Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #21
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler.

Second that. My Trail King was a pleasure to build. Really good quality, especially for the price. If price is not an obstacle then Vanquish is where you want to be.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I would tend to agree the RTR has some things skipped over to keep costs down however as of late almost all RTRs have good metal links for suspension and steering. Really the only drawback for the RTR is the ESC in most cases, after that tires.

As for where to start, you cant go wrong either way, kit or RTR. Do you want to get to crawling right away or are you good waiting a few weeks until you build a kit and get all your parts lined up?

Id prolly have to recommend the Redcat Gen 8 Scout or the bigger Marksman due to the sale they are having if you go RTR.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #23

Thing is I don't want to buy something that I will regret. Been down that road to many times. I am very competitive. Building a kit is no problem. There is always tips and tricks that I like to do on the build. I watch YouTube videos of comps here in Arkansas most are running portal axles, due to the rocks we have. Some are taking a cheap crawler but then putting Vanquish Portal Axles under it. Damn that's not cheap. Why not just start with a VS4-10 kit? Sorry guys I think things out. Senior Master Ford line tech by trade. 42 years. Thanks for the help.
Tech-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:50 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I dont think you will regret any of the recommendations that were mentioned here. Worst case is you end up with a rig you less like but makes a good loaner rig to get other friends into crawling, or a rig that you will drive with less concern for breakage like in mud holes or big hill climbs, or something like i did, rob the parts and build a custom chassis crawler like the GSpeed or Rock Pirates.

Another recommendation for a more basic/cheaper RTR is what if you decide you dont like crawling like you thought you would? At least then you dont have as much tied up in something more expensive like a tricked out Vanquish kit.

Nothing wrong at all with starting with the Vanquish kit. But would you be using the dig function or 2 speed, are those features you are interested in?

As for portals, some like em, some dont. I dont think they are required. They have their pros and cons just like everything else. Same goes for suspension types. The Element Gatekeeper is running a trailing arm rear suspension like the Axial Bomber. That functions a little different than a traditional 4 link. Seems to handle a little better at speed but doesnt flex quite as well on the rocks.

Each truck with their different features are what will ultimately get you to having multiple rigs. One for this terrrain, one for that, one for hard core crawling, one set up to do hill cimbs, one for mud bogs, one for super scale realism, etc etc
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I keep thinking Capra or TRX4 Sport. I feel like that's a cop-out these days with things like the VS4 and Trail King available out there. But I dunno... the Capra and TRX4 both have portals, are very capable with some tweaks and the right tires/ foams, and won't break the bank. Add in a half-way decent radio/ receiver, strong steering servo, a HW wp1080 ESC, and some decent tires/ foams and you're set.

I can't speak of the Vanquish and SSD and it seems they're both better in some regards but the TRX4 and Capra are seriously capable right off the bat and especially with a handful of performance-based upgrades.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:27 PM   #26

Trail king has a Chevy engine in it. I am out on that. Diehard Ford man! ��
Old 10-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #27
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech-7 View Post
Trail king has a Chevy engine in it. I am out on that. Diehard Ford man! ��
Lol!

I don't even run the fake engine in my Trail King even though I took the time to make it look like it really should.

My Capra is very capable but I seem to gravitate to the scale look more frequently, and that's what I tend to build more. Like I said before, build (not buy RTR) what appeals to you and if need be, take more time to buy the components you want on it. You'll be happier in the long run.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 07:57 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Trail king has a Chevy engine in it
That's about the only reason I'm not using the scale engine.
Fake Chevy engine in my fake jeep? Now that would just be silly.
If I find a fake I-6 that'll hide the motor, then we'll talk. And I probably still won't use it cause you'll never see it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 10-21-2022 at 08:00 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:33 AM   #29

Lol! Was just kidding... But ok.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:02 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
That's about the only reason I'm not using the scale engine.
Fake Chevy engine in my fake jeep? Now that would just be silly.
If I find a fake I-6 that'll hide the motor, then we'll talk. And I probably still won't use it cause you'll never see it.

How about a fake Chevy engine in a Fake Toyota?

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:05 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

[QUOTE=lonleycreeper;6124882]How about a fake Chevy engine in a Fake Toyota?

[/QUOTE
thats acctually a thing i saw it on the tv many years ago from what i herd its hard on axles so you need to get the machined ring and pinnion gears lol but you know that already
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:00 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Quote:

You could put it on a fake engine stand in your fake garage.
Goos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Wait wait wait, yall tellin me these are fake trucks? With fake engines? I heard they was real, thats why i bought one, or two, maybe even seven.... Lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:36 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Lol! Was just kidding... But ok.
I got that. I was only joking as well but the joke may have gotten lost on its way from my brain to my finger tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
How about a fake Chevy engine in a Fake Toyota?
That's blasphemous! You're going to tiny truck heck for conjuring such an absurd monstrosity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Wait wait wait, yall tellin me these are fake trucks? With fake engines? I heard they was real, thats why i bought one, or two, maybe even seven.... Lol
Yeah pal. I'm sorry you had to find out this way. I'm going to rip another band-aid off real quick, Santa's not real either.

Last edited by smc-93; 10-24-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That's blasphemous and you're going to tiny truck heck for conjuring suck an absurd monstrosity!
Yesssss!

I like heck.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #36

Pontiac with a Toyota engine?

My kid works in a shop/garage, sees some weird stuff.
kistner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #37

Ok back to the real post. I have narrowed it down to 3 build kits. Traxxas trx 4 sport, axial scx10, Vanquish Phoenix portal. I know there is a big price difference in these 3. For a starter crawler which one? axial scx10 has no portal axles but is the cheapest. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:57 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok back to the real post. I have narrowed it down to 3 build kits. Traxxas trx 4 sport, axial scx10, Vanquish Phoenix portal. I know there is a big price difference in these 3. For a starter crawler which one? axial scx10 has no portal axles but is the cheapest. Thanks everyone for your input.
My votes on the TRX4 kit. It's middle the road and comes with everything (basic stuff) you need to get running.

Followed in close second by the 10.2 kit. It's the cheapest option, easiest to work on, light and capable. But you'll have to buy a full set of electronics, a body, wheels and tires.

If you're already prepared to buy electronics (etc.) Right off the bat, get the scx10.

Old 10-26-2022, 12:03 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If you are wanting to build for comp and starting with an RTR I would recommend and Axial. I would recommend a base comp.

If you are build for comp sooner or later the only thing you will probably be left with are the axles.

The TRX is a beast but just not a good platform for comp. The steering isn't the greatest and the skid is massive, it is just begging to be high center. if you are building for comp will eventual replace most of it so why pay for vanquish, save your money for upgrades.

Out of the box I really think the Basecamp will be the best performer and as far as building for comp axial is the place to start.

If no teh Axial basecamp then the scx10ii
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 12:22 PM   #40

If I go axial what upgrades would be needed? Axles? Plan on using it for comps. ESC hobbywing 1080, motor Holmes Hobbies, servos I have questions with? any Ideas? Thanks

Newbie Looking for help with a 1/10 scale crawler. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie here Hi ! First Crawler (Losi Night Crawler) First run on rocks video. Rearwheelin Videos! 4 07-05-2016 10:21 PM
What's best for newbie scale or crawler? The_Know_It_All Newbie General 29 07-03-2015 03:21 AM
Scale Crawler question from a newbie tommckay Axial SCX-10 9 07-29-2009 04:10 PM
newbie tlt scale crawler/trail truck c0astie31 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 02-18-2007 11:42 AM