Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie intro with a few questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Default Newbie intro with a few questions.

Hey, I do custom airbrush and pin stripe work along with my everyday painting. Recently have painted a few of these bodies ans thinking about adding this to things my son and i do together. So my questions are scale? Which scale is best to start with? My local shop recommended a losi nightcrawler? Like stated i have never tried rc stuff so no brand knowledge or not opposed to trying anything.. Looked on amazon and found a few things but really dont know what i am looking at. Also yes i have been reading the forum and getting a lot of good info. But basically i am looking for a budget starter rig that i can upgrade or fix as breaks happen?
Thanks for advice on all models.
Rob
straydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #2

Default Re: Newbie intro with a few questions.

Guess i should mention that its just going to be used for crawling indoors and yard stuff.
Also not sure if i need to gi with a 1/10 size or maybe a 1/16? There are no comps but lits of great terrain in my area.
Thanks again
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

IMO, 1/10 is the perfect size. Have no experience with the nightcrawler, I'm an Axial guy.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Well after a lot of reading as I am completely new to RC. Plus a little help from some great people here. I am know thinking I am leaning toward a Deadbolt. Now I cant decide between the scx or ax version?? Ideas or suggestion? Again I will probably be using it more for crawling and just a little trail stuff.. It m first RC and I need it to not lead to me wanting to update to whole new machine within a month, lol.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #5

Well after a lot of reading as I am completely new to RC. Plus a little help from some great people here. I am know thinking I am leaning toward a Deadbolt. Now I cant decide between the scx or ax version?? Ideas or suggestion? Again I will probably be using it more for crawling and just a little trail stuff.. It m first RC and I need it to not lead to me wanting to update to whole new machine within a month, lol.
Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Well, knowing how addictive this becomes... I'd suggest the SCX10.
It can be run in comps as is, a lot of local people will have them so you can be evenly matched with other people if you decided to go to get together's and trail runs.
And they are very versatile...
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'll second that! SCX10
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'll third that! SCX10
BLKXJ 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #9

Ok on the scx10s are any of the rtr models more suited to crawling out of the box? On used is there anything to look for?
Thanks guys
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

All of the SCx10's crawl pretty well out of the box. I would upgrade steering and suspension links right away, but other than that I would upgrade as things break if you don't have money right away. The Deadbolt is the cheapest but it has a better steering servo, newer style drive shafts and an esc that handles up to 3's lipo batteries. Some will argue the new esc is junk, but opinions very and mine is holding up nicely. The G6 Falken has all these and has sweet looking tires on it too, but is a little more. Either way, you can't loose.
mncrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #11

Thanks guys! After talking to my son. He confirmed that the building will be a huge part of the fun and make for us some great hang out bonding time. So thinking we will be looking for a couple of chassis/rollers that maybe just need electonics, motor, servo, wheels tires.. So what is a fair price for something like that?
Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=straydawg basically i am looking for a budget starter rig that i can upgrade or fix as breaks happen?
Thanks for advice on all models.
Rob[/QUOTE]

I got my Pangolin for $115 brand new in the box and it is a fun crawler if thats what your looking for, I will tell you right off though you will need metal locker for the front and rear diff to have any prolonged fun as it WILL twist the stock nylons to bits, but only a $21 upgrade at my local shop. Also it came with a early 1950's pickup body that would look good with an aftermarket paint job. All and all I am only about $130 in including a 18 pack of good energizers for the controller. Plus as far as building goes even as a RTR model goes I tear it completely down and check everything out before hand / tinkering, improving and building parts = fun.

Last edited by RockBiter; 07-27-2014 at 11:19 PM.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #13

Also a newb here, this is my first post. I also received a recommendation for the Night Crawler. The LHS "guy" (active comp crawler himself) spoke very highly of the SCX10 as the more versatile platform. However, his opinion was that if you're looking for a dedicated crawler the Night Crawler got you more performance for the dollar, even with upgrades. He'd be happy to sell me either one. But then, the responses here seem overwhelmingly in favor of the SCX10.

No experience with either at this point, just relaying advice I received this evening as someone in the same situation.
randytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #14

Thanks Randy, that is the same advice I got from 2 of our LHS. So I just won a Night Crawler on ebay and am anxiously awaiting delivery. I know some would have just purchased new. But this one comes with everything including original box plus 2 batteries and a charger. So I can run it right off and go from there.
Needless to say i already have a list of servos, and upgrade parts on my watch list, lol as i love to tinker. My son has decided he wants a 2wd short course truck. So the crawler will just be my thing for now.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Well my Night Crawler came in yesterday and yep I am hooked. I can see I do need to do a few things to lower the center of gravity. But for what I wanted I am totally happy.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #16

Cool

I actually nabbed a used Night Crawler off the Bay myself. Supposed to be a runner but for a questionable ESC. I expect it needs some TLC but I got for less then the bare rolling chassis' I was looking at. Can't wait to tear into it.
randytwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie intro with a few questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie intro and 3 questions Maxx_Savage Newbie General 3 07-31-2014 09:20 PM
newbie intro 2.2crawler Newbie General 0 04-22-2012 01:06 PM
Newbie Lurker with some questions and a short intro. MAD MAC Team Losi Comp Crawler 3 05-05-2011 05:52 PM
Newbie Lurker with some questions and a short intro. MAD MAC General Crawlers 2 05-01-2011 11:22 AM
rmb2485's newbie intro rmb2485 Newbie General 7 07-13-2009 05:54 PM