Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: U-joint won't bend; brand new part!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2022, 11:52 AM   #1

Default U-joint won't bend; brand new part!

I've been playing with RCs for about two years now, but strictly RTRs, and I haven't needed to do many repairs yet, so still very much a newb on service and maintenance issues.

I'm starting a new project and bought Redcat Gen8 Transfer Case Drive Shaft Set, as seen here:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/redcat-...r11336/p884081

Brand new, right out of the bag, one of the four pivots doesn't want to bend. I can make it move by hand, but only with extreme force. It would never run in a rig like this. I'm assuming it's bad and I should return it, but wanted to make sure I'm not being dumb.

It it were all metal, I'd try oiling it to see if that might help, but it's part plastic, and I'm wary of damaging the plastic with oils.

Any advice? Is this normal? Are there simple things I should try that might loosen it up? Or should I just return it? Thanks!
ebeowulf17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: U-joint won't bend; brand new part!

You are right. They should move freely in all directions with no binding. Send them back.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

If it was all metal, I would "work it" until it loosened up and use a fine penetrating oil to work it.

There are plastic-safe lubricants out there, I have a 7 pack assortment called Hob-E-Lube but there are others.

There's no guarantee that the replacement set you buy will be better, but tight(er) is better than too loose.
I'd probably return it, it seems abnormal and a manufacturing defect.
Undead Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
You are right. They should move freely in all directions with no binding. Send them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Jeeper View Post
If it was all metal, I would "work it" until it loosened up and use a fine penetrating oil to work it.

There are plastic-safe lubricants out there, I have a 7 pack assortment called Hob-E-Lube but there are others.

There's no guarantee that the replacement set you buy will be better, but tight(er) is better than too loose.
I'd probably return it, it seems abnormal and a manufacturing defect.
Cool, many thanks to both of you! I'm gonna return it. I got a few other driveshafts to experiment with (Axial and Hot Racing) at the same time as this one, and the rest all seem perfect, so don't really need this anyway at this point.
ebeowulf17 is offline   Reply With Quote

U-joint won't bend; brand new part! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brazing help! Adding to existing joint? Joint Repair? Propane Tools, and Procedures 10 11-20-2011 10:19 PM
which driveshaft to get ??? 97mm joint to joint DAN8701 General Crawlers 0 05-02-2010 12:25 PM
part #33, output joint, alloy upgrade? STANG KILLA SS Duratrax Cliff Climber 14 11-11-2008 08:02 AM