Notices

Thread: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you had the same idea I did not want to seem that I was guiding you to do something you did not want to do. I like how your thinking works on your builds and look forward to see what you come up with next.
No worries, mate I take suggestions pretty well, criticism too (maybe not AS well ). Good ideas come from lots of places and people.
I grew up in a "son, be sure to wipe all those wrenches clean and put them back in the right place" kind of house, in the 70's. Dad was a Garlits fan, and his pickups always had sharp wheels, wide tires and usually exhaust and carb' work too. I've had grease under my fingernails since my tricycles.
I guess that's why I kinda go "old school" with my stuff, heck, I WENT to the old school. Thanks for the friendly exchange, and good words. Opinions are always welcome here.

Back to biz'... I got a more proper hanger rod made for the wheelie-bars. Handle on one end, drilled a hole for a clip on the other.

And with that, I put the wheelie's back on (I'm happy with her "slow/tow" performance ) and put the 10t pinion and the new 54t spur in.
Made some "temp-a-tubs" from poster board, here's after just 2 "wet" runs ....

... glad all that isn't in my body or electrics.
Then I took it on the porch for these. By request, burnout vid's.
I didn't want to paint a stripe on my tire, so I stuck a bright orange foam earplug in a spoke to help it show up better.
Here she is "splashin" in a puddle ....

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...ps8j2zaeyl.mp4

she pulls surprisingly hard even with wet feet. But then I let the clean tires try it. I had to lift the rear, just a little bit, to keep her spinnin' more than tuggin'.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psuxis0g2c.mp4

I did 1 ea. test run before the vid', and after the dry burn's, it had left these......

"Tony the tiger'd" on smooth concrete. OH yeeah.
Sorry there's no smoke, I looked for the "smoke-juice" from my old rc tank... no luck. But the stripes are a trophy in my book.

Oh, got the tag done for "tracks" pic' time.

I just silicone 'em on, so I can change 'em easy. I usually print and laminate a few extra while I'm fixin' 'em.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-25-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: bad links
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2016, 03:15 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Nice burnouts that thing really does have some serious pulling power to it.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #103
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice burnouts that thing really does have some serious pulling power to it.
Thanks I gotta give credit to Pro-Line, these Stryker II's are around 25 yrs old, 2.2's stretched over 2.8 wheels, and they're layin' rubber from traction, NOT rot. and Hookin' UP!
And I have another pair if she eats these.
I was watching the drags today (4-Wide Nationals ), and now the Pro-Stockers don't HAVE scoops, just "cowl-induction" style humps. I kinda miss the big snorkels, and that's what I'm thinkin' for the 'Jockey (a snork'l).
Old 04-25-2016, 03:08 PM   #104
Quarry Creeper

Scoop, Cowl induction or snorkel one of those big lumps that you can't see your right front corner with. Or you could put a fake blower on.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Scoop, Cowl induction or snorkel one of those big lumps that you can't see your right front corner with. Or you could put a fake blower on.
I thought about a blower, but I'm kinda leanin' towards a 2K era pro-stock style, like this older Glidden car ....

I think a wider opening will fit the wide hood, but I don't want a boxy look, I like the curvy scoops a little better.
But I need to work on the 'chute and the bed-cover first. (while I look for something to make a scoop )
Old 04-26-2016, 03:59 AM   #106
RCC Addict

Just kill'in it, Jockey looks awesome, and hornless is a bonus! Let me know if you need the pattern for the chute, I found it online for a 1:25 scale build and just added some size to it for the 1:10 scale stuff.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Just kill'in it, Jockey looks awesome, and hornless is a bonus! Let me know if you need the pattern for the chute, I found it online for a 1:25 scale build and just added some size to it for the 1:10 scale stuff.
Thanks , I am LOVIN' this truck. The "fun-factor" has just jumped overboard .... and swam to a tropical island paradise.
I've been studying your "Gasser..." pic's, and checking out Simpson's and Stroud's pack's online, but YEAH, a pattern would be great. Anything helpful is always appreciated.
I've GOTTA make one of these for mine too, they're Stroud's and they're just too cool.

You need a couple of 'em too.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Been meaning to ask it you are going to put an interior in the truck. That is the style of scoop I was referring to. Tonau cover looks good too.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Been meaning to ask it you are going to put an interior in the truck. That is the style of scoop I was referring to. Tonau cover looks good too.
OK, now it's gettin' spooky. Just today the Axial "interior accessories" arrived in the mail. I've got steering wheels, armrests, etc....
so, since you asked I'm thinkin' about a "top-half" interior, down to the bottom of the dash, bucket seats , roll-bar. I don't want to move the electrics to the front (I like the hole-shots) and the bed is pretty much all tire and motor , so a shallow interior it is. I'll probably make it removable in case it messes with the wheelie-launches.
Yeah, I checked out a bunch of different scoop styles, and I liked that one the best. I think it'll "fit" the hood right.
And Thanks .... it helps "match" the set, don't it.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-28-2016 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 04-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

I've been itching to make some "lakes" pipes for the 'Jockey, so I got out the 1/2in alum' rod and dove in. First I did up the bends, then took them to the drill-press to open the ends. I did the holes in 3 steps so I could keep track of depth and center as I punched 'em out.

Then drilled and tapped m3 blind holes in the backs to mount them. I painted the inside of the trumpets flat-black, gave 'em a quick "brushed" polish with 320 grit, and mocked 'em up to mark the holes in the chassis....

.... and hung 'em on the sides.

Now I just need to make some plugs (maybe polish 'em better) to finish 'em up.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-30-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #111
Rock Crawler

This past weekend I got some side-mirrors re-worked and while I was painting them, I got the front post tops shot purple too.

I found a set of "drift car details", wipers that were way too huge for my windshield, "tuner" style mufflers ... NOT, a set of plastic brake rotors (then I snagged the Brembo's ) and these mirrors that I liked. They were set up to mount in the corner of the windows, with stems. But after some cutting, and filing, and sanding, and drilling them for a new straight-pin stem, they worked out alright. I like 'em anyway.

It's amazing to me, how much difference such a small detail can make. I think a rig without mirrors just looks like a toy. Or like a bald person with no ears.

Now I need to get some black cloth for the 'chute and, I guess, some styrene to start on an interior.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Ok, I finally got my 'chute pack made. I was waiting to get some black cloth, but I decided to make a practice piece. Then it was stitching together well enough that I decided "custom is custom ... is custom", and I went with the color-matched pack.

Got my release cable and all removable with the "receiver-'chute". Made my "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag too. I had to get in touch with my inner "stitch-witch" for this one, sewing it was kind of a PITA. But now she's "officially" ready to break 150-mph in the quarter-mile. (not 200 tho' )

Now I need some net for the wheelies.

Time to get some plastic to make a hood-scoop and an interior. I've been looking at the Corbeau seats (Poison Spider style), but I may just make some similar.

.... or somethin'.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Chute looks perfect. The mirrors are like earirngs on that beautiful girl.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:18 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Chute looks perfect. The mirrors are like earirngs on that beautiful girl.
Thanks, as I installed the mirrors, I was chucklin' and thinkin' ... m .. i .. c .. k .. e .. y .... , but I like the "earrings" idea better.
And I decided the chute-flag was just a bit big, so I printed another one ... smaller. I think it looks more scale now.

I cleaned up the wiring inside the body too, and while I did, I swapped out the taillight leds from 5mm whites to 3mm reds. It helped to tone 'em down and "red" 'em up.

I am lovin' this little truck.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:56 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

The stance of the truck back is perfect. Put a driver, christmas tree and put the hammer down. Great build.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:17 PM   #116
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The stance of the truck back is perfect. Put a driver, christmas tree and put the hammer down. Great build.
Thanks when I see her at that angle I can almost feel the rumble and smell the alcohol and nitro' in the air.
... just don't "jump" the light.

I took some new shots of her at sunset, with her earrings and belt ('pipes) and the new taillights lit-up .... with a topless boat.
Here's a couple ....

and a "face" shot ....

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-06-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added new pic's
Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Well, haven't made much progress on the 'Jockey this past week. I took her down to the highway and measured out 132ft. She's gets kinda tricky on the big end of the "quarter-mile", so I spent this months budget on a new Traxxas TSM receiver. It should get here in a couple days, and she should stabilize a bunch.
Meanwhile I decided she needed another small but "big" detail, so I got out a couple of the scraps that I cut out of the chassis and started in ....

... by hacksawing a ball-park shape, then using some files, I roughed in a better shape and bent down the "thumb-button" tabs (the top one was a first try, but it stuck out too far after I bent it). Then with some more filing and shaping, I got 'em drilled for the 'buttons and put a little polish on 'em.

Used 2 more pieces of the small brazing rod for "thumb-buttons", filed the ends and painted 'em silver.

And got both sides mounted.

I need to get some "lock cylinders" put in too ....

... but I'm really happy with the results ... especially for scraps.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 05-16-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: ooops
Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
Well, haven't made much progress on the 'Jockey this past week. I took her down to the highway and measured out 132ft. She's gets kinda tricky on the big end of the "quarter-mile", so I spent this months budget on a new Traxxas TSM receiver. It should get here in a couple days, and she should stabilize a bunch.

Meanwhile I decided she needed another small but "big" detail, so I got out a couple of the scraps that I cut out of the chassis and started in ....

... by hacksawing a ball-park shape, then using some files, I roughed in a better shape and bent down the "thumb-button" tabs (the top one was a first try, but it stuck out too far after I bent it). Then with some more filing and shaping, I got 'em drilled for the 'buttons and put a little polish on 'em.

Used 2 more pieces of the small brazing rod for "thumb-buttons", filed the ends and painted 'em silver.

And got both sides mounted.

I need to get some "lock cylinders" put in too ....

... but I'm really happy with the results ... especially for scraps.

Wow that's detail right there... I don't have the patience for that.
Bmxreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
Wow that's detail right there... I don't have the patience for that.
When you're a "Dr." the patience just show up all the time.

and Thanks.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
When you're a "Dr." the patience just show up all the time.

and Thanks.

Yes that is true, and your welcome.
Bmxreeves is offline   Reply With Quote

F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girly grave robber extreme Paint and Body 14 07-13-2009 06:11 PM
Grave Robber for crawler rr14 Paint and Body 14 01-27-2009 08:49 AM
grave robber NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 4 01-25-2009 04:48 PM