Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which winch works best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Default Which winch works best?

Hey all. Just had a couple questions on winches with my rtr receiver. I did want the rc4wd warn winch but didn't know if I could program my controller to operate the winch or do I have to buy a separate controller of some sort. Or could I go with the 3racing winch but couldn't really find any specs on it as to what It is able to handle and if it can work off my third channel on the ttx300. Any thoughts or advice on which route to take would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
jcavan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which winch works best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavan10 View Post
Hey all. Just had a couple questions on winches with my rtr receiver. I did want the rc4wd warn winch but didn't know if I could program my controller to operate the winch or do I have to buy a separate controller of some sort. Or could I go with the 3racing winch but couldn't really find any specs on it as to what It is able to handle and if it can work off my third channel on the ttx300. Any thoughts or advice on which route to take would be much appreciated.

If you have a 3rd channel, any winch can work. The winch is just a motor and gearbox, the winch controller is an ESC that will run off your 3rd channel. Does your radio have a 3-position switch on the 3rd channel? You'll need that so you have in/out/stop.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Check out HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place). He's got winch controllers that will work from a two or three position third channel.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:

My servo winch makes my sons 3racing winch look like a little girl.

Using the ttx300 will result in the winch coming on every time the receiver is turned on. It is kind of a PIA but you get used to it. I'm using a old servo controller for the 3racing winch.

The servo winch uses a heyok controller for a two position switch and works like a charm.

Against heyok's explicit recommendations, advice and instructions it is holding up nicely on a 7.4v BEC. I have come to accept if it fails it is my fault, but it is fuse protected and I have yet to burn up a fuse.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
If you have a 3rd channel, any winch can work. The winch is just a motor and gearbox, the winch controller is an ESC that will run off your 3rd channel. Does your radio have a 3-position switch on the 3rd channel? You'll need that so you have in/out/stop.
It does have a multi position 3rd channel. Just saw when u go to buy a winch there's always controllers or the heyok servo to winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post

Using the ttx300 will result in the winch coming on every time the receiver is turned on. It is kind of a PIA but you get used to it. I'm using a old servo controller for the 3racing winch.

The servo winch uses a heyok controller for a two position switch and works like a charm.

Against heyok's explicit recommendations, advice and instructions it is holding up nicely on a 7.4v BEC. I have come to accept if it fails it is my fault, but it is fuse protected and I have yet to burn up a fuse.
With using a servo as a winch do u need the heyok controller with the ttx300. I don't want to spend to much. I live in Ontario Canada and if I just go for a 3racing winch it's fairly cheap. But if I need a heyok controller plus servo I gotta order through us dollars which hurts the wallet.

Last edited by THX_138; 05-17-2016 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Merge, posts a minute apart
Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Just so you know, if you get in touch with heyok, he can ship directly to you. He lives in Vancouver Canada.
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
With using a servo as a winch do u need the heyok controller with the ttx300. I don't want to spend to much. I live in Ontario Canada and if I just go for a 3racing winch it's fairly cheap. But if I need a heyok controller plus servo I gotta order through us dollars which hurts the wallet.

The ttx300 lets you control the servo positions, and with out any stops it will just keep rolling in or out. Check out some of the servo winch videos on youtube, that should get you set up right.

I got the heyok controller because my truck uses a 2 position switch, so I had no other options. I am very happy with it and 417oz servo.

I have to say that using the winch off the BEC provided with the stock Deadbolt receiver is pretty wimpy. It does work but it is slow and it really sounds like it is struggling.

If money is an issue you could just get one of those cheap tower clones from ebay. Use two of the round servo horns, and put a spacer between them with some epoxy. The just add a longer screw to secure it, assuming you pull the stoppers out of the servo gear. For $4-6 you have a usable winch until you can get your self squared away for something a little better.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 03-28-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
Just so you know, if you get in touch with heyok, he can ship directly to you. He lives in Vancouver Canada.
Yes I know he is Canadian. But he still charges in us Cuz that's where he gets his stuff from was already thinking that route.

Quote:
The ttx300 lets you control the servo positions, and with out any stops it will just keep rolling in or out. Check out some of the servo winch videos on youtube, that should get you set up right.

I got the heyok controller because my truck uses a 2 position switch, so I had no other options. I am very happy with it and 417oz servo.

I have to say that using the winch off the BEC provided with the stock Deadbolt receiver is pretty wimpy. It does work but it is slow and it really sounds like it is struggling.

If money is an issue you could just get one of those cheap tower clones from ebay. Use two of the round servo horns, and put a spacer between them with some epoxy. The just add a longer screw to secure it, assuming you pull the stoppers out of the servo gear. For $4-6 you have a usable winch until you can get your self squared away for something a little better.
So what your telling me is there's no way of doing a servo winch with the ttx300 without using heyok controller or something similar? If that is the case then I might just go with the 3racing winch. I do already have a cc bec on order to power my steering servo and future winch. But in the long run if the winch craps out I'll prolly go with a servo winch.
Thanks for all the great feedback

Last edited by THX_138; 05-17-2016 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Ditto
Old 03-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Everything is relative.
My Quicksand winch with a Tekin B1R on 4S for a controller will make your servo winch look like a little girl.
House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:30 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Check out some of the servo winch videos on youtube, that should get you set up right.
If you search you will find many people making winch controllers out of the guts from a servo, or just taking a servo and making it into a servo winch.

You will also find lots of information on the TTX300 3rd channel. I literally received the kids deadbolt on 3/19 and by 3/19 plus 4 hours found tons of forum post, found an old servo in the basement, solder the winch to the output of the servo, read the programing instructions and mounted the winch to the bumper. If I knew what I was doing it would have taken 15 minutes.

Reading the programing instructions took the longest. I was going nuts trying to get it programmed so that when the transmitter is turned on the winch wouldn't move. Turns out that's how it is and there is nothing that can be done about it. So I cut the lead and installed an on off switch so my kid cant bind the winch up or rats nest it when he turned the transmitter on.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
If you search you will find many people making winch controllers out of the guts from a servo, or just taking a servo and making it into a servo winch.

You will also find lots of information on the TTX300 3rd channel. I literally received the kids deadbolt on 3/19 and by 3/19 plus 4 hours found tons of forum post, found an old servo in the basement, solder the winch to the output of the servo, read the programing instructions and mounted the winch to the bumper. If I knew what I was doing it would have taken 15 minutes.

Reading the programing instructions took the longest. I was going nuts trying to get it programmed so that when the transmitter is turned on the winch wouldn't move. Turns out that's how it is and there is nothing that can be done about it. So I cut the lead and installed an on off switch so my kid cant bind the winch up or rats nest it when he turned the transmitter on.
Alright, sounds like I might have to do some more searching then because that is the route I would rather take. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Time to post this!
Another servo winch building tutorial
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Using the servo controller does work, mine did for about a year on my Wraith but now it never wants to stay in the "center." I glued the potentiometer inside and it lasted, but now it floats and will start spooling in or out randomly. I planned on taking the guts out and just using an external controller. In my JK I used a B1R (our micro brushed ESC) to control a TziWorld Beefy Winch. It's worked great and is total overkill.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote

Which winch works best? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
impulse winch buy, rc4wd, custom bumper and winch pull test evan03 Axial Wraith 13 03-10-2013 09:15 PM
3racing Winch only works one way James003 Electronics 5 09-14-2010 06:20 PM
winch wiring? it works but.... 00TJ General Crawlers 3 01-19-2007 06:24 PM