Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want to build a Crawler Basher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

Default Want to build a Crawler Basher

I have nothing related to RC's, so I'm starting completely from scratch. So far I have about $350 saved up and I want to build a 1/10 scale, 4x4, kit crawler / basher. Something with a bit of speed for small jumps, but also something I can crawl with my kids (not on the same course, since they'll be buying 1/24 HK Basher Rocksta's). I want something with good quality, and good parts support - I don't have a hobby shop close by and figure I'll order most stuff online if/when needed.

Unfortunately, it seems kits are generally geared towards those that are already heavily invested in the RC hobby, or those with deeper pockets (because they aren't significantly cheaper and seem to always include upgraded parts, but require significantly more cash to complete since they are missing electronics).

I really like the looks of the Vaterra Twin Hammers V2 and the Axial Yeti or Bomber. I like that the TH RTR includes a two-speed transmission and the controller supports the additional channel for the shifter. But I really like the larger size of the Yeti's, which are already at the top of my price range, and I still have to buy a battery and charger...

I guess I'm leaning towards the Twin Hammers V2 RTR right now since it's within my price range, but I'd really appreciate any other suggestions you all might have.

Last edited by particle; 12-21-2016 at 12:09 PM.
particle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Want to build a Crawler Basher

TH is cool, Yeti is bigger with a better aftermarket parts support, but of the three you mentioned, the Bomber would be my choice. $350 is a very tight budget, keep saving until you can buy a Bomber. If you are going to be on this forum, you'll be extremely tempted/convinced to buy upgrades (necessary or not). My advice: there's usually a few used ones around, which will generally net you the truck, battery and a charger, and maybe even a couple upgrades for the same price as just the truck new, or less. Drive it and upgrade as your budget allows, or just replace parts as they break. It is an extremely addicting hobby and can get very, very expensive, BUT it can be done for cheap. It all depends how invested you are in it.

Good luck!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #3

Thanks LSXGMC - My wife has me on a $40/mo allowance.

I was reading on another thread several people were recommending various electronics to complete a different build. I don't know enough about motor sizes, ESC's, etc. to know what would be suitable to complete the Bomber (or the Trail Hammer for that matter if I went the kit route), but I guess I had expected most of the components to cost more than the numbers they were throwing around. Guess it's time for me to brush up on my Excel Spreadsheet skills...
Old 12-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Make a wishlist for christmas, birthday aso.

I started with a Yeti Kit in Feb. this year, love my little monster.

U can get an cheap Radio i would recommand an GT3B 3channel (can be modded up to 8 channels) round about 30$.

I would start if i'm on budget with a brushed setup, cause u can get reliable motor/esc combo cheaper than brushless. I would go with an HW 1080 40$ and an good brushed motor 540 size

I use the zippy compact 3s 5800mAh 65C Lipos aprox 35$ and an cheap charger with charge discharge and storage can set u up.

Left a good steering servo and the Kit of choice.

Very addictive hobby but a blast of fun.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Well if you really want cheap... Stay away from the speed rigs, faster crashes harder. Heavy trucks are hard on shocks and springs, blah blah blah.
Lots of folks say "I want to stay cheap". No you do not, you just don't know better yet. You will eventually want the best,once you have it, you'll find your interests changed to a different niche, and another RC will be bought. Good luck.
First it might be a rock racer, then you'll want either faster or slower, maybe a Slash, 4X4 VXL, had good luck with mine, a 1/16 mini slash with a big block is faster but the 1/10 is more controllable.
The Losi Night Crawler (and Comp Crawler) is perhaps the most capable shafty out of the box. It can be Scaled, Comped or just bashed. Its not fast, but it CRAWLS. The Wraith might be the more solid platform for your use, it's a bit more capable in technical spots, IMO.

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm a bit drunk...
MogollonMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't rule out the Wraith. For crawl-ability and general bashing you can't go wrong with the wraith. It will crawl better than the above mentioned rigs and can take a beating as well.
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Make a wishlist for christmas, birthday aso.

I started with a Yeti Kit in Feb. this year, love my little monster.

U can get an cheap Radio i would recommand an GT3B 3channel (can be modded up to 8 channels) round about 30$.

I would start if i'm on budget with a brushed setup, cause u can get reliable motor/esc combo cheaper than brushless. I would go with an HW 1080 40$ and an good brushed motor 540 size

I use the zippy compact 3s 5800mAh 65C Lipos aprox 35$ and an cheap charger with charge discharge and storage can set u up.

Left a good steering servo and the Kit of choice.

Very addictive hobby but a blast of fun.
Great advice! Keep it all affordable, but quality and do not upgrade just because it's shiny, blingy and all the cool kids say it's the best. Remember to leave a budget for spares/crash replacements. It's much more fun to have fun with what you can afford and the parts recommended by MagicYeti are all quality, less expensive. I'm still using my GT3B after GT3C that I had for years, Hobbywing 1060 and 1080 are both good ESC for good price. Zippy, Turnigy, SMC, Value Hobby are all good lipos for cheap price. Good luck and keep us updated, read around and ask more questions.

Edit: Wraith is not a good inexpensive vehicle imo.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I vote twin hammers. I own a wraith, bomber, twin hammers, couple scx's, and a few others.

The twin hammers kit offers the best value IMO. Very well designed, goes together like a race truck with tight fitment of parts, shocks that actually hold oil, rod ends aren't all sloppy after two hours of use. You get the swaybars, metal trans gears, decent enough swampers and two stage foams. The only needed upgrade is the sr erie bellcrank steering conversion. It handles and jumps way better than a wraith or bomber. I hammer the snot out of mine and it's a trooper.

My axials however, have required considerably more investment to keep reliable at similar abuse levels. Like before I knew it theres easily 1k wrapped up in either my wraith or bomber. I liked driving them so I kept upgrading until they stopped breaking. At least now they are reliable.

If you were willing to just crawl then a stockish wrath or bomber geared way down may hold up for you, but as soon as you start adding speed and jumps you quickly find the limitations of the stock links, knuckles/c-hubs, and so on...

Meanwhile I've broken a couple expensive 7950 servo's in the Twin hammers and had all the stock plastic front end parts somehow survive.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

Update - I ended up ordering a 2wd Traxxas Slash Courtney Force edition for my 7 year old, a Vaterra Twin Hammers V2 RTR for my 12 year old, and a Axial SCX10 Deadbolt for myself. I was really looking forward to building a kit, but this approach allowed all three of the boys in the house (myself included) to get their own car.

Want to build a Crawler Basher - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
first basher build. evan03 Axial Wraith 101 10-05-2013 09:28 PM
Hilux Basher Build ckscaler Axial SCX-10 1 07-21-2012 09:19 PM
My Maxx basher/crawler build crazy81 Traxxas Crawlers 56 07-25-2011 09:34 PM
WK Basher/Crawler Build WK Joe HPI Wheely King 9 07-24-2008 06:05 AM