Old 08-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #41
RCC Addict

ohh, i see.

glad to hear you got the issues fixed!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the rear axle parts breakdown. I'll use the list for when I start breaking stuff, which probably won't take too long on 3S or 4S batteries.

You upgraded the slash trans at all?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army RC Crawler View Post
I built the whole rear end using info from RCCrawler.com and from my previous Crawler build which used WK axles as well. I'll have more info and pics on the rear suspension in an upcoming post. Stay tuned...

Where in MN are you located? I'm moving to the Twin Cities in October.
im in the rochester area, theres a few guys up in the city area to, theres a good track just out side of rochester that you should try in the summer.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Thanks for the rear axle parts breakdown. I'll use the list for when I start breaking stuff, which probably won't take too long on 3S or 4S batteries.

You upgraded the slash trans at all?
I have only slightly upgraded the trans with an Aluminum case and a FLM diff, but that was done to the 2wd Slash tranny before I ever thought of this project. And I did those mods just because, it's not like they failed or anything, the Traxxas 2wd trans can really handle a lot of abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
I'm in the Rochester area, there's a few guys up in the city area to, there's a good track just out side of Rochester that you should try in the summer.
Oh ok, thanks. I'm gonna go to school in Mankato so I'll be around the area.
Army RC Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

Default Drive Train

For the drive-train I used the Venom Aluminum trans out of my 2wd Slash. I had originally planned to do the entire solid axle swap on the 2wd but then I got the bright idea to use the 4x4 chassis. I have seen the 2wd trans used on countless Crawler builds so I knew it would hold up. The only weak spot is the differential in the 2wd trans, but I had already upgraded it to a sealed Aluminum one made by Fast Lane Machine. For the 4x4 Trophy Truck build it was also filled with OFNA Diff Lock Lube like the rear axle diff. Also, the front drive shaft is from the stock 2wd Slash and I've had no issues with it at all.

The motor driving the truck is the sensored Novak Ballistic 550 @ 4.5t 5000Kv with the Novak GTB2 for the speed control. I had to use such a high Kv motor because of the extreme reduction of the 2wd trans coupled with the secondary reduction at the axle. I also had to gear the motor and trans with a 50t spur and 28t pinion to over come the reduction. The way it sits now on 2s its Theoretical Maximum Speed should be about 30 MPH.

I'm looking for a new ESC that will allow 3s, the GTB2 will only handle 2s. On 3s and a slight gear reduction to a 22T pinion I can theoretically reach 36 MPH, have more torque, longer run times (with same mah batt.), and it will keep motor temps down.

Last edited by Army RC Crawler; 08-07-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Default Rear Suspension

Here's a better look at the rear suspension. I used 117mm shocks for a HPI MT2. In the picture are some red buggy springs which turned out to be too stiff so I went back to the original springs that came with the shocks. For the rear 4-link I used Revo Aluminum push rods for the uppers. The lowers are made of white cutting board sandwiched with 7075 Aluminum sheet. The cutting board was Dremeled out where the shock end attaches and on the ends it was drilled for threaded studs with rod ends. The plan was to use something lighter than solid Aluminum stock and easier to work with, plus I already had the stuff laying around...

The rear sway bar is essential to fight the torque twist. If it isn't used the truck will constantly pull the front right tire off the ground every time the throttle is pulled. The sway bar is intended for the 2wd Slash and made by Hot Racing I think. Since the picture was taken I have lengthened and strengthened the connecting rods from the sway bar to the axle.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Wow man, just wow. This thing is pretty cool, can't wait for a vid...cause I bet it's even more awesome in person
jaydubya2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I took some video the other day but it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I'm gonna edit it this weekend (hopefully) and see if I can post it on YouTube later.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Here's a couple more pics from the skate park bash/test session that I forgot to post. ...enjoy

Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #50
RCC Addict

man that thing looks smexy and incredibly aggresive!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the complements! I'm working on a video of the truck but I have a lot of footage to cut down and edit so it's taking a while. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #52

Army, can you put together a parts list? I wanna do this but I want to build a 2wd version. Thanks!
tviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

So awesome man keep it up

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

Default Parts Break Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tviz View Post
Army, can you put together a parts list? I wanna do this but I want to build a 2wd version. Thanks!
Sorry I took forever to get this up I've been busy moving back from Korea.

A good start is just picking up a rear axle, I just borrowed the one off of my crawler at first for mock up. A complete Wheely King axle can be found on eBay, as well as the straight axle lock-outs, wheel wideners, HD Axial diff gears, and Aluminum diff case. The axle parts are all must have parts for durability.

After that you'd need the Traxxas 2wd transmission; the cheapest I could find was eBay for a brand new, complete trans. I run 32p gears on the tranny: 50t spur (Traxxas) and 28t pinion (Castle) with 5000kv 550 size motor on 2s, 22t pinion on 3s. The motor system of your choice (I recommend 550 size brushless with 3s). 550 size motor is a requirement for a 4x4. Then all you really need is some Aluminum sheet and your major components list is done.

Odds and ends... Traxxas T/E-Maxx driveshaft for the rear, stock Slash/Rustler driveshaft for the front (4x4 only), WK battery box, hardware, All-Thread, and tube for the chassis braces.

(((The highlighted links are the same parts I used)))

Last edited by Army RC Crawler; 09-28-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Me no spell good.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #55

Default Re: Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck!

would this set up not work on the 2wd slash?
shapinoweno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapinoweno View Post
would this set up not work on the 2wd slash?
It could if you had a lcg and wanted to keep it 2wd.

You would need a stock traxxas lcg 2wd chassis for the rear side plates to mount up easier in the og battery tray.

You wouldnt need to cut much for a axial trans. You could also use a wk trans but it would put the motor high centered. IMO opinion.

-tony

Nice build btw army guy. I was stationed in sk for 2 years. Hope you had a good time.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/323007-slash-4x4-trophy-truck.html
Posted By For Type Date
XC's Custom Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build Thread This thread Refback 02-25-2013 09:16 PM
Thread Slash 4x4 Trophy Truck! | RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board | BoardReader This thread Refback 10-04-2011 02:43 PM