Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Ofna JL10e Shafty rally conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ofna JL10e Shafty rally conversion

so i had originally bought this for drifting, but i ended up getting a hpi belt driven car to drift with and instead of having two drifters i decided to try a rally car.

this was the way it sat as a drifter and lived life as a R34 GTR

this all started when i cut a on road tire up out of boredome and ended up with this

the rear wheels have since been replaced. offroad and going fast is no place for a deep lipped wheel.

^^^lol

my end result for the most part. still want mudflaps and a rally light pod. some other odds and ends.

custom color i made at work.

short clip of a backyard romp
IMG_2872.MOV - YouTube
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ofna JL10e Shafty rally conversion

I dont want to take over your thread here. I just think its killer someone is oing the same thing I did. This is the exact car I have and did the same thing, bought it to Drift, discovered drifting is not my thing, sliding on a track or just for doing it, is gay to me, so went Rally with mine too.

Excuse the body, hobby shops are like hens teeth here, this is a body that came on my Yokomo when I got it used. I need to warn you, get some spare front knuckles, I have not even taken mine offroad yet and by bumping a curb while not going fast(5mph) during testing, it broke the lower bolt hole ear right off. Being stuck here in the Philippines, I have to wait till I get moved back home to the states to get replacements, ordering anything out of country, gets you a letter to come to the customs office, where they whip out this magical calculator and start slamming in numbers to come up with a mystical figure. I bought $12 worth of parts from Hong Kong, customs punched in their figures and charged me $22, so my $12 purchase cost me $34(pay it or they keep them) worth of duty fees for them. Saying OFNA gets me a stupid look when I mention them at one of the few and far between hobby shops here. If its not Tamiya, Hot Bodies(though they never heard of HPI???), Yokomo or Axial, forget it in this stinking place.

Stock JL10E chassis
Tamiya RZ 23T Sport Tune motor
Moped ESC
Cheap Futaba 3003 servo
Futaba 3PJ 40mhz TX/RX

Its all stock, I got the 1 & 3/8" of belly clearance from simply changing the shock positions and adding heavy 12lb Yokomo Orange Springs and medium preload spacers.

Changes to come...
Different Lid, this one is FUGLY as f**k all!
Ball link the steering to eliminate slop, this things steering is looser then a $2 whore on 1/2 off day.
Full Aluminum Skid plate to protect the full carbon fiber chassis.
Pull the 25t pinion and go for a 30t for more speed.
Better servo and waterproof the whore.

Last edited by blackfoot; 02-13-2012 at 05:21 AM.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Don't get me wrong I love me some drifting, but the sense of having two drifters just wasn't exciting me. I have always wanted a rally car (actually restoring a ta02 at the moment as well.) since I got into RC. I got my chassis lift by using the option arm hangers. They will actually lift up the lower arm a bit for more travel.

Im glad SOMEONE finally commented on it so don't worry about thread jacking. Hopefully I will have a bit more video to share as well.

I need a dust cover something fierce so that's next on the list. Tho last night I discovered a free spinning left front wheel (ball diffs are jb welded together since it disintegrated the first day I had it.) so I need to figure out that issue before I can get it back out.

How are you liking those tires? Mine won't last long, they are already starting to crack and dryrot but they were a great experiment. They do provide alot of grip when i need it.

Last edited by Dirty; 02-13-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typos like a mofo
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post

Ball link the steering to eliminate slop, this things steering is looser then a $2 .
do you know where to get this? I look and look for jl10e upgrades and i have a hard time finding any.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The tires I have are used and like I said, the knuckle broke on me while testing, o it has been sitting on the shelf till I get moved back to New York next month. So I am not sure how well they work yet, lol.

I was just going to get some ball links and threaded rod and make my own, these ball cups are too sloppy. I need a better servo too, the Futaba 3003 is a sluggish POS. I am gonna get me a TB01 off ebay and make it my hardcore rally rig, this might get turned back into a touring car again, after seeing how weak the knuckles are, I don't think its gonna take much abuse for rally driving. Maybe I will just sell it, you interested? Its been run 3 times total. Once as a drifter, once as a touring car and once for less then 3 minutes setup like it is now, never seen any dirt other then the wet dust on edge of my street.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

U
Quote:
The tires I have are used and like I said, the knuckle broke on me while testing, o it has been sitting on the shelf till I get moved back to New York next month. So I am not sure how well they work yet, lol.

I was just going to get some ball links and threaded rod and make my own, these ball cups are too sloppy. I need a better servo too, the Futaba 3003 is a sluggish POS. I am gonna get me a TB01 off ebay and make it my hardcore rally rig, this might get turned back into a touring car again, after seeing how weak the knuckles are, I don't think its gonna take much abuse for rally driving. Maybe I will just sell it, you interested? Its been run 3 times total. Once as a drifter, once as a touring car and once for less then 3 minutes setup like it is now, never seen any dirt other then the wet dust on edge of my street.
I too had thought about tightening up the slop in the steering, but I have found that it is less noticeable in loose dirt and gravel. I just had mine out today for its first out of backyard experience. I beat the snot out of it and it held up. I'm not sure why your knuckle busted so easily. I have found some aluminum suspension components from nitrohouse.com I think it is.

As far as being interested in buying it I would have to pass, however I am interested in the tires if you decide to convert back to on road.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I will keep you in mind if I decide to sell them. Pics look good. I will have a look at that site for any alloy pieces that might help. When I get this thing going, I plan to run it like I stole it, so it needs to hold up or its no use to me and its gone.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I will keep you in mind if I decide to sell them. Pics look good. I will have a look at that site for any alloy pieces that might help. When I get this thing going, I plan to run it like I stole it, so it needs to hold up or its no use to me and its gone.
Yea so far the only thing that "broke" was the ball diffs.

I did however install some protective pizazz. The dust cover will be next.
Rear

Front

This was the cause of the free spinning front wheel.

Broke the jb weld free.

Also I found while I was installing the rear boots.

Juust a little tweaked, but the way I have been driving it isn't see it lasting too long so universals may be in the near future.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I started thinking earlier today about the rally car and the neccesity for mudflaps. Not only will it keep the larger debris from klunking around the chassis and bouncing off gears but it shall look sweet as well. Had an idea and had to try it, I'm pretty glad I did.

So far I only have the front end done. But before we get to that lets see how it started out....

(Wayne's World fade out/in)

I had spare body posts floating around and I decided I was going to find a use for them and then the lightbulb went off.

Made sure to bend and mount the posts so I could still use the holes to secure the flap I had prepared outa something or other I had floating around, Looks like pleather

Pinned in place

Then add some needle and thread

And repeat

Worked out well I'd say, but the rear will be a bit more difficult.

Shots with the body on

That's about it for now
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

I dig the setup. Was actually looking at one of these for a rally car. Cant decide between a tt01 or something like this.
Eurpeiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurpeiths View Post
I dig the setup. Was actually looking at one of these for a rally car. Cant decide between a tt01 or something like this.
Do yourself a favor and just pick up a tamiya DF-03ra. Way better than the jl10 or the tt01.

Ofna JL10e Shafty rally conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas 1/16 Stage Rally Conversion DeweyCJ5 Rally 42 02-28-2014 02:01 PM
Super Shafty 2.2 Lockout Conversion Review **Updated 5/12** reddevildemo Kyosho Crawlers 19 05-15-2011 10:18 AM
OFNA Ultra LX conversion Super Woody Non Crawler RC's 4 03-21-2010 08:42 AM
Shafty Conversion to Hot-Racing MOA '04 Rubicon General Crawlers 64 12-04-2008 09:13 AM