Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking to get a new kit any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Default Looking to get a new kit any advice?

Hey guys first post looking at getting a new rig wanted to know what other guys like or don't like on the cars they have. The one I'm thinking of is the RC4WD Gelande II.
What I have.
HPI RS4 nitro
Ofna buggy 1/8
Traxxas slash 4x4
HPI wheely King
And last but not least Axial Wraith love this truck
Kcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Looking to get a new kit any advice?

What are you looking for really scale, capable, or high speed? The TF2 is a fun and scale build, it will challenge your driving skills very durable with the use of locktite. I've heard mixed reviews on the gelande II, mostly that they were expecting more capability from it. Scx10's are excellent rigs with some work and there is a ton of upgrades, but they are so common it is hard to make one that is unique. If your looking for a truly capable rig make a shafty or a pro and look in the ax10, xr10 or berg sections. If your looking for speed and light crawling, get a yeti. Also a very fun and tricky build is the cc01,not super capable but can look so real it is ridiculous.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezertdirt View Post
Scx10's are excellent rigs with some work and there is a ton of upgrades, but they are so common it is hard to make one that is unique.
...I'll agree with the first part but haft'a disagree with the later.

I think my SCX-10 was built fairly unique
as basic "bolt on products" are not the only way to do things.

reveiw my photobucket acct. pictures for "Axial Honcho"
what was done could be applied to most any SCX-10 chassis.

short preveiw of what can be seen...

~ Imagination is only limited by the owner and their effort made ~

Last edited by TacoCrawler; 05-22-2016 at 11:09 PM.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

My advice, FWIW… build a SCX10 based crawler from scratch.
It'll take a few short hours of research on here and on the web in general to figure out what you need and what you want.

You'll end up with a build you want and not have a box full of unused kit parts. If you take your time and research and read you'll save a bit of money as well.

Of course you'll spend what money you'll save on parts you don't actually need n he end, but at least your money will go farther than buying a kit and buying upgrades for pretty much everything in the box.

Now, if by some chance your a person that can live with stock kit parts my advice is worth zero…

My experience was, I bought a Wrangler G6 kit. I chose that kit because it came with "upgrades" to some key parts. I ended up using the trans mount, frame rails and the body. Every other part is aftermarket "upgrades".

The stock frame rails will be gone soon as will the trans mount. In the end only the body will be left from the original kit.

I was fortunate and sold most of the kit parts. If I had this to do again I'd build from scratch. In my case I would have saved about 150.00 - 200.00ish.

That would have about covered the cost of the winch I'm about to buy.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the replies if any one has anymore please give me any advice or other rigs to look at. I now have more research to do and things to look at. Also here's a pic of my rig.
Kcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

In my opinion, (take it with a grain of salt lol) you've already got the super capable rig with the Wraith, why not try something a little more scale and a little more challenging with something like a Trailfinder 2? Coming from someone who has a TF2 and Gelande 2, and someone who's built an upgraded scx10 from scratch - I'll pick my TF2 every time... I'm sure the majority would disagree, but I have an absolute ball with mine. With very minor upgrades, they can be just as capable as a scx10 - And they look real as all get-out. Like someone else said, they can be very durable as well.
Reflektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Default Looking to get a new kit any advice?

I'm with Reflektr. I started with a Wraith, followed by an SCX-10, D90, CR-01, TF2, Ascender, J2 Skeleton, etc. etc. I've come to really enjoy the challenges of driving a hard-bodied scaler (esp. one with leafs), and the TF2 and D90 are two of my favorites.

Between those two, for a first hard-bodied scaler, the TF2 is hard to beat. The body looks great and, with a little bit of work (and not a ton of money), it can be tuned to perform very well. It's also a tough little truck that doesn't need to be pampered. As compared to the TF2, the D90 comes with a full interior (the TF2 comes with a partial), but it has a noticeably higher center of gravity than the TF2 (especially if you add a roof rack) and axle housings that aren't quite as durable as the TF2 housings (though they do fine if you don't abuse them).

I put together guides for each of them here:

Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

Comprehensive Guide to the Gelande 2

Ultimately, it's easy to justify either one, so go with the one you like the most. As long as you know the pros and cons going in, you won't be disappointed.

As for the other options that have been mentioned, I'd take an Ascender over the current SCX-10 any day. It's a much better platform out of the box (hardened tranny gears, CVDs and aluminum links come standard, better plastics, smaller pumpkin, etc.). More importantly, the current SCX-10 (which has been reduced to RTR only) is about to be replaced with a new version in a few weeks, so the current one will be fading away over time. The CC01 was once available with a couple of sweet hard bodies, but the bodies are only available separately now. And the kit itself is very limited in stock form (esp. the steering), so you'll need to do some work to turn it into a reasonably capable trail rig.

Once you've had your hand at a scaler or two, the GCM platforms (like the J2 Skeleton) are terrific bases for a build. But getting some experience with one or more of the existing complete scaler platforms like the TF2, Gelande 2, Ascender, etc. will help inform a custom build down the road.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 05-24-2016 at 05:04 AM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcamp View Post
Hey guys first post looking at getting a new rig wanted to know what other guys like or don't like on the cars they have. The one I'm thinking of is the RC4WD Gelande II.
What I have.
HPI RS4 nitro
Ofna buggy 1/8
Traxxas slash 4x4
HPI wheely King
And last but not least Axial Wraith love this truck

then go with it.. have fun while you at it in the end it is you yourself who has to live with the choice you took
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #9

Kinda new here But not to crawling, but I have a Wraith and I'm constantly impressed with its capabilities. Just bought a SCX10 and I'm totally bummed. What I came to realize is that my at home course / rock pile is challenging for the wraith and nearly impossible for the SCX10. So keep in mind where u will be using it.
Jindustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I'm with Reflektr. I started with a Wraith, followed by an SCX-10, D90, CR-01, TF2, Ascender, J2 Skeleton, etc. etc. I've come to really enjoy the challenges of driving a hard-bodied scaler (esp. one with leafs), and the TF2 and D90 are two of my favorites.

Between those two, for a first hard-bodied scaler, the TF2 is hard to beat. The body looks great and, with a little bit of work (and not a ton of money), it can be tuned to perform very well. It's also a tough little truck that doesn't need to be pampered. As compared to the TF2, the D90 comes with a full interior (the TF2 comes with a partial), but it has a noticeably higher center of gravity than the TF2 (especially if you add a roof rack) and axle housings that aren't quite as durable as the TF2 housings (though they do fine if you don't abuse them).

I put together guides for each of them here:

Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

Comprehensive Guide to the Gelande 2

Ultimately, it's easy to justify either one, so go with the one you like the most. As long as you know the pros and cons going in, you won't be disappointed.
X2, Ascender or TF2 would be my pics.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #11
waw
Quarry Creeper

add a new choice to those picks..

SCX10 II >> Axial SCX10 II Kit - RC TRUCK STOP
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking to get a new kit any advice? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on kit build Ditchrat Axial SCX-10 5 12-03-2015 04:56 PM
Just bought the kit; could use your advice Angus_Beef Vaterra Twin Hammers 17 03-04-2015 05:43 PM
First kit! Might need some advice lol googs Axial Yeti 5 01-21-2015 10:55 AM
Going to purchase SCX10 Kit, need advice. Mules50 Axial SCX-10 14 02-01-2014 09:16 PM
Need some advice got my SCX10 Dingo kit natskiboy Axial SCX-10 105 05-07-2012 05:47 AM