Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Advice on kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Advice on kit build

I have a dingo (first)kit on its way to me and my son for Christmas, and have a massed a large list of potential upgrades and/or mods that I can do.

Is it better to complete the kit as the directions show first, or should I integrate the upgrade/mods into the build.

I am leaning toward going bone stock to have a baseline, then move on.

Another question is do any of you have any standardized test you use as a benchmark?

I was thinking about testing for weight distribution by setting up an incline plane with adjustable angles to see how moving parts around effects the truck. Am I just over thinking this?
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Advice on kit build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I have a dingo (first)kit on its way to me and my son for Christmas, and have a massed a large list of potential upgrades and/or mods that I can do.

Is it better to complete the kit as the directions show first, or should I integrate the upgrade/mods into the build.

I am leaning toward going bone stock to have a baseline, then move on.

Another question is do any of you have any standardized test you use as a benchmark?

I was thinking about testing for weight distribution by setting up an incline plane with adjustable angles to see how moving parts around effects the truck. Am I just over thinking this?
Personally I'd just go stock at first to get a feel for truck out the box and for how it's put together, which these do quite well. I've only ordered the link kit so far but haven't installed them yet. My plan is to just use the stock plastic links until they're wasted then I'll put them on.

The only other thing I ordered was some screws so I could move the battery up front.
NickelPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Yep, just drive it, break it, and upgrade it.

The other option is drive it, get bored, and upgrade it.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If this is your first SCX10, I would build it completely stock and see how it performs for you. Once you get to know the rig, then pick something that you want to improve about it then address only that problem.

You will learn a lot more about your rig with this approach and it will keep you interest in your rig a lot longer that a shot gun blast upgrade. Not to mention this will probably save you a bit of money since you can make informed decisions about what to buy.

Also by making one change at a time you can determine if an upgrade really helps or not. If you do a bunch of stuff all at once it makes it a lot harder to figure out what's wrong if there is a problem.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Put the battery in the front and enjoy
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Agree with what everyone else said. Its a solid truck in its stock form. There is a thread on here where a guy ran a bone stock deadbolt hooked to a GPS for 130 miles or something insane like that. No maintenance what so ever. Only thing I really see as a must do is moving the battery and putting metal steering links on. Then upgrade as you break. Save that money and get more batteries!
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advice on kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just bought the kit; could use your advice Angus_Beef Vaterra Twin Hammers 17 03-04-2015 05:43 PM
Wraith kit vs. Spawn? Advice please... J.DUKE Axial Wraith 11 02-08-2015 08:51 PM
First kit! Might need some advice lol googs Axial Yeti 5 01-21-2015 10:55 AM
Advice requested planning a budget SCX10 jeep kit build theTman Axial SCX-10 41 11-21-2014 01:14 PM
Dingo Kit - My first build. Any tips/advice? What mods are worth doing? LeadFootCaliKiid Axial SCX-10 2 01-06-2014 03:51 PM