Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My HPI Mini-Trophy Truck!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 02-06-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Not sure yet, probably going to get one of the GH servo horns for it. If you are not going to be bashing it on the street, glueing the servo horn is not a bad plan. On a dirt track, there should not be mush to hit that would yank you wheels the opposite direct of your servo. Like a curb.
neillarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
RCC Addict

And Rick, holy shit is that Flux system fast. running a 5000HRr 25C hard case it is like driving a drifter on the road. But for sure too much sag. Iam going to pickup a couple pair of Big Bores this weekend and try running one set with springs and one set without. on the rear.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Have you found a way to clear the second shock hole on those trail rear arms?

Got mine all ripped apart last night.

Those stock tires are hard. seams worst then stock Tracks Slash tires.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
And Rick, holy shit is that Flux system fast. running a 5000HRr 25C hard case it is like driving a drifter on the road. But for sure too much sag. Iam going to pickup a couple pair of Big Bores this weekend and try running one set with springs and one set without. on the rear.
Hell yeah! We should get some onroad tires and run them indoors too. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
Have you found a way to clear the second shock hole on those trail rear arms?
I dont know what you mean?
There is a plastic cover on the top of the rear trailing arms that you can just pop off and the second rear shock is pretty much plug & play. You might have to use a longer rod end on the end of the shock shaft, depending on what shock your running. Or, Ive seen people put spacer(s) on the shock shaft to hold the lower spring retainer up higher to simulate a longer rod end.

I got my ford body painted up last night, gonna sticker it up tonight. Im waiting on a couple of things still. We should try to have them ready by the 18th to do a little play racing!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by die-laughing View Post
Hell yeah! We should get some onroad tires and run them indoors too. Lol.

I dont know what you mean?
There is a plastic cover on the top of the rear trailing arms that you can just pop off and the second rear shock is pretty much plug & play. You might have to use a longer rod end on the end of the shock shaft, depending on what shock your running. Or, Ive seen people put spacer(s) on the shock shaft to hold the lower spring retainer up higher to simulate a longer rod end.

I
I didn't know they just popped off. It was early am.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
RCC Addict

couple new pics.. damn cell phone pictures!

I put the Tamiya Rock Cruiser tires on some old rims that came with a TT-01 enzo I had laying around.. they look alright but, mostly on there to enhance the pictures. I have different wheels in mind.

got my F-150 body...

painted it black...

thought about leaving it all black but then, I put the decals on it and I like it better with a little bit of color yet, still clean & simple..

I want to get a on-road wheel/tire setup for this beast and run it LOW...

also.. I want to ziptie some screen pieces to my rollcage to keep the dirt chunks & debree out of the interior and out of the motor fan.
I want to make some rubber mudflaps as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

New body looks nice. You should dress up that hood a little with some of those blues.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Those wheels are tight! Do you have a part number?

Body looks great too. Ive been thinking about getting the Ford body.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

That body is saweet, the tiny hints of blue definitely set it off! Excellent looking truck
RockEd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Those wheels are tight! Do you have a part number?

Body looks great too. Ive been thinking about getting the Ford body.
Thanks. The wheels can be found on Towerhobbies website. Search for hpi 26mm wheels. The vintage series wheels wont work but, most of the onroad touring car wheels will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockEd out View Post
That body is saweet, the tiny hints of blue definitely set it off! Excellent looking truck
Thanks! Im happy with the body. The stock body would be pretty cool too if all the stickers were removed or replaced but, it would still be white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydee1800 View Post
New body looks nice. You should dress up that hood a little with some of those blues.
Thanks. Hey, be careful running 3s on the sidewinder.. Ive been reading a lot of horror storys. Im going to keep it on 2s.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by die-laughing View Post

Thanks. Hey, be careful running 3s on the sidewinder.. Ive been reading a lot of horror storys. Im going to keep it on 2s.
I saw that as well. I have no need to run 3s plus I have geared down.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I think the Ivan Stewart body is kicking. My second choice would be the raptor though.

I think you are going to need soft tires to run that track you guys are planning as frozen packed dirt is about the same as concrete and mine on 2S will spin all 4 on the pavement.

I know on the SCs, most had switched to barcodes just before I sold all of mine. The are like racing tires on motorcycles that essentially give you lots of rubber contact for straight ahead and tread for cornering. Some of the Road Racing tires from IMEX might work, stiff enough but I would be worried that they are too short so, I am thinking taped and stuffed Grabbers, Prowlers, Creepers, Tomahawks or Mud Countrys would work, but, you would probably need to take them to a grinder and take off the corner so they would slide a little while cornering.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post

I think you are going to need soft tires to run that track you guys are planning as frozen packed dirt is about the same as concrete and mine on 2S will spin all 4 on the pavement.

What a matter neillarson your not racing any more?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 02-17-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Rick, did you have any issues with the front shocks? Mine are extremely slow to rebound. I am getting ready to tear them down, add another vent hole on the piston, or replace it if there are others in the bag and maybe sand the piston a little. Right now I have the print preload down about 3/8th of an inch and the front end still takes a me significant amount of time to rebound.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I had an accident with one of the front shocks involving a needle nose pliers going through the shock body so, I switched to the blitz front shock but, havent put them on yet because im waiting for my servo to get here.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:10 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

That ford body looks bad assNice work
S ARR T 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Default Re: My HPI Mini-Trophy Truck!

Little bit of an update...

New look. Prowler XS tires are duct tape strapped and stuffed with half width 2.2 foams, mounted on some lightly polished steel beadlocks.
Representin' Addicted Offroad, the guys that made the winch bumper for my 1:1 toyota.

New suspension setup.
I went with the Blitz front shocks because I broke a stock trophy truck shock body. the Blitz front are a little on the long side causing too much droop allowing the dogbone to nearly fall out of place.. so, I had to take them apart and limit down travel even more. So, they are basically the same as the trophy shock except better internals & upgradable. I went with 30w oil in the front and used the trophy truck spring.
For the rear I'm running the trophy shock/spring in the forward location with 30w oil and then in the rear location I'm running a Blitz shock, no spring and 70w oil. This setup feels really good and I'm anxious it get it on some dirt.

anyone looking to try a different tire? I have dirt grabbers and rock cruisers along with the stockers.

and... I painted the body on my other rig yesterday.. I'm ready to get on some rocks/trails!
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Default Re: My HPI Mini-Trophy Truck!

I would like to try out the grabbers. How much do you want for them?