Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to electric R/C build help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New to electric R/C build help

I am new to the Electric RC world. I really like the ease of tuning. I know you can get technical with this as well, which i plan on as soon as i get my feet wet and do some more research.

So on to my "Build"

I have purchased NOTHING yet. I want to make sure i get the right motor, esc, battery, bec... before i start my build.

My base will be the Axial scx-10 Wrangler G6.

My objective is to have a rig that can "bash" when i want it to, and i can still crawl and climb when i want to as well. i am NOT planning on doing Comps. I do NOT want this to be a $1000 rig right off the bat.

I have seen people put their ESC's inside water tight boxes (i feel this isnt the best idea as of overheating) What are your thoughts on Water proof ESC's?

Traxxas TQi 4 Channel Radio w 5 Channel RX TRA6508 | eBay I was thinking about running this for my controller/receiver.
my add-ons that i want include but not limited to, DIG tranny, lights, winch on front bumper, and maybe one on back bumper as well. These add-ons may be a ways down the road. trying to not get ahead of myself. Just want to make a nice base that i can build off of.

TowerHobbies.com | Tekin FX-R ESC/35T Crawler Motor Combo Motor/esc
^^^ This is kind of what i have been leaning towards but i am not exactly sure what the "TURN" means in regard to the motors. To my understanding the lower 'T' motors will get you moving faster but with less torque. please correct me if im wrong.

For battery i THINK 2 cell LiPo with 4000mah would suffice for my needs (again please correct me if i am completely wrong) I have seen that the battery placement on this stock rig (scx10 wrangler G6) is too high, what do you suggest to correct this issue?

and of course when something breaks, it will be upgraded from plastic to aluminium. I think this ( Axial SCX 3 Link / CMS / Panhard Conversion Kit for Stock 12.3 WB ) would be GREAT, but the Wrangler G6 has the slightly shorter wheelbase.

SERVO's!!!! cant forget the Steering. im stuck. i dont want to drop a hundred bucks on a servo, but i also dont want so cheapy plastic/china metal gear cr@p. what is proven and reliable?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. Hopefully i can join yall out on the trails with my budget blog build.
355C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the addiction, I can't answer all your questions but I'll help best I can. The motor turns I have no clue all I know the high the turn the slower more torque the motor has, I run a 35t. With fxr. use the search bar to help answer a lot of your questions, lots of ways to water proof anything or at least water repel. That battery should be fine, the radio will work( could be simpler cheaper ones) the one item I don't skimp on (personally) its the servo I prefer 300oz + just seem to hold up better and I believe savox have water proof ones. Hope this helps remember the search bar and lots of reading can help allot! :thumbup:

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New to electric R/C build help

thanks i appreciate the help. With a servo running 300+oz, i would deffinently have to run a bec right?

I have been doin a lot of creepin on here, looking for awnsers to questions that i am not even sure are the right ones to ask, lol.

What kind of top speed do you see out of your 35T with the FXR?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355C View Post

For battery i THINK 2 cell LiPo with 4000mah would suffice for my needs (again please correct me if i am completely wrong) I have seen that the battery placement on this stock rig (scx10 wrangler G6) is too high, what do you suggest to correct this issue?
I'm not a big fan of one large battery for a couple of reasons. One, you have already pointed out. A single large battery is more difficult to locate to a lower position. Long runtimes are great, but a battery change takes less than a minute. I like 1,300's since they are a good compromise between size and run time...I can get about 40 minutes.

The second thing I don't like when you have just one big battery, is if something goes wrong with it. I bring several smaller batteries with me, and if something goes wrong with one, I can still get some driving in instead of packing up and going home.

Just a few things to think about.

And welcome to RCC
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

right on, thanks... nice food for thought. what motor do you run? Are you strickly crawling or bashing too?

Well, didnt take long for a thread update...

I am now the owner of an Axial SCX-10 Wrangler G-6.

i believe (from the person ordered from) included a 3000Nimh battery pack... cannot remember exactly. Will trry to find out.

Edit: It is a 6 cell 7.2V 3000maH battery pack. I want to go bigger, but hey, it is free

ALSO UPDATE... Got a Savox High torque servo, also a Turnigy 3A 5V/6V BEC, with Tekin FX-R ESC Crawler Combo 35T Pro Motor. I am excited...

After some searching. i am not really sure where i stand on the transmitter and receiver. I know i want i 6 ch rec. but not entirely sure on what receiver to get exactly OR with what remote... Again, i am trying to keep this under a reasonable budget.

Thanks, -Tim

Last edited by THX_138; 01-17-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bec. Is a must Yes. 35t on 2s. Is about a jogging pace.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
racin707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
After some searching, I am not really sure where I stand on the transmitter and receiver. I know I want a 6 ch rec. but not entirely sure on what receiver to get exactly OR with what remote... Again, I am trying to keep this under a reasonable budget.

Thanks, -Tim
BEC is highly recommended for servos of ~200inoz+. Not sure the Turnigy you got is enough. Savox tends to be power hungry compared to other servos of similar torque rating.

Batteries, NiMH/NiCD are going to be big & heavy. At some point, you WILL want to go to LiPO.

As to radio, you tend to get the TX & RX together. For 6 channel, you either have limited choices or spend a lot.
I can recommend a hacked GT3B or GT3C (for up to 8 channels), look at OverkillRC in my sig to find out more.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
After some searching. i am not really sure where i stand on the transmitter and receiver. I know i want i 6 ch rec.
Thanks, -Tim
Why do you want a SIX CHANNEL RECIEVER?????
I get by with 2 and 3 gets me wondering what I should do with my last channel.
Anyway, if you must have 6 channels I get a Spektrum DX6i but if you decide to drop it down to at least 3 channels then get a Spektrum DX3R. Once you're down below 4 channels with Spektrum, you can by fully waterproof (aftermarket) receivers.
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

i know it might be a little overkill and i may not use all six, but here is what i was thinking
1: throttle
2: steering
3: Winch
4: DIG
5: multispeed tranny
6: lights

there are easy and effective ways to water proof something small like that, for probably around 25cents. Put your receiver inside a balloon, zip tie the neck with the wires coming out, fill in the rest of the neck with grease and then zip tie the end of the balloon shut. not the prettiest, but like i said waterproof for 25 cents.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i know it might be a little overkill and i may not use all six, but here is what i was thinking
1: throttle
2: steering
3: Winch
4: DIG
5: multispeed tranny
6: lights

there are easy and effective ways to water proof something small like that, for probably around 25cents. Put your receiver inside a balloon, zip tie the neck with the wires coming out, fill in the rest of the neck with grease and then zip tie the end of the balloon shut. not the prettiest, but like i said waterproof for 25 cents.
Wow, that's a lot of stuff you want. As long as I'm not paying for it, go ahead .

I know about the balloon trick but if something DOES happen to go wrong, you don't have as much of a comeback when you ask for a replacement. If you're happy to throw away the warranty, then go ahead. I just thought you might want to keep your warranty. The other way you could go it to put the receiver in a W/P box. Ofna, HPI, Duratrax, Axial and quite a few other brands sell them or you can just use something like a Tupperware box (which you'll also know about!).

Anyway, I reckon you could get by with a four channel radio. You could probably drop the channels for your winch and lights. Integy make light controllers which you could put on a keyring along with a wireless winch controller like the ones you get with an RC4WD Bulldog 9300XT Wireless winch. Then, before you hit the trails you'd just need to take your keyring with you.

If you decided to go that way, I'd buy a Spektrum DX4R or if you're rich enough (or obsessed enough!) a Skeptrum DX4S or Futaba 4PKS-R.
If you decide you still want a 6 channel, I'd buy (like I've already said) a Skektrum DX6i.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Haha, yeah I know it is a bit much especially just starting up, but I like the aircraft controller. I can set the throttle to a certain speed and it stays there.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Then a Spektrum DX6i would probably be your best bet
Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

IMHO, you don't need to run DIG and a multi-speed transmission. It probably can and has been done, but most people pick one or the other.

For the sake of the example, change #4 or #5 out for more lights or a rear winch.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Since I am not as into the crawling as goin around bashing, I might do a multispeed tranny and a rear winch. But that is all down the road for now...

Thanks again everyone for the help and opinions... This is may be the best forum I have joined

Last edited by THX_138; 01-17-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

May have been the best forum you've joined......???

Don't you mean it IS the best forum you've joined???
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do NOT want this to be a $1000 rig right off the bat
Yeah good luck with that once you have it in front of you.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have seen that the battery placement on this stock rig (scx10 wrangler G6) is too high, what do you suggest to correct this issue?
I bought this electronics plate off of ebay, but you could make your own. Those are 4s lipo's...can't get them any lower than that.

Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Yeah good luck with that once you have it in front of you.

HAha, yeah. i realize that now. but i guess it is better to start with a good rig then build off a crappy platform. i am just trying to regulate myself by not upgrading anything just yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrilloThrillo110 View Post
May have been the best forum you've joined......???

Don't you mean it IS the best forum you've joined???

yeah you are right. i am also on a couple other Forums right now and man do they bash on the newbs...

so almost got my rig together... a bit of a tip for other newbs glueing tires for the first or maybe even second time... start with the INSIDE of the tire. you have 4 chances to improve and mess up before doing the visible side of the rim.

secondly... does anyone know the the Texin FX-R ESC has a BEC built in? I was going to run an external BEC and was wondering how to set up the ESC and SBEC.

This is the SBEC i am running. i know how to wire everything up, i just dont want to fry anything cause i am running double BEC and didnt set it up right.
Turnigy 3A 5V/6V BEC Voltage Regulator 2-10s Lipo Input (8-40v) with NEW Tekin FX-R ESC Crawler Combo 35T Pro Motor
with Turnigy Lipo 2S 5000mAh 20-30C Battery...

Last edited by THX_138; 01-17-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So, almost got my rig together... a bit of a tip for other newbs gluing tires for the first or maybe even second time... start with the INSIDE of the tire. you have 4 chances to improve and mess up before doing the visible side of the rim.

secondly... does anyone know the the Tekin FX-R ESC has a BEC built in? I was going to run an external BEC and was wondering how to set up the ESC and SBEC.

This is the SBEC I am running. I know how to wire everything up, I just don't want to fry anything because I am running double BEC and didn't set it up right.
Turnigy 3A 5V/6V BEC Voltage Regulator 2-10s LiPO Input (8-40v) with NEW Tekin FX-R ESC Crawler Combo 35T Pro Motor
with Turnigy LiPO 2S 5000mAh 20-30C Battery...
Almost ALL ESC's today have an internal BEC, this is used for powering the RX as well as smaller/lower torque servos.
The issue comes in if you get to/exceed ~200inoz output on the servo, then most internal BEC's are underpowered. This is where a decent (Castle 10A external BEC) comes in.
If you wire your BEC to the RX, remove the red ESC to RX wire so you don't have 2 BEC's powering the RX.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 12-31-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Got My rig finished... I will have to get a couple pics of it. This being my first lexan paint job i did not do anything fancy with the paint. Now i kind of wish i would have gotten some black for the fenders and the 'interior' of the rig. I went with a translucent orange with a metalic silver base. It turned out pretty decent minus a couple of runs in the paint from me being impatient.

well, here is the Newbie in me coming out, cant figure out how the h3ll to post pics... is this again where you need to be a supporting memeber to have this privilege?

Not that i am against supporting the site, but there are more ad's on this site and vendors than any other forum i am on. Just sayin :-/

Last edited by THX_138; 01-17-2014 at 08:39 AM.

New to electric R/C build help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Lawn mower build Bluebox 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 21 11-23-2013 12:27 AM
HPI Weely King Crawler Build! Gas To Electric! NFA Fabrication HPI Wheely King 24 08-22-2011 02:12 PM
Fast electric boat build brushlessemaxx Non Crawler RC's 0 10-10-2010 03:08 PM
Hand Made Lincoln Electric Tuber Build - StampedeProject stampedeproject Axial AX-10 Scorpion 58 02-16-2009 10:47 AM
Yet another Electric X diesel72 XTM Crawler 3 07-02-2006 10:53 AM