Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: A new Mullit Machine - IROC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
20K Club

Wow man, you are killing it with this build. Absoulutely fantastic work.

Posting to subscribe and looking forward to more
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #22
RCC Addict

as far as the brakes go you are right but this car won't be bashed or used a lot. thats how the original got messed up. the front touring car with disk brake is a good idea and is actually the only way to make the linelock function acuratly and simply i debated it over and over again, but im going to opt out due to the fact i don't have the stuff already.

as far as the wheels they look nice but they are really small and use a oring as a tire. i want the car to be drivable without distroying the wheels. i would love to get a set if they were made for tires.

yep i spoke to the guy today and i have a tracking # now should be here monday then the real fun. and long nights begin

got my tower order in and have already started hacking the rims, and measuring stuff.

thanks and stay tuned. lots more to come
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #23
RCC Addict

what does everyone think about a castle 5700 motor with a hpi gear reduction as the drivetrain. it would be super compact(may fit inside model motor). the gear reduction is all metal with bearings, and has about 7.4/1 ratio. may have to go with a lot lower kv motor. not sure if it will be enough reduction or any idea of the speed. i am trying to crunch the numbers. but man that setup would make everything so much easier.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Hell yes on the 5700!! But I have the HPI unit and I dont think i would handle the 5700, I would go for something with hardened steel gears..

I was thinking you could use those wheels by pressing them into a hoop you could have machined. But you are right, it is too small andthe o-ring would not hold up!!

I have an idea for working disk brakes on the front by using brake disks from other models, like a CEN Nemesis that already has a hex in the center.. Just a thought
The Real Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #25
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You will need more reduction for such a motor. You could get away with less reduction if you used an outrunner for the power. Didn't you try that origionally?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Hmmm, this looks quite interesting. I have a 60's Camaro model that would be pretty cool if I could drive it. I think I found my next project.
BTW: Damn fine job on that rear suspension!

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #27
RCC Addict

thanks guys, on my other car i tried doing a direct drive off an outrunner. i never could get rid of the cogging. the car is 2wd but very heavy and has lots of traction with foams. i would like to see one of those reductions in person to look at the quality. there no doubt its gonna be under some stress. im curious to see how long the axle hold up before i have to buy hardened r/p. i just really really want to keep the engine bay and interior as close to legit as possible. the battery is going to be tough enough as it is. i don't care a whole lot for the outrunners cause they can be a little confusing and from my past experiences very tempermental. the last time i tried that route it cost me a lot of money when it didn't work. if you have an idea though mr. holmes let me know cause its the biggest obstical i forsee in the build. i was waiting to hear how the setup King Cobra had in his 57 chevy worked out. anyone know of another good inline gear reduction. i know rc4wd makes one........

ok well here are some pics of my rims. they are original stampede rims. the plan is to narrow the fronts, and make styrene inserts to replicate Weld Racing Draglite wheels. then i will try to chrome them with special chrome paint. this could open up a whole new world of wheels options.......

basic drill press/xacto knife slice and dice

use back portion to trace circle. almost perfect fit if you use a sharpe pencil.

test fit and sand edges

blank canvas..........

inserts are a latter update.........onto narrowing. these rims have to be the easiest rims ever to narrow. the outer lip fits perfectly over the inner rim. flip cut portion slide over the rim and glue. trim off the excess and vuala, the rims you need that traxxas never made. there is even that little edge so you reallt can't screw it up.

you could even make supe wide rears....if you wanted to

clearence is a little better than the 2.8 wheels

Last edited by looneybin; 04-23-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #28
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There has been advancement in sensorless control since the last build, but sensors could be added for rock solid startups. Still got the old motor?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #29
RCC Addict

no i sold it off when i went with the inrunner. do they make sensored outrunners now. i would buy another if i could get a reliable setup. do you have more info John or any direction i should look into?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #30
RCC Addict

ok well a huge callenge was accomplished today. the rim inserts. styrene can be easy to work with but getting this proportioned right and making them smooth was going to be hard. i am very happy with how the first one turned out. thanks to careful layout, and a little luck i think i almost nailed them first shot. i still have to make the other three but man what a relief. now i can just transfer copies over onto more styrene and not have to fight witht the measurements. these will be getting 1.6mm or 2mm hardware for studs and lugnuts. not functional but will look scale as hell, plus check this, the metal shop up the road actually carries hardware that small i will have to get them super smooth, glue them up, spray them black and then start playing with the alclad chrome paint. tell me what you guys think?

weld racing draglite wheels

refrence material

initial layout

before i cut the hole in the center i replaced my cut-off wheel on my dremel with the center peice and on low speed sanded a bevel with some fine sand paper

notched for holes........

look pretty good but somethings missing......

ahh thats it...

mocked up in the rear but will end up sitting deeper in the rims. there it a slight taper so i will have to make the rears i little smaller

Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Nice work.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #32
RCC Addict

quick update befor work. i'll get back with details and steps in a few. all the wheels are done now just need paint.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

As far as the HPI gear reduction I have been using one in my crawler pushed by a Novak SS 5800 for over a month now running full throttle a lot during trail running with zero problems.
Sounds like a high powered drill but no problems.

Awesome to see you building another one of these super cool cars :thumbsup:
zueslilbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 AM   #34
RCC Addict

ok well i got a little work done. going to get metal now so i can fab up the reast of the frame.

i went back and forth on whether to do it or not but i finnally added some filler.

some black enamel. ooooohhhh smooth

little flat black

paint disaster. i hate painting..........

luckily i was able to remove the paint and not have to redo the rims. plus i only painted the rears so the fronts were still safe.

looky what i got. there was some confusion as to what year it was but that will be addressed later.

fuel cell...... with as heavy as this car is going to be it will need all the help it can get launching.

neat tires, very scale, think i'll sell them............

few mock ups

Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Wow, that is really nice. That sucks about the wheels. What size is that model? Is/was it made by Monogram?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #36
RCC Addict

its 1/8 scale and yea its by monogram. wheels will be ok just got to prime and sand some more. they will be done by the end of the week so i can mount the tires which are on there way got the other half of the frame started and started making the cowl hood but i have to run to work.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I remember seeing the first build on thirdgen.org, it came out sick as hell. Ive always thought pro stars look better on a third gen though. ;) haha anyways this is coming out sick!!
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Very Cool!!!!!
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #39
Sinking with the ship

Looks great man, I really like how you did the wheels and all. If you talk to KC, I think his very 1st camaro was done similar. He used the model chassis and used parts from I think a grass hopper or a hornet.
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:02 PM   #40
RCC Addict

i have gotten a lot done on the frame. turns out it is going to be a full frame car now. got the crossmember for the transmission mounted and front body mounts figured out. i need to decide on the front arms and such so i can finnish the frame. i worked out the motor/trans idea and it will be much like the tubed chassised one but better thought out and hidden. i need to pick up some glue so i can get the engine built make motor mounts and fab up some headers. whole bunch to do and i will update when i can steal the camera back from the wife.