Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Build or not to build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #1

Default Build or not to build

Hi

I new in crawler/scale scene.
I`m deciding if I want to build or buy scale model.

If I would like to build tube chassis I don`t know what to get from equipment.
I don`t want to spend to much money but I would like to get good price/performance.

I only know that I want wrangler unlimited body on 2.2 pitbull rocker tires mounted on bedlock rims and scale look on top of tube chassis. If I want, I can take body of and I get tube buggy

I em also confused about wraith and scx 10 axle width. I see that some people made wraith axle narow but don`t know why..

Can you give me advice on what to get for rims, axles, shocks...

Does anybody knows this?
Boom Racing Axial Wraith Complete Assembled Aluminum AR60 Rear Axle Yeti Wraith Bomber Score Red BR247040

Boom Racing Axial SCX10 Complete Assembled Aluminum Front Axle - 1 Set Black [RECON G6 The Fix Certified] BR233022

Team Raffee Co. Axial SCX10 Complete Aluminum Front Axle for SCX-10 AX10 Red TRC/32115
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Build or not to build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Hi

I new in crawler/scale scene.
I`m deciding if I want to build or buy scale model.

If I would like to build tube chassis I don`t know what to get from equipment.
I don`t want to spend to much money but I would like to get good price/performance.

I only know that I want wrangler unlimited body on 2.2 pitbull rocker tires mounted on bedlock rims and scale look on top of tube chassis. If I want, I can take body of and I get tube buggy

I em also confused about wraith and scx 10 axle width. I see that some people made wraith axle narow but don`t know why..

Can you give me advice on what to get for rims, axles, shocks...

Does anybody knows this?
Boom Racing Axial Wraith Complete Assembled Aluminum AR60 Rear Axle Yeti Wraith Bomber Score Red BR247040

Boom Racing Axial SCX10 Complete Assembled Aluminum Front Axle - 1 Set Black [RECON G6 The Fix Certified] BR233022

Team Raffee Co. Axial SCX10 Complete Aluminum Front Axle for SCX-10 AX10 Red TRC/32115
Hello and welcome,
You usually don't get inexpensive, good performance and all the goodies you want. There usually must be trade-offs. I prefer 1.9 tires over 2.2, because they require more driving skill to make the same crawl lines.

Tube chassis is usually silver soldered, this can be done if you have the proper equipment, some practice and take your time. Axial Wraith and Bomber have molded plastic "tube" cages and you can mount most any body with some patience, cutting, ShoeGoo, etc. The old Honcho SCX10 has a cage bed area, the new Vaterra Ascender Chevy pickup cab has a plastice "tube" cage bed area similar to the Axial Honcho.

People narrow Wraith axles to use the more scale looking axle in 1.9 truck builds. Narrow axles are more scale looking and more challenging to drive.

I would not buy any of those metal axles you mentioned.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #3

Ascender is interesting. I did not noticed before...

I did take a look at both of them (V ascender and A scx10) and I like bigger body of ascender (K5) more.

I see that ascender has smaller ring and pinion. Axial has bigger but weaker.
Ascender pumpkin is not so realistic like scx10.

Which one are better?
Are there also a lot of upgrade parts for ascender?

I have all equipment for tube chassis lined up, now I just need good body, axles and arms and start building

Also I like lifted trucks so K5 with 2.2 rims and tires will look great. I need to find some pictures...

So you say If I get plastic axles instead of aluminium I will be OK?

What do I need to upgrade If I take ascender axles?
Old 08-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #4

What about these?

RC4WD ARB Special Edition T-Rex 60 Front & Rear Plastic Complete Axle Z-A0052 - RC-HP.de - Traxxas - Arrma - RC4WD - Axial - Yokomo - MST | RC-HP.de, 100,41 €

Is this ok for starting build?

I cant find vaterra axles here..
Old 08-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the main question.. to build or not to build.

if your comfortable with assembling things or are mechanically inclined I would build it piece by piece.

start with the body you want to find the wheelbase youll want to go with.

next I would just collect parts day by day and wait till you have everything that youll find that works together and build it. its very satisfying to build from ground up rather than buying a kit.

if not, buy a good and decent used rig with proven parts.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

Yes that's my other thought as well. Trying to find a good used one since my schedule is stupid busy this time of year.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
athens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I got a rtr ascender blazer for my birthday a year ago and was a complete rc noob. I'm a professional mechanic so building to me is easy. I really enjoyed opening the box and getting to play right off. I'm not saving for a kit so I can enjoy the build but now I know so much more about the trucks that I'll be able to improve as I build. Just my point of view.
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ascender is interesting. I did not noticed before...

I did take a look at both of them (V ascender and A scx10) and I like bigger body of ascender (K5) more.

Which one are better?
Are there also a lot of upgrade parts for ascender?

Also I like lifted trucks so K5 with 2.2 rims and tires will look great. I need to find some pictures...

So you say If I get plastic axles instead of aluminium I will be OK?

What do I need to upgrade If I take ascender axles?
Both are good, personally I prefer the Ascender, it comes with all the parts that are considered hop-ups on most other crawlers. My first was RTR, pulled it out of the box, gave it the once over and ran some batteries through it. Few slight mods here and there and it's even better. I shimmed the diffs, bought SSD diff covers, and installed Axial Wraith front swaybar on the rear. That's the basics to make it a great crawler, I shim all differentials and transmissions on all my RC, makes them run all the better and last longer. PLastic axle housings slide over rocks easier and usually take much more abuse than metal which can bend and crack.

Quote:
Those are better than the other axles you listed. Where are you looking for Vaterra axles? Buy RTR or kit and sell what you don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athens29 View Post
Yes that's my other thought as well. Trying to find a good used one since my schedule is stupid busy this time of year.
RTR might be good if you're short on time as I was, usually I prefer kits though for the joy of assembling them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
I got a rtr ascender blazer for my birthday a year ago and was a complete rc noob. I'm a professional mechanic so building to me is easy. I really enjoyed opening the box and getting to play right off. I'm not saving for a kit so I can enjoy the build but now I know so much more about the trucks that I'll be able to improve as I build. Just my point of view.
Ben
Old 08-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Some of my experiences, in order

1) Build a kit. It was easy to assemble but took additional time and a good amount of money to do mods I found on this site. Overall a great experience and had it running in a day, but it took 4 months to get it where I was happy.

2)Buy a rtr deadbolt. Took my time and did the same mods as before. Cheapest route.

3)frame up build, not just buying a bunch of parts and assembling it, some fab work, and getting parts meant for other trucks to work together. Most costly up front, but I am saving money in the long run getting exactly what I wanted. It also has taken the most amount of time and effort. I enjoyed it the most, but also was the most frustrating of the three.

Had I not known what I learned from 1 and 2, I could have never done 3.

I have one more truck that I have to build for my daughter. Given all I learned, I am going to do an SCX10 II, I only rule out the ascender because I have a far amount of spare scx10 part to maintain the rigs during events.

A couple other things.

The stock deadbolt was darn near impossible to break in stock form, even on 3s. However once I did the first upgrade(steel links), the stress absorbed by the stock plastic ones went right up the line and started breaking things.

"Gear down, volt up" best advice I read on the site.

The cost of the rig should take into account the amount of time and enjoyment you get from working on it. Working on it is half the fun.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 08-18-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

Always build a kit!, that's my 2 cents
Jeff Jenkins sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 06:09 AM   #11

Thank you for advice. I plan to build chassis so I`m thinking on buying parts slowly. One thing is that at the moment I don`t have time other thing is that 400€+ is too much money for now.
I can buy slowly and till NY I can start building.

Maybe option with buying - where can I get ascender for lowest price in US?
Old 08-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #12

What do you think?

https://www.boomracingrc.com/cnc-mac...04?search=axle

I`m sucker for bling things
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
What do you think?

https://www.boomracingrc.com/cnc-mac...04?search=axle

I`m sucker for bling things
Nice axles. Boom makes good stuff.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you for advice. I plan to build chassis so I`m thinking on buying parts slowly. One thing is that at the moment I don`t have time other thing is that 400€+ is too much money for now.
I can buy slowly and till NY I can start building.

Maybe option with buying - where can I get ascender for lowest price in US?
RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models

Great prices, customer service and check their coupon code page too.

Build or not to build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM