Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First crawler build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First crawler build!

Like the title implies I am just starting my venture in the RC crawling world. Love the idea of a scale rig and slow climbing rocks all of sudden!

Typically I am racing buggies at the track but with all the recent changes and closures I found myself still wanting to run my RC but having no where to do so with a purpose. I am not really into just "bashing around" I like to drive like I said," with a purpose" and that's when, while doing some yard work and day dreaming of ways to still run an RC without needing track, it hit me and I decided to look into crawling. I like the goal oriented aspect I see in crawling as well as all the detail that can go into a build!

Yes, I did say while doing yard work, LOL! Reason being is I have a rather large pond in with a stream and lots of rocks and it dawned on me with a little tweaking here and there I already have my own crawling course in my back yard!

Well I started this thinking I could post pics, maybe its because I am new but I can't seem to attach pics?

I will post some pics as soon as I got that figured out. In the mean time I will continue to scour the site for info while I start my TRX4 sport crawler build.

Thanks!
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First crawler build!

Welcome! I just picked up my first crawler a few weeks ago. I also went with the TRX4 Sport Kit! It's great, you're going to love it!

The guys here have been super helpful. I had the same question about the pics and someone provided this link. Very simple to follow along, I just recommend going with "large thumbnail" instead of "huge thumbnail" in the last step.

Imgur - Embedding and Posting Photos

Looking forward to seeing the course you build!
Scale Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Some pictures of the area that got me inspired. Haven't done anything to it yet to make actual routes but can already see some challenging lines I want to try out.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/191639800@N06/7EGjM2

I will probably build some bridges and ramps in various, but strategic locations. This is going to be as fun as the build it self is for me!
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

TBuggy - Welcome to the forum! I also run go-fast rigs as well as crawlers. They're both a blast in their own unique ways. My backyard course started much like yours. I had a lot of rockwalls and landscaping that were readily conducive to become a crawler course. It has since expanded a good bit more by adding wooden bridges, pallet features, etc. (Your yard looks awesome btw). You definitely have yourself a ready made course there with some tweaks. The thing I do really like about crawling versus racing / go-fast rigs is it's a lot more relaxing to me. There's something really cool about creating lines in a course and them working them with the rig.

As far as posting pics, you can do it like you did above and just add a link, or you can purchase a membership star here on the forums to post direct.

Please post updates to your course and your rig as things evolve!

Last edited by mewalsh100; 01-04-2021 at 01:54 PM.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the world of RC crawling!

I have a similar background as you. I used to be into 10th scale buggies, but my local track closed and I grew tired of some of the attitudes in that scene as well. Crawling is a great way to continue the love of RC and enjoy the outdoors as well, and the best thing is, you do not need a track at a brick and mortar building!

Another way to post pics is to download the Tapatalk app. That will allow you to post single pics at a time from your phone/iPad.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

That's a great bunch of rocks you have to start with!

1/10 scale crawlers are very well suited to taking on hiking trails, so depending on your local geography you may be able to find lots of good places to crawl, beyond your own property.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote

First crawler build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
maxx crawler build Never even driven a crawler jh1985 Traxxas Crawlers 2 07-21-2011 02:04 PM
Practice build before I build a real crawler. jm8881 General Crawlers 46 03-13-2005 09:21 PM
TXT Crawler.... Stone Cold Crawler... Full Tube Scale build RockSpyder Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 12-14-2004 09:40 AM