got me thinking back again...

@redsawacs - thanks manz...u spelt out alot that i needed to know.....there's so much to absorb...
so, is the Dingo or the Honcho that you think is the best to drive?

I'm not new to RC....nor am i new to building a kit......I've always been in the Monster Truck class of RC...but now hoping to try out something "slower"...and the scaler trail rigs seem to fit in......but making a decision on a kit version or RTR seems a headache....i'm not quite sure what sort of power house is required of the kit version....
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #14

Now, i'm leaning more towards the JK kit or RTR version.....would any of you gurus please point out some of the main differences in these 2 version?

Basically i would like to know:
1) What is it that the Kit has that the RTR does not?
2) To bring the RTR "beefiness" to the same level as the kit, what are the rough itemised cost?
Old 07-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

the ready to runs r almost exactly the same but the honcho has plastic shocks the jk has metal shocks. the honcho will crawl and trail very well out of the box. either one is a good choice personally i don't like jeeps so i would not buy the jk it just comes down to what you like if you do the kit you have to buy everything to make it run get the rtr and up grade as needed that's what i did. my next one will be the kit simply because i have all the parts to upgrade it already.
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Talking Re: Want to get into Crawling - Help me make Decision

Upgrades for a scx10 are easy go eBay and replace all your plastic parts with metal ones except the axle casings u won't notice anything different from plastic to metal or just get some rc4wd metal yota axles but do that and u will have a durable beefy truck and replace the motor esc with either Holmes hobbies or tekin imo and replace the servo with something 275oz/in torque or better so u can actually turn plan on having your wallet and bank account empty welcome to rc crawling lol
ssdub33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #17

Stay away from the hobby! Lol it's worse the herion!
NormanAbsher is offline   Reply With Quote

Want to get into Crawling - Help me make Decision - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have to make decision FlexJohnson Newbie General 16 01-10-2012 01:44 PM
need some advice and help me make a decision Kahoko Newbie General 4 06-23-2011 12:19 PM
Make your scaler the night crawling king!!! losikid General Scale Talk 8 05-07-2011 07:59 PM
Losi MRC Indoor Crawling League - Rule Decision schmenzer Wisconsin 9 10-09-2008 11:12 AM