Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tire/Wheel venting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tire/Wheel venting

So I’ve been reading, and watching a bunch on venting tires and/or wheels.

I understand that faster cars can make good use of venting the tire to expel water, but is this a thing with crawler rigs that at best do 7mph?

So I started looking at venting the wheels, but watching how most were doing it, I have to ask will this even work with closed cell dual stage foams, or even 3D printed foams?

I actually bought a decent set of tires, if I can avoid it, I’d rather not punch a bunch of holes in them.

I am also looking at the dual stage hair bun mod, as this seems to work well, and the hair buns are reportedly more water resistant (they don’t rot) than open cell foam.

I figured IF I can still vent the wheel, I could thread the hole (say 3mm) and if/when I know I will see water, I could put in a set screw to keep water out…losing my venting, but only temporarily.
If not, I can still use the stock wheels in wet ares.

Was going to put this in the tire sub forum, but I’m thinking it’s still a pretty newb question, so here we are.

Thoughts?

Last edited by IronArcher; 05-03-2023 at 08:07 PM.
IronArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2023, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tire/Wheel venting

I always vent because I get more consistent performance out of my tires and foams that way.

I always vent the tire because I use dual stage foams with closed cell inners.

I avoid water and mud like the plague because I don’t want to clean and I don’t like rusty squeaky rigs. But I vent in the tread in case I do encounter moisture, hopefully it will just drain out of the tire.

I haven’t had an issue with adding vent holes to tires.

Other members likely have different opinions because like most things, there is more than one way to skin a cat…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:45 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I've said it on here before and I'll say it again: a tire with an insert is semi-pneumatic, so if the rim or tire isn't vented, the tire isn't going to work properly.
Use a leather punch, put two 4mm holes in each tire, and you're done. If any water gets in, you can always spin the water out. If you think water can't get into a non-vented tire, you're in for a stinky surprise.
You don't even need speed to get the water out-- water will always seek the lowest point, so I can watch water pump out of my tires even when crawling at super-low speeds.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I also vent the tires from a performance standpoint. Let’s the tire and foam do their job and act like an aired down tire. I don’t vent wheels because the lil nova foams I run seal off any vent holes in the wheel. Buy a leather punch, makes clean holes and I’ve never seen a tire I’ve punched get torn from that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I know some people don't vent their tires but I dont see how that can possibly perform as well as vented tires. It is stopping the foams from operating as intended and temperature swings (or altitude changes) are going to further change it due to the air density. I've seen folks show up and their tires looked like all the air had been sucked out by a vacuum.

I vent all my tires with a leather punch. You can get them pretty cheap at Harbor Freight or Amazon. Nice clean hole. I've never had a tire rip at or near the hole. Usually, when I have tire damage it is on the sidewall from being pinched. I avoid mud and water, but if I did go through it regularly, I'd have my tires set up with a set of closed cell foams and take them apart to clean them after a mud run.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Personally I will never punch a hole in the tire it’s self, however I will always put one in the rim.

Holes in the tires make me cringe. For many of my cars I try to avoid water and mud. I have ran tires with holes in the treads like others and no problems either. Most of the damage is in the sidewall or worn lugs being ripped when bound up.

Last edited by hnoroian; 05-05-2023 at 08:56 AM.
hnoroian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire/Wheel venting - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire venting desertdude Newbie General 13 06-24-2015 04:49 PM
Tire or Wheel Venting ???? Raceaholic General Scale Talk 8 04-07-2013 06:56 PM
Venting wheel/tire Stewdogg Newbie General 6 12-16-2009 12:23 AM
Tire / Wheel Venting TC09mini Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 09-29-2009 01:03 PM
Tire Venting vs. Wheel Venting kawika Tires and Wheels 2 07-08-2007 09:29 PM