Notices

Thread: which vehicle fits my purpose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: which vehicle fits my purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Brushless stink for low speed crawling because they "cog" (start-stop); go Holmes brushed 45t for slow crawling.
I don't know if you've used a modern sensored brushless setup recently but they don't cog at all and have similar low speed to brushed, albeit they're always at least double the price of a cheap brushed system.

For example Castle Creations Mamba X Sensored 25.2V WP ESC and 1406-2850Kv Sensored Combo

vs.

Hobbywing 1080 + Holmes Torquemaster = ~$90
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #22

I'm somewhat in the same boat, just now researching options. I initially had the high sped basher approach but now I'm thinking of getting a hybrid style.

In no order of trucks I have considered:
Axial Bomber (seems to be a slightly bigger/better version of a Wraith for crawling and bashing)
Axial Wraith (I'm reading they take some $$ to make them durable)
Axial SCX10 II (not much into the "scale" side of RC but I find it interesting to half-ass crawl to make it a challenge)
Traxxas TRX4 (portal axles, remote locking diffs, 2 speed trans...all the bells and whistles LOL)
Traxxas Summit (remote locking diffs, brushed, not very scale but very durable)
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 (able to convert from true basher to a crawler motor with locked diffs and different tires for crawling)

My bashing is zipping through grass and occasional 5ft jumps. Nothing crazy.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
I'm somewhat in the same boat, just now researching options. I initially had the high sped basher approach but now I'm thinking of getting a hybrid style.

In no order of trucks I have considered:
Axial Bomber (seems to be a slightly bigger/better version of a Wraith for crawling and bashing)
Axial Wraith (I'm reading they take some $$ to make them durable)
Axial SCX10 II (not much into the "scale" side of RC but I find it interesting to half-ass crawl to make it a challenge)
Traxxas TRX4 (portal axles, remote locking diffs, 2 speed trans...all the bells and whistles LOL)
Traxxas Summit (remote locking diffs, brushed, not very scale but very durable)
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 (able to convert from true basher to a crawler motor with locked diffs and different tires for crawling)

My bashing is zipping through grass and occasional 5ft jumps. Nothing crazy.
Well i'm 4/6 of those, TRX4 and Bomber aside for the moment. The Stampede/Summit are really just for bashing around, the Summit has the advantage that it can be nice for trail driving. There's also technically the "Summit LT" which is like a better trail truck because of the locking diffs, but can still bash well with the independent suspension. Otherwise they both have huge chassis that get hung up on a lot that isn't a problem for the Bomber and Wraith. I tried locking up my Slash diffs and have a sensored motor, but it simply just doesn't crawl well, so if a trail got gnarly with rocks and bigger obstacles I'd be forced to pick it up.

It's hard to make a choice without seeing where you drive. The solid axle rigs don't really handle that great with speed but in a straight-ish line they're still fun. It really depends on the terrain, for example I'll take the Summit/Yeti/Slash at some wide open slate dumps any day but if it was a single track hiking path with lots of roots/rocks to step up then the Bomber/Wraith might be better.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Anything with a large belly (skid) is going to slow-crawl over obstacles worse than something with a small skid. 2.2's help by raising the ride height but that also raises the COG (center of gravity) making it more likely to tip over. However most big bellied beasts can just launch over stuff quickly due thier speed; it just doesn't look very scale doing it.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:13 AM   #25

i think i am almost there, ruled out the beast as i can see on a lot of the inclines i want to beat up and down that if it tips near the top then that lovely body work will be wrecked by the time it hits the bottom. So im leaning towards the bomber as a start point especially as its easy to get hop ups pinions/spurs etc to make it be the trail and hill killer i want. but for the purposes of due diligence i will pop over to the G-made forum to see how resilient the Gom is as it comes with 2 speed out the box also to see how easy it is to get hop ups and pinion/spurs etc for it.
incline1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 AM   #26

let know if i should start another thread, did a bit more research and noticed that the scx10 can gear down as low as 73.85:1 the bomber can get down to 39.64:1 ( some confusion on the axial website as it states the scxii can get down to 54.15:1 but the manual says 73.85:1 also ? ) anyway if i add in a 2 speed box which has a first gear output of 2:1 would that equate potentially 73.85 x2 i.e. approx 147:1 for the scx10 , im sure im being to simplistic here and not accounting for diff ratios etc.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Will brushed motors last very long on 4s, or are we talking about sensored brushless now?
Sorry, delayed response - the 4S guys are all running brushless, to my knowledge...

HH Puller Pro 2200, 2700 - no sweat, and some even U4 race the 3500 with 4S - that's taking it to the limit, very high RPMs.

And for the OP - are you making use of this site for your gearing calculations?

R/C Calculations

Also, a member here (mikebecher) has this nifty spreadsheet to look at:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...?usp=drive_web
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #28

thanks that calculator looks good, just need to source all the data
Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

If you want brushless go Bomber over GOM. The GOM seems to be a more capable crawler out of the box though. Probably due to weight distro. I have both...my bomber is brushless and 2 speed, with ripsaw tyres and dual stage crawler innavtion foams and my GOM is brushed and stock. The GOM over my obstacle course that I have made makes it easier than any other rig. Also whern out in the woods it climbs alot more. Dont know how resilient it will be as it was my XMAS build. Its my current favourite though...
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #30

has the GOM got plastic gears if so can they be upgraded ? not fused about brushless a decent brushed motor would be fine, i visited the G-made website to look at pinion and spur gear options but their website seems quite strange. The Gom would get me out there at a lower price with 2-speed so long as the durability is ok.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Was in the same boat a few monhs ago. Somehow interest got stirred up and went looking.
LHS has great prices so they sold me on a Arma Typhon. Kind of fun on the road, stupid fast 4or 6s power - up to 60mph which is too fast for me. It runs into stuff! Lol.

Then a buddy got a crawler so i did too.
He got a scx10 and i got an Ascender. Then he got a TRX4. This is getting stupid expensive. Lol

Anyway, i like the crawling aspect the best, some scaling but lexan body. The crawlers i just mentioned are more similar than different and all can be made to go faster than you can walk.

If you want to build one get a ascender or scx10. I still think both are better than the traxxes.

Don’t worry so much about gearing, you can change that. Decide if you like go-fast and racing, or walking with your scale crawler. Im happiest doing the latter.

I liked my rtr ascender so much I went and got the kit version and built that too (check out my biuld thread). Now I want another one! Its seriously good fun. I call them ‘tiny trucks’.

Last edited by Browneye; 01-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #32
RCC Addict

For what you are describing, a Bomber KIT with a sensored brushless setup like a Mamba X and Roc 412 HD sounds like the way to go but I'd skip the 2 speed. A good sensored setup is very smooth down low and has tons of torque and wheel speed. The brushless motor and ESC will cost more than brushed, but total cost for a good brushless system will be less than a good brushed system + 2 speed kit + shift servo. It will also be lighter, less complicated, and have fewer points of failure.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #33

i have looked at Vanterra it lookes very good and similar to the scx10ii, probably for me to get axial parts. Col Sanders yes agree sensored brushless is very smooth i have several sensored setups in 1/10 buggies i race and they are silky smooth. having watched many a video im now leaning more to the scale side SCX10ii as i want slow torque climbing as opposed to wheel speed. So here in the uk the scx10ii might be a good start point then make it what i want.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #34

ok so im nearly there scx10ii it is, if i initially go for a brushed setup and look at playing around with spur/pinion sets what would be a good motor i.e. as i see it high turn motor equal higher torque lower rpm lower turn equal less torque higher rpm. therefore if i were to down gear say to a 11t pinion and use a high rpm motor on 3s would i get good torque and some speed also ? one additional question on the scx
Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #35
RCC Addict

I don't know the scx10.2 but lots of Bombers are running brushed 21T / hobbywing 1080 on 3s and they are happy.

It's not brushless fast but it's enough to have fun and very cheap to replace.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
If you want to build one get a ascender...

Don’t worry so much about gearing, you can change that. Decide if you like go-fast and racing, or walking with your scale crawler. Im happiest doing the latter.

I liked my rtr ascender so much I went and got the kit version and built that too (check out my biuld thread). Now I want another one! Its seriously good fun. I call them ‘tiny trucks’.
Ascender RTR or kit.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:53 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by incline1914 View Post
ok so im nearly there scx10ii it is, if i initially go for a brushed setup and look at playing around with spur/pinion sets what would be a good motor i.e. as i see it high turn motor equal higher torque lower rpm lower turn equal less torque higher rpm. therefore if i were to down gear say to a 11t pinion and use a high rpm motor on 3s would i get good torque and some speed also ? one additional question on the scx
Many of us run a 35t motor and 3s as they allow you to gear down for more slow crawling and up for bashing. Beadlocks are also recommended so you don't waste the included tires with glue-on rims/wheels that don't let you change foams:
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Many of us run a 35t motor and 3s as they allow you to gear down for more slow crawling and up for bashing. Beadlocks are also recommended so you don't waste the included tires with glue-on rims/wheels that don't let you change foams:
saw one of the toyzuki fan ran a Puller 500 team 35T brushed motor with 4S Lipo. I am wondering the brushed should wear out quickly right?
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
saw one of the toyzuki fan ran a Puller 500 team 35T brushed motor with 4S Lipo. I am wondering the brushed should wear out quickly right?
Yeah, I asked the same question and was told >=4s is for brushless.

which vehicle fits my purpose - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIDE 1.9......they could have purpose. 808DA6 Tires and Wheels 7 06-01-2011 10:01 PM
purpose of a BEC??? russp Electronics 3 02-28-2011 12:30 AM
Purpose of Lockouts? aggierc Newbie General 2 11-25-2009 07:24 PM