Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Biting off more than I can chew?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Default Biting off more than I can chew?

I am (obviously) new to this game, and I'm thinking of building up a Wraith from the ground up. I have a line on a Wraith body, chassis, transmission, with SCX10 axles for $250 Canadian. I'd need to get all the electronics, servos, motor, wheels, rx/tx, and maybe a few other bits here and there.

I'm mechanically savvy, but not so much with the electronics.

Am I getting in over my head? It's going to be expensive but I'd probably rip everything out and upgrade almost everything if I bought a complete anyway.

Should I dive down the rabbit hole?
curvedwallride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Biting off more than I can chew?

First thing is what is the intended use? Going fast and jumping, driving on trails or crawling? There is some mixture or abilities between those areas but not a whole lot.

What is your target budget wise?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

SCX axles are narrower than AR60 axles and will require some work to fit under a Wraith chassis. If that work has already been done then you're fine. The modifications aren't anything wild and are pretty easy to tackle but just be aware of the situation. It's not really plug and play. You may also run into rubbing issues on the chassis which will require high offset wheels, spacers, or chassis modification especially if you want to run 2.2 wheels/tires. SCX axles under a Wraith are more typically used for 1.9 setups.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah you mentioned SCX10 axles but that's for a 1.9 Wraith build, which does require some tinkering and if you've never messed with crawlers before that's not a recommended route. FWIW, I just helped a friend pick out a Wraith Spawn kit and parts to have a well crawling rig for $700. The biggest electronics cost was the Hitec 7950Th servo, and the motor/esc came in at $80. It's mainly about your budget and what you want to do with it.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #5

Use - I want to hit a middle round. Some speed woudl be fun, and the ability to crawl would also be good. I understand that hitting a middle ground, it won't do both well, but I can modify it later if I want to overpower it for speed or under gear it for crawling.

Budget - Don't know. I'm not going to throw all the money at it at once, but over the course of the winter. It's a bit of a winter project to keep me occupied.

The SCX axles are already mounted to the chassis. I'd probably stick with 1.9 tires. I want to put AL linkage/control arms on it; will I have a hard time doing that with the SCX axles? Does Wraith linkage fit with the SCX axles or would I have to get SCX linkage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Yeah you mentioned SCX10 axles but that's for a 1.9 Wraith build, which does require some tinkering and if you've never messed with crawlers before that's not a recommended route.

Why is it not recommended?

Last edited by THX_138; 11-03-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

You can do it, but you'll have to make your own links or modify some existing links. Making your own links basically involves 8/32" all-thread sleeved in brake line with Revo rod ends, or shortening some existing Wraith aluminum links with shorter rod ends. Just be aware of things like driveshaft angles, wheelbase, and like Chupacabra said you may have rubbing issues with certain tires/wheel setups.

When I say not recommended, it's mainly because some people don't have a dremel or something to fabricate links with and if you're getting started into RC or crawlers, you will want to pick one up anyways.

Last edited by Sneetches; 11-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvedwallride View Post
The SCX axles are already mounted to the chassis. I'd probably stick with 1.9 tires. I want to put AL linkage/control arms on it; will I have a hard time doing that with the SCX axles? Does Wraith linkage fit with the SCX axles or would I have to get SCX linkage?
I've seen some Wraith/SCX builds where guys leave the wheelbase at stock length in which case life is easier but I don't think it looks or performs nearly as well as a shortened wheelbase. I moved the axles in a bit for scale appearance from the stock wraith wheelbase. Nothing suspension related will be off the shelf if you shorten the wheelbase. I also had to shorten my MIP driveshafts about 1/8".
Old 11-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #8

Dang, so what ya'lls are saying about this Wraith with SCX10 axles for a n00b is a bad idea. So I'll steer away from that I guess.

I do want to stick with the Wraith and I still want to build one from the ground up, so I'll have to keep an eye out for something else.

So if I find a Wraith roller or something with Wraith axles, it shouldn't be too hard to build one up, I guess? I foresee that binding the transmitter and receiver will be my biggest hurdle.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

There are tons of cheap Wraiths around. I see them locally on Craigslist all the time. I bought a really cheap one on ebay that needed some work.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #10

There are no cheep ones in Vancouver. The cheapest I've found is still $500, and that's not cheep to me. To start out I really only want to spend about $200-$250, and if that's a roller that's fine. Unless I can find something in Canada on ebay, shipping and currency exchange is going to kill the wallet.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

A wraith will flop on a hard turn at the speed of smell with wider stock axles. For a noobie I'd never in a billion years recommend starting with one on scx axles. That's a sure fire way to get frustrated right out the gate.

The recommendation to find a stocker is a good one.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There are no cheep ones in Vancouver. The cheapest I've found is still $500, and that's not cheep to me. To start out I really only want to spend about $200-$250, and if that's a roller that's fine. Unless I can find something in Canada on ebay, shipping and currency exchange is going to kill the wallet.
keep your eyes open for a few weeks on kijiji, i see cheap scx10s and wraiths there all the time, you just have to check often as they dont last long!
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #13

People put SCX10 axles on Wraiths when they want to use 1.9 tires and wheels. Don't do it if you intend to use 2.2 wheels and tires.

If you have any mechanical skills you can build any RC from the ground up.

The Bomber is almost like an updated Wraith. It will crawl better than a Wraith and the higher speed handling is so much better than a Wraith. Plus, the Bomber kit comes with tons of upgrades if you buy a kit. That will be cheaper, by far, in the long run than building a Wraith piece by piece and then having to ugprade the drivetrain, links, steering, etc.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:

I do want to stick with the Wraith and I still want to build one from the ground up,
When you say "Build one from the ground up" are you talking about a kit or trying to source all the parts yourself?

If it was me, I'd spend a few bucks more than your $250 budget and pick up a new Wraith kit for around $300. Trying to source everything from different places is frustrating. A new Axial kit will have everything you need without having to shop around for everything.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiankrawler View Post
keep your eyes open for a few weeks on kijiji, i see cheap scx10s and wraiths there all the time, you just have to check often as they dont last long!
I don't really check kijiji but I think I will start. Even Craigslist has turned up nothing within my price range and exactly what I want. I will certainly keep looking though.

I'm just being stupid picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
When you say "Build one from the ground up" are you talking about a kit or trying to source all the parts yourself?

If it was me, I'd spend a few bucks more than your $250 budget and pick up a new Wraith kit for around $300. Trying to source everything from different places is frustrating. A new Axial kit will have everything you need without having to shop around for everything.
I don't see the point in buying a new kit when i'm just going to replace a lot of the parts anyway. Kits are also around $450 up here, sadly.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-03-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The kit actually comes with better parts. Alloy links, hardened gears in the diffs, alloy shocks, universal type front axles, sticky tires etc. They give you better parts than the rtr but no junk electronics that the rtr includes.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:06 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Just jump on tower hobbies, pay $5 for super saver membership. With coupon code and if the wraith is still a club saver item you should be around $270-280. Im not sure what it would cost to ship up north but in the states orders over $100 have free shipping
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

OK - $300 US converts to about $400 Canadian. If you went to Seattle and bought it, they will charge near $50 Canadian in taxes to bring it in. Build up an order in TowerHobbies and calculate shipping to Canada - then compare.

https://www.crossbordershopping.ca/c...uty-calculator

I do agree on joining the SuperSaver Club - it's about $5 and saves you MUCH more if you spend a lot - you will get even better coupon codes in your email than the ones they post on the website...

(BTW - I used BC as province, Toys and Vehicle Play set as types and "built elsewhere" as Axial stuff is made in Taiwan... there was no duty added - so I guess it's exempt)

Last edited by durok; 11-03-2016 at 05:28 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:19 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't really check kijiji but I think I will start. Even Craigslist has turned up nothing within my price range and exactly what I want. I will certainly keep looking though.

I'm just being stupid picky.
I don't know about BC but in Ontario Kijiji is much better than Craigslist.
Canadiankrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaddy View Post
Just jump on tower hobbies, pay $5 for super saver membership. With coupon code and if the wraith is still a club saver item you should be around $270-280. Im not sure what it would cost to ship up north but in the states orders over $100 have free shipping
And they do financing! Fancy. That fits my budgeting wants/needs way better.

Welp, looks like I'll be purchasing a new one through Tower. Thanks for all of the insight, gents.

Last edited by curvedwallride; 11-03-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Biting off more than I can chew? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biting Elbows "Bad Motherf*cker" Die-Laughing Chit Chat 9 08-15-2013 10:23 PM
biting the bullet thumper68 Newbie General 11 03-19-2010 04:52 PM
What to do when the fish aren't biting... DeaDShorT Chit Chat 13 07-29-2007 08:25 PM
So what you all chew/dip? mudhunter Chit Chat 54 12-12-2006 02:40 PM