Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Complete Noob, lots o questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #1

Post Complete Noob, lots o questions

So, I've been doing rock crawling and offroading for several years, thinking about getting an RC toy to play with.

Right now, I'm torn between an Axial (maybe SCX10), a Cross HC6 (used to have an M35A2, so always have a sweet spot for them), or a Cross HC4 (just cause I like the HC6 and think the HC4 with only 2 axles and more simple suspension setup may allow for easier future upgrades.

What I'd like to do with it:
1. Get into RC crawling and fun. Learn the ropes
2. Have fun building it (leaning more towards Cross for this reason)
3. Accessorize... thought about adding a plow to it, or small snowblower and using it on the driveway... why i think the HC6 with a little weight in the back may make a GREAT candidate for this.
4. Do some crawling... maybe build a course one day to play on. In general, just have fun with it.

I think the Axial platforms lend themselves to a much wider aftermarket... more axle/suspension choices, seats, and the list goes on. Cross seems like a much more intricate build, still respectable quality, but when it comes to upgrades, it may be a much more DIY fab and make it work approach.

So, what I'd like to know:
1. For getting into casual RC world, with the desires I mentioned above, whats the right RC for me and why? Is there another I should consider?
2. Those that have experience with both Cross and Axial, specifically the HC4/6 and SCX10 platforms, can you comment on what you like/dont like/would do again?
3. Axial: Would you get a RTR kit, or get the builder kit, buy the body, and piece the rest together with selected stuff...

4. Axial Builder and Cross: What do you recommend for casual users (With the hope to one day upgrade, but lets be honest, may not stick with it), for a controller, servos, and motor? I'm sure its quite dependent, and if need be can discuss that later.
5. For a controller, how many channels do you really need, and recommendations on model/brands? What are all the channels used for? Steering, winch, transmission, transfer? I also know this can be quite model and part specific, but details are helpful!

I have more, but lets start there

-Cory
colsoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Complete Noob, lots o questions

Welcome to the forum. With the disclaimer that I haven’t owned a Cross truck (I’ve driven a couple briefly), here are my thoughts. The Cross trucks and SCX10/II are completely different animals. It’s best to think of the Cross trucks as scale models with RC capability rather than scale crawlers. The bodies look terrific, but capability is not even in the same league as other class 1 hardbody trucks like the RC4WD TF2, much less the 10.2. There is also no aftermarket to speak of for the Cross trucks. So if you buy a Cross, it would be primarily to enjoy building and detailing the body and take it on relatively easy trail runs as is. After I built my RC4WD Beast II, I ran it on some very easy trails a couple of times and it’s sat on the shelf since.

Trucks like the 10.2 and Traxxas TRX-4 are much more flexible. You can choose among a wide variety of bodies, and there is a ton of aftermarket support. You can opt for a performance-based build with a Lexan body, or choose a more realistic look with a hardbody. Once it’s built, you’d have a much easier time taking that type of truck out on trail runs with people in your area than you would with a Cross.

If you’re keen on a realistic hardbody build, there are some other platforms you should look at. The RC4WD Trail Finder 2 is very popular and has 3 bolt-on body options. The Gelande 2 platform also has multiple body options. Either of those can be made quite capable with a few mods. The new SSD Trail King shares it’s basic architecture with the 10.2 but has much better components and a scale drivetrain, lending itself to builds with full interiors and engine bays. And GCM Racing has several platforms (CMAX, Skeleton and Delta) that make for fun and capable hardbody builds.

Ultimately, it depends on what you want for your first truck - something that looks incredibly realistic but has somewhat limited usability, or something that has a lot more usability but perhaps at the expense of some scale realism. If it were me, I’d start with the 10.2 or TRX-4 Sport kit and a body that you like. If you choose a Lexan body, you can paint it on the outside for even more realism (check out my Element Enduro, Ascender Bronco and 10.2 XJ threads for examples). After you build one of those and run it a bit, you’ll have a better foundation to decide on your next build.

Good luck with your decision!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Complete Noob, lots o questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not a complete Noob.... but new to the AX10 Scopepts Axial AX-10 Scorpion 42 06-18-2013 12:17 PM
Complete noob, tell me what to buy...please Motorhead Newbie General 2 03-20-2010 09:42 AM
Complete Noob here!!! FHMan1905 Newbie General 5 12-12-2009 12:08 PM
Lots Of Noob Crawler Questions kerosinek Newbie General 12 06-27-2006 07:15 PM
Lots of TLT questions from a noob joshm101 Newbie General 19 04-20-2006 03:26 PM