Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First time build suburban all opinions wwlcome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Default First time build suburban all opinions wwlcome

So I have had rcs in the past but I was out offroading and when one of the jeeps in our pack broke down a couple guys broke out their 4x4 rcs to kill some time . Well I was immediately intrigued and ready to learn what I gotta do to make my own. One of the guys there told me about this site so I thought I'd give it a go . Thanks to nyferrari I was able to get some good insight and Y'all have put a lot of good info on starter kits and such so I'll just get to it , I want to start a build but I want to make a scale model of my suburban just wondering if anyone has any tips on what they have used in the past pros cons and what not to use and presumably how to find or put a body together??? Would like to be cost efficient with this project but I am willing to put the money and effort into this over time
Paddysburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

Default Re: First time build suburban all opinions wwlcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddysburb View Post
So I have had rcs in the past but I was out offroading and when one of the jeeps in our pack broke down a couple guys broke out their 4x4 rcs to kill some time . Well I was immediately intrigued and ready to learn what I gotta do to make my own. One of the guys there told me about this site so I thought I'd give it a go . Thanks to nyferrari I was able to get some good insight and Y'all have put a lot of good info on starter kits and such so I'll just get to it , I want to start a build but I want to make a scale model of my suburban just wondering if anyone has any tips on what they have used in the past pros cons and what not to use and presumably how to find or put a body together??? Would like to be cost efficient with this project but I am willing to put the money and effort into this over time

I don't know how much insight you got from me, lol, but thanks.
All the guys who have been doing this for a while deserve the credit for sure.
Best of luck with the build! Make sure you show us some pics of your progress.
nyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

There's been a few Suburbans. The base is typically a Tamiya Clod Buster or RC4WD body.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Good suggestions already, but read around here and see what other people have done with their builds, use the search function and while imperfect it is a big help. You didn't mention what scale, most people probably assume 1/10, but there are minis and micros here too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Good suggestions already, but read around here and see what other people have done with their builds, use the search function and while imperfect it is a big help. You didn't mention what scale, most people probably assume 1/10, but there are minis and micros here too.
I am doing a larger scale build so probably a 1/10 and I found one but I can't seem to find it again it was a very detailed build the guy bought two square body pick ups and put them together
Old 04-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I liked this build: Rc4wd 1977 suburban
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hey paddy, if your talking about the square body ford pickups that were made into a 4 door I believe that was a yeti TT build.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm aware that your doing a GM body but was curious if the post you couldn't find was the ford yeti build. It's a really clean build and he did basically what your trying to do with combining a couple bodies to make the 4 door look.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyferrari View Post
I don't know how much insight you got from me, lol, but thanks.
All the guys who have been doing this for a while deserve the credit for sure.
Best of luck with the build! Make sure you show us some pics of your progress.
It was the comments to your post that helped me

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Hey paddy, if your talking about the square body ford pickups that were made into a 4 door I believe that was a yeti TT build.
Trying to do a gm suburban (gmc or chevy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
no I want a gm suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I liked this build: Rc4wd 1977 suburban
This tag helped me so much thank you !!!! I'm literally going to use this exact build but mine is going to look waaaaay different I will post a progress feed as soon as I start it might not be for a month or two though gotta get some bills paid off before I invest into my new life long interest/hobby

Last edited by THX_138; 10-27-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Merge,minute apart posting
Old 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum and to scaling. If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be to consider starting with something a little less ambitious as a first scale build. To do a proper Suburban, there's a good bit of styrene work to be done, and it's not a simple place to start (esp. the curves at the forward corners of the back doors). Then you'd have to modify an existing chassis (like the TF2), use a GCM CMAX chassis (which would support the necessary wheelbase), or fab your own chassis. The CMAX platform is relatively straightforward; the other two options would be a fair bit more involved. You can build a great truck starting with an existing platform like the TF2 or Gelande 2 and get a better feel for how these types of trucks work before jumping into a much more ambitious build.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck and keep us posted.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Do you crawl on base at Camp Pendleton? I remember when I was in Infantry Training School looking around and wishing it was just one huge park open to the public! Gorgeous terrain out there.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Welcome to the forum and to scaling. If I could offer one bit of advice, it would be to consider starting with something a little less ambitious as a first scale build. To do a proper Suburban, there's a good bit of styrene work to be done, and it's not a simple place to start (esp. the curves at the forward corners of the back doors). Then you'd have to modify an existing chassis (like the TF2), use a GCM CMAX chassis (which would support the necessary wheelbase), or fab your own chassis. The CMAX platform is relatively straightforward; the other two options would be a fair bit more involved. You can build a great truck starting with an existing platform like the TF2 or Gelande 2 and get a better feel for how these types of trucks work before jumping into a much more ambitious build.

Regardless of what you decide, good luck and keep us posted.
Working with actual vehicles as a previous mech I've done a lot of work with bondo and jb weld but never used styrene before so I will definitely consider starting with something smaller and using styrene to get the feel thank you for the input I might start with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Do you crawl on base at Camp Pendleton? I remember when I was in Infantry Training School looking around and wishing it was just one huge park open to the public! Gorgeous terrain out there.
I am stationed on Pendleton now and I think the same thing but I just got into this so I don't have a crawler setup yet.

Last edited by THX_138; 10-27-2017 at 10:30 PM.

First time build suburban all opinions wwlcome - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suburban Build! cdw327 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 04-03-2017 09:33 AM
1985 1/9 Suburban scratch build JoeThePro 1.5 Scale Rigs 34 03-14-2017 06:57 AM
Need opinions on new build school boy Axial SCX-10 4 02-15-2014 12:08 PM
bruiser suburban build Rockcrusher General Scale Talk 39 11-17-2006 05:55 PM
Time for a rebuild, opinions? coldfire_76 Tamiya Clod Buster 10 11-06-2006 03:31 PM