Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

Ok just ordered 1.9xls new metal horn and installed them today, went out to a course we do. Wasn't impressed with the tires, seemed like I lost power. Made it about half way though the course we usually do, and it started acting like the battery was diying. Thought well this sucks those tires drained my battery. I thought there is no way it drained that fast. I hit the throttle a couple more times and it would go for about 3 ft then stop. Then it woul have no throttle and only steer. I swapped my wife's battery into my deadbolt and still had steering and lurched forward a few times but then would stop. When we got home, I tested the motor, and the motor spun fine. Did I somehow burn up the esc?
Jmccallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
waw
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccallie View Post
Ok just ordered 1.9xls new metal horn and installed them today, went out to a course we do. Wasn't impressed with the tires, seemed like I lost power. Made it about half way though the course we usually do, and it started acting like the battery was diying. Thought well this sucks those tires drained my battery. I thought there is no way it drained that fast. I hit the throttle a couple more times and it would go for about 3 ft then stop. Then it woul have no throttle and only steer. I swapped my wife's battery into my deadbolt and still had steering and lurched forward a few times but then would stop. When we got home, I tested the motor, and the motor spun fine. Did I somehow burn up the esc?
I had that kind of trouble.. it was the old lipo I had, even though it still has the voltage way above the low point.. it does that.. goes for a few metres then when I punch the throttle it went dead, try it again a couple of seconds.. it runs..

switch to my younger lipo, it solves the dead on track thing.. I guess I didn't properly charge & used the old ones.. or may be it was just time for me to get another lipo set

but, try swithcing out you old ESC to a spare if you have one.. just to make sure it's the ESC's fault
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Both batteries are fairly new, the wife and I both have Lipo reaction 5000 mah, maybe a month old with 15 charges on it. I have a dynamite prophet sport Lipo charger ratted at 3a. I. Plug in the charger turn it up to 3a then plug in battery. When beeps fully charged, I hold the stop button and remove battery. I swapped her battery into my truck but it still did the same thing?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Did you over tighten your wheels and cause binding? That could case what your described. Just a thought
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Did you over tighten your wheels and cause binding? That could case what your described. Just a thought
I just loosened them up, still same thing. The esc beeped this time and throttled for about 5 seconds then stopped and esc started blinking red again.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:27 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I'd try two more things. One, make sure the lipos are good. Based on description, it's unlikely they're bad, but make sure they power a different vehicle. Next, use Axials steps to program the ESC. Maybe something internally went haywire (Axial Racing - Axial AE-2 ESC Set-up and Programming). If neither of those things work, it really could be the ESC. If there was binding or something causing drag, the ESC could have overheated.
iihuntyii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by iihuntyii View Post
I'd try two more things. One, make sure the lipos are good. Based on description, it's unlikely they're bad, but make sure they power a different vehicle. Next, use Axials steps to program the ESC. Maybe something internally went haywire (Axial Racing - Axial AE-2 ESC Set-up and Programming). If neither of those things work, it really could be the ESC. If there was binding or something causing drag, the ESC could have overheated.
Thanks, will give it a try. I got new bead lock rims and they hit the knuckle pretty bad. I did not drive it like that, but I did order new wider hex nuts. I also got Philips head screws to give me a little more clearance on the back side of the rim. Even with the wider hex nut and screws I still hit the heads of the screw a tiny bit. Took a file and filed the knuckle down to what I thought was enough clearance... I really don't think the rim hits any more but now you have me nervous, maybe it was doing it unde load or flexed out...?
Old 04-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I can't get the esc to recalibrate. The throttle trim is all the way down. I turn on reciver, hold full throttle, turn on esc it beeps twice then immediately the esc just blinks red. No more beeps, until I let of throttle. Then it will beep once and red light goes off. I then have throttle again.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

I'm kinda having the same problem with my AX10 deadbolt, but I think it has the same esc as the sx10 deadbolts, but o ly difference is when I turn mine on, I only get steering control no throttle. And now, can't even re program the esc. My son's sx10 deadbolt has no problems at all, and he bashes it into everything..lol he's o ly 6yrs old.
PNW-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Call hobby Co and speak with tec support
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I'd just swap out the esc sounds like some issues I've had in the past with the esc. Stock axial esc is only 40ish bucks so not to bad.
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #12

Tried to re-bind the receiver? Could be an issue on that side?
inertia is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 deadbolt, steering but no throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help. Throttle controlling throttle and steering andneverexhale Electronics 6 08-21-2014 07:46 PM
Steering no throttle moejean Axial SCX-10 9 03-31-2013 12:33 AM
Steering but no throttle 2JSC Electronics 16 05-09-2010 12:18 AM
Steering induced throttle- mckenzies Electronics 6 05-06-2010 09:41 AM