Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Noooby first question and Hi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Noooby first question and Hi

Hey guys,

Been learning and reading a lot, I typically run 4wd, 2Wd buggy’s and 1/12 GT at the local tracks. Looking to get something to mess about with in the garden and local woods, Crawlers look idea and I can imagine the kids will love them. However I wondered if a model of truck that would be good for crawling and ok for a bit of higher speed shredding, exsists ? I see a lot of work on here which I can imagine doing to get the ultimate crawler in time. But I can not help thinking the kids will want Speeeeedddd as well. They race buggy’s 8 and 10 yrs old so ideally this will teach them... it’s not always (if in doubt flat out!)

Cheers

Again:

Looking For any tips / pointers to a good truck option that does not mind soaking up a few hits at speed as well as fine climbing / crawling .

Bertros - Sunny Scotland

Last edited by Bertros; 07-23-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Bertros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noooby first question and Hi

Some of the rock racer style kits might be a good compromise, independent front and solid axle rear. The Axial Yeti (if you can track one down) or Vaterra Twin Hammers, Losi Rock Rey, and other similar models might do the trick. They're kind of a jack of all trades master of none. Only other style I can think of are the monster backyard basher types and fill the diffs with JB weld to lock the diffs and make them better crawlers- but they lose turning radius...
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

That said- nothing will crawl as well, or as satisfyingly, as a proper crawler with proper gearing. There's something to it that no other model type can match, no matter how modified. I never knew going so slow could be so much fun, its really a different world.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks like this thread is having the same discussion:
Do I want a Bomber?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Thanks Wheelhaus

Will follow that thread..

Cheers
Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Looks like this thread is having the same discussion:
Do I want a Bomber?
Yup read it, no clearer í*ľí´Ł

I donât really want a flyer / Basher just something with a reasonable top end .

Sounds like my question should be..

What running gear... as in esc / motor / gearing / battery S.. should I be using for a good crawler set up with a top end of around 15 to 20 mph ?

I see the TX4 has a diff lock selection. Is that going to help with this?

Or is the locked out sport going to be a better choice, as itâs really a better crawler I am after and the higher clearance and fixed Drive etc.

Sorry did not want it to be a which TX4 / axial / kit question, from what I read they are all good is more down to the owner and preference for mods vs good stock kit imo. I donât want a RTR I have lots of radios servos etc. So my question now looks more like ... what running gear do I need for a good crawler with a bit of speed 15-20mph ?

Last edited by Bertros; 07-23-2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Ok so to have a faster crawler you'll likely want to go with a brushless motor and if thats not fast enough you might consider a kit that has a 2 speed option. I think most of the Axial kits offer a 2 speed upgrade option. You'll probably want a 3S battery.

I should note that gearing a crawler to go fast can make them get too hot and may cause electronics to fail but a brushless motor should help to give you a little bit more leeway over a brushed motor. There's typically a safe range for gearing options and what you're asking for might possibly put it right on or over this edge. If you have a temp reader I'd advise you use that to ensure your gearing isn't so high its getting too hot.

I'll also note that if this is for kids or even you that you may find yourself rolling over a lot, like on every turn. With fully locked diffs these truck easily traction roll so they are not good at going fast and turning at the same time.

In the end you might find that you dont really want a fast crawler after all, do you have any hobby shops that offer demos? Going slow is surprisingly entertaining and it something thats really hard to understand until you experience it firsthand.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-23-2019 at 04:53 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #8

Ok cheers. Sadly no clubs or LHS around here nothing that sell anything other than Tamika and FTX etc..

So Can y’all help re BOM.. below is what I have will it work?

ESC trackstar 80A (spares box)
7t 17t or 21t brushless motor ? (Spares box)
2s 7500mah or 4000mah
Savox servo (20kg) (spares box)
Sanwa Rx

Thinking - Axial builders kit (new)

Tyres ? ?
Foams ? ?
Weights??
For (Mainly rock / brick) not much mud

Body, any tips for the standard chassis ideally a Land Rover or bronco, or will I need a longer chassis 313mm is it ?

Will upgrade as I break stuff. Get hooked.. which I will!

Anything I have missed ( I have charger, tools.. etc from racing)

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

17T or 21T would likely be better than the 7T, though all of this is keeping going fast in mind. If you still want to go slow and have good low speed startup you really need a crawler specific motor. But those motors you have might be worth trying out so you can get a feel for crawling.

That ESC is also not ideal unless its only a go fast rig, just like with motors a crawler specific ESC will always be best at the slow stuff. Crawler ESC's also have instant or sometimes referred to as crawler reverse, this allows you to save your truck from rolling over when climbing by being able to instantly go in reverse. They also typically have throttle expo options or throttle curve options that allow for fine tuning of your slow speed inputs.
The Hobby wing 1080 ESC is a very popular and bargain choice though its for brushed motors only.

EDIT: I just noticed that ESC you listed is a brushless sensorless, if you go brushless ideally you'll want it to be sensored again for slow speed control.

The 4000mah 2S is probably a good start so long as its not an odd or large size. Though if its speed you want 3S would be better.

20KG servo is likely an ok starting point. Crawlers tend to eat up servos quite easily especially less powerfull ones. IMHO the more torque they have the better they will perform and last.

Any receiver and radio should work fine.

Pitbull and Proline make great tires, all of theirs are good. RC4WD also makes some good tires but you have to check the compound as some still use their old not so good compound, look for the X2S3 compound with them.

Foams depend on how heavy the truck is, on my heavier trucks I use Crawler innovations dual stage foams which should also help with high speed (they wont collapse like stock foams tend to)

Weights can be beneficial for crawling performance, I tend to use weighted Knuckles (SSD) and axles (Beeftubes). Having a slight forward bias to the weigh balance is what most people go for, this helps the trucks front end stay down allowing you to climb steeper inclines.

Here's a link to help you with motor and KV selection as well as vehicle gearing recommendations (these wont be fast gearing recommendations BTW)
https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-23-2019 at 05:43 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:05 AM   #10

Many thanks Humboldtef... that’s very informative and the link is exactly what is was looking for. Cheers!

Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I haven't read through all the posts, but from your initial request it kinda sounds like the Traxxas Summit might be the vehicle you're looking for.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #12

I bought my son a RedCat Gen 7 sport. I have added a few things that make it a pro without the heavier body. It was actually faster than he could effectively crawl with so I changed out the 35T brushed motor for a 55T brushed motor and it will crawl anything. My personal truck is a Vaterra Ascender with a 18.5T brushless sensored crawler motor. With my 3S battery mine will outrun all our friends except the TRX4 with a two speed. I hardly ever use the power that I have in my truck and go as slow as my son’s truck 98% of the time. It really is all about your personal preference.

RedneckCowboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Noooby first question and Hi - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mmp question and cc bec question. Cchapman Electronics 6 12-24-2014 04:38 PM
Tire foam question. WARNING!!! Noob question! tokdl Tires and Wheels 6 05-07-2014 10:55 AM
Drive way too fast question and front locker question. Mr.JayDeeM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 02-07-2012 09:19 AM
clearance question and articulation question axialnut Newbie General 17 09-24-2010 09:55 PM
Simplefied question for pervious question. Mudsy Tamiya Clod Buster 2 05-03-2009 09:59 AM