Notices

Thread: Axial + Monster Jam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial + Monster Jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
You won't ever see him criticize Axial even if it's constructive. He is an Axial advertisement because, in his words, he has a close relationship with them.

Axial brand ambassador indeed.

I'm not saying any of the rigs are junk (except the twin hammers, it's hot fawking garbage) but it is simply disingenuous to act as if there are no issues at all.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Those clod sized tires aren't scale. In addition we would have had to raise the body or limit the travel tremendously to avoid excessive tire rub. Many other factors that others have already mentioned.

If you place the side profile of the SMT10 over the 1:1 gravedigger the major difference you will see is the wheelbase. Not everyone is a professional driver so the extended wheelbase and open diffs allows everyone to have some fun. Otherwise is dead on.

PS: The optional R35 BKT's work really well
So whens the kit?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

I'm not saying any of the rigs are junk (except the twin hammers, it's hot fawking garbage) but it is simply disingenuous to act as if there are no issues at all.
I have 3 Twin Hammers. Only issue I had with them all, was the hex stripped on the rtr version and two screws that came loose due to lack of loctite. They are now 3 and 2 years, and still no issues.

Over to the Monster Truck.

Game on Axial

AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I'm completely inexperienced with these types of monster truck RCs but I have always been very curious about them and am starting to get really drawn to the bashing and jumping fun factor of these cool trucks. I have a sincere question and I hope someone can explain this to me. What is the difference between getting one of these SMT10s for $400 or a Traxxas Skully for half that besides the obvious licensing and 4wd? Licensing doesn't need to be explained, if you love it, that's reason enough but is the rest of the truck really worth that much more? Does 4wd really make that much of a difference in fun factor and handling? These look like ham fisted, prepubescent driving style, basher trucks that get ridden hard and put away wet. Is the experience of the Axial really worth twice the price of the Traxxas? Another thought is top speed. I know the Traxxas will do 30+ out of the box, what is the Axial good for?
This truck is much more scale, solid axles, not independent, tube few chassis. Adjustable shock mounting position, driving is a little dumber then a modern truck like a tmaxx or revo,y monster wraith is fairly slow but, extremely fun fore to drive, I can drive slow and try to replicate a real monster jam type run, or really stomp on it and launch it. It doesn't carve turns like a independent suspension truck

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sure did. Have you followed the mentions of failures of production rigs? Apparently not.
Point me in the directions of these failures, I'm genuinely curious and would love to have a counterpoint to my experiences.

Quote:
You won't ever see him criticize Axial even if it's constructive. He is an Axial advertisement because, in his words, he has a close relationship with them.
I'm a very honest person when it comes to this hobby, and I'm more than happy to share my opinion and have done so many times. Not everything Axial has done has been pure gold (Exo), but I can see positives in nearly anything. Sure, Axial and I have a good relationship, but beyond that, I offer an unbiased opinion on EVERYTHING.

Quote:

I can only speak from my own experience, but sure, some folks had parts missing from the first shipment of kits. My 2.0 has been flawless and I'd recommend that truck in stock form over anything else currently on the market. Ambassador or not!
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

I've seen people mention the gritty trans issues, wobbly spur, one transfer case grenaded, notchy and binding axles requiring pinion shimming, the same old leaky shocks, and suspension binding due to the track bar hitting the servo horn. I've experienced all but one of these issues. My kit was complete.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've seen people mention the gritty trans issues, wobbly spur, one transfer case grenaded, notchy and binding axles requiring pinion shimming, the same old leaky shocks, and suspension binding due to the track bar hitting the servo horn. I've experienced all but one of these issues. My kit was complete.
Fair enough, there's always growing pains with new kits, from any manufacturer. I'm lucky so far to not have had any issues. Hopefully those folks got in touch with Axial and got those parts replaced.

To the panhard hitting the servo horn, they do list the specs for height of the servo, which can be remedied with spacers if you're out of spec. Leaky shocks, well, that'll never change! I ended up replacing the fronts with the nitride coated dual rate ones.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #108
Rock Stacker

Axial Racing - SMT10

elaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Fair enough, there's always growing pains with new kits, from any manufacturer. I'm lucky so far to not have had any issues. Hopefully those folks got in touch with Axial and got those parts replaced.

To the panhard hitting the servo horn, they do list the specs for height of the servo, which can be remedied with spacers if you're out of spec. Leaky shocks, well, that'll never change! I ended up replacing the fronts with the nitride coated dual rate ones.
I have no complaints, I only mentioned the most common issues. I addressed all these in the first week and now have a great truck. I love the new SCX10 II.....except for the trans.

Last edited by SCREAMER; 07-21-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #110

Quote:
The notchy gears, leaky shocks, and suspension hitting the servo horn has plagued every SCX10 since the beginning. Odd that it continues with the II.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The notchy gears, leaky shocks, and suspension hitting the servo horn has plagued every SCX10 since the beginning. Odd that it continues with the II.
I've had unbelievable luck with my Rubicon (C/R RTR). I upgraded the motor and all the links, and I didn't have a part fail or malfunction for over a year. Eventually the rear driveshaft gave and I replaced it with steel. No issues since.

Maybe I just got super lucky, but my SCX10 has been defect and maintenance free for two years now.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

I've seen a lot of people hammering on the wheel and tire choice for this truck. I think the tires are a little small, and the rims look rather toy-ish, but I think if you were to paint the beadlock area of the wheel with a green paint, the truck would look infinitely better.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:53 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
I've had unbelievable luck with my Rubicon (C/R RTR). I upgraded the motor and all the links, and I didn't have a part fail or malfunction for over a year. Eventually the rear driveshaft gave and I replaced it with steel. No issues since.

Maybe I just got super lucky, but my SCX10 has been defect and maintenance free for two years now.
Don't get me wrong, my original SCX10 has been bulletproof. But when you put new Axial gears in the axles it is extremely notchy until it wears in. And the shocks...well you might as well not put oil in them because it all leaks out anyway. That's with Teflon tape on the threads and green slime on the o-rings.

Quote:
I've seen a lot of people hammering on the wheel and tire choice for this truck. I think the tires are a little small, and the rims look rather toy-ish, but I think if you were to paint the beadlock area of the wheel with a green paint, the truck would look infinitely better.
I have heard from friends that they thing it looks like a toy. The bright green chassis doesn't help, but that's like the real Grave Digger and it looks toyish. But the wheels sure don't help matters. These are all nitpicks though. I'm fine with the looks. It's friggin' cool.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I've blown up sets of diff gears and seen many fail racing, it's a know problem with ar60 MTs.

If we could get a hardened steel diff gear set that would be tits, hint hint Axial.
Is there enough room to get a set of 8th scale buggy diff gears to fit in the AR60 housing?
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #115
RCC Addict

HPI makes diff gears that fit these cases, they are supposed to be pretty decent. I cannot remember the part number though.

Last edited by HDMM; 07-23-2016 at 06:23 PM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
HPI makes diff gears that fit these cases, they are supposed to be pretty decent. I can ot remember the part number though.
There's more than one choice from HPI from what I've seen but I can figure out which is the HD option. I've searched through the Yeti forum because I know those guys use them but all I could find was HPI spider gears mention without actual part numbers. I'd love to have this info too.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #117
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There's more than one choice from HPI from what I've seen but I can figure out which is the HD option. I've searched through the Yeti forum because I know those guys use them but all I could find was HPI spider gears mention without actual part numbers. I'd love to have this info too.
HPI 86014 is what I use.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
floundern45rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

grey wheels can be seen on grave digger #23. and usually the "green wheels" are only for the end of the season.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Anyone have any ideas about what aftermarket bodies will work on this? Most of the ones I'm looking at I think will be too wide.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #120

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas about what aftermarket bodies will work on this? Most of the ones I'm looking at I think will be too wide.
Maybe some stampede bodies would work?
tweeter79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial + Monster Jam? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Jam?? Tontos_Touch Chit Chat 3 10-20-2013 02:15 PM
Monster Jam!!!!!!!!! Del Montess Chit Chat 7 01-31-2010 11:19 PM
Monster Mutt Monster Jam Clod..... Da Hermit Non Crawler RC's 21 01-31-2010 06:28 PM