Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing or motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Gearing or motor?

New to the Trail/rock crawling world. I still haven't driven my new SCX10 Honcho as of yet but was wondering if someone may could help me...As with most things guys do they want more power from it if it can be done.

Im aware that a higher turn Motor will create more torque but how much do I really need?...Whats going through my mind is do I want to keep the stock motor and re gear or do I want a more powerful motor and leave the stock gearing..But for conversations sake, Suppose I decide I wanted to keep my stock motor: What would a good ring and pinion set be to maximize my stock motors torque?

Now assuming I wanted a more powerful motor: do I want a 35t or a 45t or a 55t?

If these were your options what would you do?

35T with stock gearing?
45T with stock gearing?
55T with stock gearing?
Stock 27T with gear change?
Better motor with gearing as well?

I would be using 5000mah 2s lipo for power using the stock electronics.
The rest of the truck is 100% stock as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gearing or motor?

I would start out by changing the gearing on the stock motor to by using a 16t pinion. This will help make your motor last longer.

I would see how it goes with how you are using your Honcho and if you are happy with it.
If not and you do mostly crawling then I would think about a 35t motor.

I you have lots of $$$$ to play with. A MMP ESC with a Tekin Roc 412 3100 is great a crawling and has more top end speed than you need in a Honcho. It also takes a lot of $$$$ to replace/upgrade the parts you break
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Regardless of what motor you use it will be boring on 2s. If you want more power volt up and gear down!
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels_world View Post
Regardless of what motor you use it will be boring on 2s. If you want more power volt up and gear down!

Does the stock ESC support a 3S battery?. and as far as gearing what would you suggest on a stock truck using a 3s for power and not overheat the motor?

Last edited by 6sharky9; 08-09-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
I would start out by changing the gearing on the stock motor to by using a 16t pinion. This will help make your motor last longer.

I would see how it goes with how you are using your Honcho and if you are happy with it.
If not and you do mostly crawling then I would think about a 35t motor.

I you have lots of $$$$ to play with. A MMP ESC with a Tekin Roc 412 3100 is great a crawling and has more top end speed than you need in a Honcho. It also takes a lot of $$$$ to replace/upgrade the parts you break
For now I need to stay with the stock ESC..I don't plan anything very demanding of the truck; would just like to maximize what it comes with power wise with gearing and if a better motor would help also then do that as well to maximize it..I don't really care much for speed with the truck..Want to gear it at its limit I suppose for the torque and not over heat the motor..Ill try a 16t motor pinion like you suggested and see how it does..Thanks for your help
Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Does the stock ESC support a 3S battery?...As I play with it and get bored with its power I may try a better ESC and motor and play with gearing and more voltage...Im thinking with this being my first truck it should be fun on a newbie level for now,Just wanting a little more than stock or to maximize what it already has..I understand the more voltage route but at this time its not going to be an option..So with you in my shoes would you gear down or change the motor or both to get alittle more out of it?..Thanks guys
If you add an external bec the stock esc will handle 3s without issue. If I was you I would put a cc bec on it, gear down a few teeth and run 3s.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

my sons 15 and runs a 35t with a 14t pinion on 2s and doesn't get bored, but the more wheel speed depends on what your personal preferences are.
mudhog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
... Im aware that a higher turn Motor will create more torque but how much do I really need?
... Now assuming I wanted a more powerful motor: do I want a 35t or a 45t or a 55t?
First you need to realise that you're mixing up two properties: POWER and TORQUE.

For motors power is the product of torque and speed. Power is what's needed to run the truck fast.
More winds give you more torque (and efficiency) but less power, so the stock 27T motor is more powerful than a similar 35+T motor!
Switching to a stronger motor (with more torque) will give you a slower truck, but it will behave better at very low speed.

If you want more torque at the wheels and don't mind a reduced top speed you can gear down or replace the motor.
If you also want the top speed to stay the same or go up the best choice is to get a higher wind motor and increase the battery voltage.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

35 turn on 3s to me is fun but I would love to upgrade just no cash right now. I used a 27 turn on 3s but it seemed to struggle on my course and goin to the 35 didn't loose to much time on lap times on my mini koh course. That's with a 56 tooth spur and 11 t pinion. ( supershafty.com conversion slipper set up)
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #10

I run a 35t with the stock gearing and a 6 cell nimh. it goes about as fast as a fast walk which is a little slow but is about all I need for trailing.
lodger is offline   Reply With Quote

Gearing or motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC-01 motor and gearing Vicious-peanut Tamiya XC/CC01 4 07-24-2013 06:43 AM
20t motor and 45t motor gearing question? rcstrike Newbie General 1 11-16-2011 03:40 PM
Motor and gearing? Bestdallasfan6 Newbie General 2 07-30-2008 06:55 PM
motor gearing grizz Electronics 2 02-26-2008 04:41 PM
Motor Gearing crawler nate 66 Electronics 0 01-28-2008 05:22 PM